UNT's schedule is out... We will not rest

Brett Vito

I don't think I've once ever heard him say anything of the sort. This is posturing.

IF he does come out and say that, then obviously we would expect the tickets to be 'included' in our season ticket package that we're paying for... and even then, that's really lame.

I doubt he'll ever say this, take the kick in the teeth, and move on.

I'm pretty sure the "@SMU as a home game" is something that got started here.

I don't think I've once ever heard him say anything of the sort. This is posturing.

IF he does come out and say that, then obviously we would expect the tickets to be 'included' in our season ticket package that we're paying for... and even then, that's really lame.

I doubt he'll ever say this, take the kick in the teeth, and move on.

Obviously he is not going to come out and actually market SMU as a home game. He has been very dismissive about it and not offered any real explanation, however, and it wouldn't surprise me if he has insinuated that SMU would be like a home game to folks in private. He also didn't say stop your wining, but I guess I need to not put quotes to make it obvious that it's not a direct quote...

Saying SMU is a home game so stop your wining is a slap in the face.

I don't have an exact quote, but I could have sworn he said just that in one of the Barbershop Podcasts.

Obviously he didn't mean it in a literal sense.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

Is it possible we could still get a game the first weekend of September ? If XYZ Southern University called and wanted to play at Apogee that first weekend could we still schedule them ?

No. We'd need to reschedule one of the four out of conference games and that ain't happening this late in the game.

Who is arguing this with you anymore?

Nobody is. So what is your point in repeating the same old diatribe?

The guy seemed to indicate he thought this was a haphazard RV decision. It wasn't. He was forced into this because of previous scheduling errors on his part.

That was the point.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Some of you guys are weird. On the surface we would have killed for the teams on this schedule this year just 3 short years ago. Other than Portland State all decent name type programs. And having an FCS at home isn't a problem. I get all the don't schedule on Halloween, or Thanksgiving, or Texas/OU comments, but that is really not my concern, because i'd be at Apogee anyway. The only reason those dates are a problem is because the team doesn't win so we don't have bandwagon fans. And some of those games cannot be helped as they are conference so whatever.

But, opening week bye, only 5 home game, and Tennessee and Iowa on the road. Having all 3 of those happen in the same season is pretty pathetic.

So I like the names listed, but those last three points make me hate this schedule.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops
  • Upvote 1

It's cause we're harshing his buzz. He really cares deeply about tailgating and drinking with his friends. The game is a nice add on. Those of us wanting to actually win games are just distracting from that.

And just in case you are wonder where I fall on this split: I love you all for being Mean Green fans, truly, from the bottom of my Mean Green heart... but I would personally beat everyone in this thread to death with a Brandon Kennedy bobble head to get us into another bowl game.

Knowing your posts historically, I'm going to take that as tongue firmly implanted in cheek.

This type of stuff is what RV needs to see to get the message. When MGC membership is hurt maybe he will finally listen. I honestly would be less angry if we got a "Hey guys, I screwed up. I wanted to set us up for a favorable schedule down the road and this year I just dropped the ball," or something along those lines. Saying SMU is a home game so stop your wining is a slap in the face.

In fairness, RV never said SMU was an alternate home game. I feel only because he was preempted in doing so by posts on this very forum.

I also agree that if RV came out and said "I realize I haven't worked hard enough on scheduling to allow for proper flexibilty and to draw quality opponents. This is my fault and has led to the precarious position of being forced to schedule 5 home games this year. I will do better in the future. Just realize that we needed to schedule 5 home games this year to recover some scheduling flexibility. I don't like it, and I will make sure it doesn't happen again," I would cut him a ton of slack.

But he won't. And we all know why.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

what a brutal three game road stretch: @ Louisiana Tech (Nov 7), @ Tennessee (Nov 14), and @ Middle Tenn (Nov 21)

And right when we theoretically will be trying to become bowl eligible. What a terrible schedule. Unless they really get beat up in their home opener against Baylor, going in cold against SMU after they've been warmed up against tough competition isn't great either. I like nothing about this.

It's cause we're harshing his buzz. He really cares deeply about tailgating and drinking with his friends. The game is a nice add on. Those of us wanting to actually win games are just distracting from that.

And just in case you are wonder where I fall on this split: I love you all for being Mean Green fans, truly, from the bottom of my Mean Green heart... but I would personally beat everyone in this thread to death with a Brandon Kennedy bobble head to get us into another bowl game.

Let's be real: You would never risk damaging that bobblehead.

• Upvote 1

So we built this amazing new stadium and Do t get the opportunity to sit in it 5 times again this year?

It's a beating reading 90 type about it over and over... but he's absolutely right that it's a colossall failure on RVs behalf. Maybe he's banking on us reaching basketball levels of ineptitude and people just not caring anymore?

