'15 JUCO LB Demetrius Cain (Mississippi)

BillySee58

yeah... Fonzale signed his LOI but that was invalidated by him not being able to enroll. Jalen Adams actually did enroll but left after about a week. Maybe they are currently trying to verify that they can get Cain a spot for sure.

I think you're right, because the 25 only counts for players that actually enroll by the beginning of fall. So there is a chance Fonzale doesn't count.

Yes, you can backcount spots into the previous class with midterm enrollees, but we used all of last year's spots. Even though guys like Adams and Denucci left before ever playing, or Fonzale Davis never actually getting enrolled, to my knowledge you don't get those spots back if they sign. That's part of the risk. We used all of last year's spots, between the high school, JUCOs, FBS transfer, grayshirt, and walkons counting.

Also, Cain took down his tweet of committing to us.

To me, that's the most confusing part of this thread. There is some disagreement about this, and BillySee58 walked it back, but I'm still trying to figure out (1.) Does one who signs a LOI and doesn't enroll count against your 25, and (2.) if he doesn't, does that add to your next years 25, or allow you to use it for a walk on for the year the LOI was signed (since obviously it's hard finding guys you want who haven't signed by some point).

To me, that's the most confusing part of this thread. There is some disagreement about this, and BillySee58 walked it back, but I'm still trying to figure out (1.) Does one who signs a LOI and doesn't enroll count against your 25, and (2.) if he doesn't, does that add to your next years 25, or allow you to use it for a walk on for the year the LOI was signed (since obviously it's hard finding guys you want who haven't signed by some point).

No, it was a mistake on my part. You get 25 scholarship enrollees by the beginning of the upcoming fall camp. I had learned that before, I just forgot.

No, I asked specifically about him and Mac said the class we signed is all the scholarships we had.

Well, I guess that answers the basic question, but the whole thing seems a bit odd. It makes me wonder if he wasn't brought in on a visit to hedge against someone else getting flipped late. Otherwise, just bring someone in to visit just to...have them visit?

Well, I guess that is the chance you take by waiting to commit. Assuming he had a committable offer.

Saw what seemed to be disturbing tweet from him later in the day. Hope he finds something. Seems like a very good player.

My theory: our coaches did not know that they would flip Young and get Murray back until after Cain left without a commitment. They knew they needed more at the DT position, especially after the news of Dutton giving up football, and they already knew they wanted Murray, so took them at the first opportunity, thus leaving us with no scholarship for Cain when he was ready to commit (today).

Based on other threads, it seems like there may have been the ability to add more than 25 this class by sliding one of the mid term enrollees to the 2014 class, but we did not do it. I wonder if 25 put us at the 85 limit, which would have made back counting a signee a moot point. I remember Coach Mac mentioning a while back that we would be at 85 for the first time since he got here after this class.

Edit: Forgot to think about any walk ons that were put on scholarship during Fall camp. If there were any then they would have counted toward the 2014 class and potentially put us at the 25 limit for 2014. Can't remember off hand.

Edited by greenit

I suspect we are working with him to find him a spot. His tweet today indicates he plans to join us. Indicates to me that we are talking with him about the best way to do that. By the time he can get here in the Fall, we will likely have a spot.

GMG

Hope you are correct.

I suspect we are working with him to find him a spot. His tweet today indicates he plans to join us. Indicates to me that we are talking with him about the best way to do that. By the time he can get here in the Fall, we will likely have a spot.

GMG

I sure hope that your suspicions turn out to be true. And it's hard to think there won't be a way to make it happen. Did anyone notice that during this recruiting cycle that we were operating much more like the big boys. Hey, it's not like we were sitting around unprepared when someone got flipped, or gave up on someone too early, the recruiting just continued. And I'm like Harry, hey I want him here; but I am still very happy that we got the late pickups that we did, especially Harrison, Young and Murray. My guess is, that if the coaches are working on some way to get him here, we won't hear any more about it until they have every detail ironed out.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1