MGB: Weekend recruiting primer

Brett Vito

OFFICIAL TECH VISITS THIS WEEKEND

Name: Paul Banks
Position: Cornerback
Height/weight: 6-1/175
Rating: No. 25 CB, No. 195 player (juco)
Ranking: Three stars
Offers: North Texas
Committed to: North Texas
No 247Sports Crystal Ball picks

Name: Conner Dyer
Position: Offensive tackle
Height/weight: 6-4/276
Rating: No. 25 OT, No. 255 player
Ranking: Four stars
Offers: Arkansas, Baylor and Cal, among others
Committed to: Texas Tech

Read more: http://texastech.247sports.com/Article/Techs-scheduled-visitors-for-this-week-35078654

Not a good sign for Texas Tech that they are competing with us for players, but it is a positive sign for us to have Big 12-caliber kids committed.

Exactly, decommits can be a good indication you are after the right players which is encouraging if you consider it.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but I think we are clinging to the silver lining here a bit too much. A decommit from one of our better recruits this late in the game is not a good thing. Sure, it helps confirm that our coaches are identifying legitimate D1 players (I never doubted that they were, overall), but it also makes one of the lowest ranked recruiting classes in CUSA get even worse. Do not delude yourselves into thinking that Tech is "competing with us" for Banks. They are trying to determine if they are desperate enough to make a late offer. If they are, they will snatch him up in a minute with no shots fired.

Now, I agree with some others who have said that Grindle appears to be an equally promising prospect. If we land him, then I'll feel a lot better, and that will effectively mitigate this loss.

• Upvote 2

They hate the fact that they are competing with us, la tech and nutsack. Kliff has lost his sheen.

Yeah, if I were them I wouldn't be too happy. It'd be one thing if it were a UNT recruit like Tee Goree, who did have numerous G5 and even a few P5 offers. Wheeler is not an awful pickup for them, considering they already had a good O-line haul besides him. But Banks would really be a sign of them reaching.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but I think we are clinging to the silver lining here a bit too much. A decommit from one of our better recruits this late in the game is not a good thing. Sure, it helps confirm that our coaches are identifying legitimate D1 players (I never doubted that they were, overall), but it also makes one of the lowest ranked recruiting classes in CUSA get even worse. Do not delude yourselves into thinking that Tech is "competing with us" for Banks. They are trying to determine if they are desperate enough to make a late offer. If they are, they will snatch him up in a minute with no shots fired

Yeah, I wouldn't use the word "competing" either. And I'm not even sure it helps verify that we're getting legitimate D1 guys. Banks was a bit of a reach, even for us, and it took us missing out on multiple JUCO corners (Lane, Brown, Bailey, Decoud) and parting ways with Bingham after tearing his ACL before we even considered Banks. The DC at Tech offered Banks at Houston and might offer him now at Tech after their other options have fallen through. Houston is the only school who offered him before and Tech might be the only other school to offer him besides us since then.

Yeah, if I were them I wouldn't be too happy. It'd be one thing if it were a UNT recruit like Tee Goree, who did have numerous G5 and even a few P5 offers. Wheeler is not an awful pickup for them, considering they already had a good O-line haul besides him. But Banks would really be a sign of them reaching.

Yeah, I wouldn't use the word "competing" either. And I'm not even sure it helps verify that we're getting legitimate D1 guys. Banks was a bit of a reach, even for us, and it took us missing out on multiple JUCO corners (Lane, Brown, Bailey, Decoud) and parting ways with Bingham after tearing his ACL before we even considered Banks. The DC at Tech offered Banks at Houston and might offer him now at Tech after their other options have fallen through. Houston is the only school who offered him before and Tech might be the only other school to offer him besides us since then.

I think it's a good sign that bigger schools are going after our players. Even if tech does not offer, I consider it legitimate intrest and feel more comfortable that he can hold his own on a D1 football field. a big incentive for getting JUCOs is getting one that can come in mid term and compete in the spring. Banks and these other late JUCOs could still be very good solid D1 players that teams want, but not being able to sign and come in the Spring dropped their stock. Players like these can only be counted on for depth and maybe the following year. The chances of them starting next year are slim without a spring camp. Doesn't mean they can't play D1 football, just bad timing and not enough time for them to learn the system.

• Upvote 1