• Upvote 1

Coach Mac provided an explanation on the 5 home games in their release:

DENTON - The 2015 North Texas football schedule features two first-time meetings, seven opponents that played in bowl games last season, and the return to the site of one of the greatest victories in Mean Greenhistory .

For the first time since 1975, North Texas will play at Tennessee on Nov. 14. The Mean Green's only game against the Volunteers, on Oct. 25, 1975, in Knoxville, ended in a memorable 21-14 upset win for North Texas, a game in which the Mean Green defense forced five turnovers and senior running back Sears Woods scored three touchdowns, including the game winner on a fourth-quarter, 98-yard kickoff return.

The 2015 schedule, which was released Monday, opens with two regional rivals - SMU under first-year coach Chad Morris in Dallas on Sept. 12 and the home- and conference-opener against Rice on Sept. 19.

"The good news is we begin the season with two games against regional rivals that will be easy for all of our fans to attend," North Texas coach Dan McCarney said. "Hosting Rice to begin our C-USA schedule will be huge."

The Mean Green will face two schools for the first time in program history. On Sept. 26, North Texas will make its first trip to the Hawkeye State to face head coach Dan McCarney's alma mater Iowa in Iowa City. It will be just the second Big 10 opponent North Texas has ever played.

The other first-ever meeting is against Portland State at Apogee Stadium on Oct. 10.

The Conference USA portion of the schedule includes a first meeting in league play at defending-conference champion Marshall on Oct. 24, and a first meeting in Conference USA play against former Sun Belt opponent Western Kentucky on Oct. 17 at Apogee Stadium. North Texas also faces UTSA in Denton, Louisiana Tech and Middle Tennessee on the road, and UTEP in the final regular-season game on Nov. 28.

Overall, the Mean Green will play seven road games with five home contests.

"With the changing landscape of Conference USA since 2012, including UAB's departure just last month, scheduling has been a challenge to say the least," McCarney said. "Contracted non-conference home openers with Tulsa in 2013 and 2015 were lost when we joined the league. Fortunately, we were able to fill 2013 with Idaho , but couldn't find another FBS home opponent for 2015, despite our due diligence."

First off, that is a conference game, so RV doesn't really get to pick. I doubt most of the others in the conference want to play on Halloween either, so we drew the short straw just like half of the conference did. Second, do we even know that it is a night game?

Always the defender. God love ya. ;-)

They have conference meetings where ADs from all conference schools attend and the schedule is worked through.

RV has a voice, but with his negotiating abilities, this is what we get. Couldn't negotiate to have a home game EITHER on Halloween OR Texas-OU day? Apparently not. We get both.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that this is the culmination of years of scheduling neglect, not just one happenstance year, and that neglect has cost this program revenue and fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So Coach Mac will talk about it, but not one word from the AD, who is responsible for football scheduling?

Amazing.

And let me get this straight. We knew we were entering CUSA in 2012 and couldn't find a home game replacement for the 2015 opener? Hogwash, Coach Mac.

Did Tulsa find a replacement on 2014 for UNT? The answer, of course, is yes.

This schedule was done the moment Tennessee was added, and everyone at the AD knew as much at that time. Iowa and SMU were already signed away OOC games, so adding Portland St. simply got us to 5 home games.

Everything else anyone from the AD or UNT tells you is untrue.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So Coach Mac will talk about it, but not one word from the AD, who is responsible for football scheduling?

Amazing.

It's just a press release, so maybe a reporter or two will call the AD for comment as well versus running with what's been handed to them?

It's just a press release, so maybe a reporter or two will call the AD for comment as well versus running with what's been handed to them?

RV has had multiple chances to address it. 2 chances with Harry on podcasts. He non-answered and the first confirmation we get of a 5 game schedule is when the MF'n schedule is released publicly? And the comment doesn't come from the freakiing AD?

Smallest time AD in college football, my friends.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Contracted home openers with Tulsa were lost in 2013 and 2015? So this wasn't going to be a home and home? I have a hard time believing both those games were going to be at home for us.

Unless we truly got Tulsa to agree for a 2 for none, then we would've traveled to Tulsa in 2013 instead of played Idaho at home, and had a 5-game home schedule in 2013. Or that still would've been a road game this year, and we could've had all 4 non-conference games be on the road. Because I'm pretty sure Tennessee, Iowa, and SMU were already in place back then.

I'm still having a hard time buying that excuse.

• Upvote 2

RV has had multiple chances to address it. 2 chances with Harry on podcasts. He non-answered and the first confirmation we get of a 5 game schedule is when the MF'n schedule is released publicly? And the comment doesn't come from the freakiing AD?

Smallest time AD in college football, my friends.

Wasn't disagreeing with you - just hoping the question gets asked.