'15 JUCO LB Demetrius Cain (Mississippi)

BillySee58

6'1" 215 lb linebacker from East Mississippi CC. Was named 1st team All American JUCO linebacker. Also holds an offer from Southern Miss, on his rivals profile. Also has held offers at some point from Mississippi State, Troy, and Minnesota. Had over 4000 yards rushing in his high school career as a running back in Hazlehurst, Mississippi.

Highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3214436/demetrius-cain

http://jcfootball.scout.com/a.z?s=87&p=8&c=1&nid=8135518

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Demetrius-Cain-168184

I like this guy, I like him a lot.

I also really, really like the fact that the staff is going JUCO heavy in this class. I think we should make us JUCO U in terms of football. I've never been a believer in "the plan" that a lot of coaches talk about. There is no better time than the present. These JUCO's we are bringing in this year aren't like the past either. These dudes have potential and the ability to make an immediate impact.

Now, c'mon home Mr. Cain. GMG

I like this guy, I like him a lot.

I also really, really like the fact that the staff is going JUCO heavy in this class. I think we should make us JUCO U in terms of football. I've never been a believer in "the plan" that a lot of coaches talk about. There is no better time than the present. These JUCO's we are bringing in this year aren't like the past either. These dudes have potential and the ability to make an immediate impact.

Now, c'mon home Mr. Cain. GMG

I dont like the idea of going JUCO heavy every year but this year we have too. I think bring in a freshman class each year is a good thing, just as long as they are quality ball players.

Once we restock, I wish we would just go after the best athlete out there whether they are JUCO or HS that are willing to come and play here

I like going JUCO. Its better than getting high schools kid just to get to a certain number. The only high school kids we should get are those we really want and ones that they feel can work in the system. Cant get anymore high school kids who are barely D1 talent anymore if this program is going to improve.

At least a JUCO may be able to come in and provide immediate depth and play on special teams. If they dont work out, you only have them for two years vs having a guy that may barely be able to step on a D1 field on your roster for 4 or 5 years.

• Upvote 1

I like going JUCO. Its better than getting high schools kid just to get to a certain number. The only high school kids we should get are those we really want and ones that they feel can work in the system. Cant get anymore high school kids who are barely D1 talent anymore if this program is going to improve.

At least a JUCO may be able to come in and provide immediate depth and play on special teams. If they dont work out, you only have them for two years vs having a guy that may barely be able to step on a D1 field on your roster for 4 or 5 years.

Very well said I totally agree
  • Upvote 1

So what if you can get a kid in here as a freshman and he can make and impact for 3-4 years? Cant we cut dead weight if they dont pan out?

If you do have a freshman that can come in here and be a positive pick up, then he will be here for 4-5 years and that kind of pick up can be a leader on and off the field. All the stud players that we have had in years past have come in here as freshmen and yes there are a few examples of JUCO players coming in like Marcus Trice and making an impact but there are not too many. I am sure I am forgetting some but there are not too many examples I can think of.

Edited by Withers940
  • Upvote 1

JUCO should only be used for immediate, pressing needs. We only have 25 scholarships to provide every year. If we give all of them to JUCOs, your roster # depletes. We'll likely feel the effects of this JUCO-heavy class in a few years when they graduate. You must focus on H.S. talent to keep your numbers up.

So what if you can get a kid in here as a freshman and he can make and impact for 3-4 years? Cant we cut dead weight if they dont pan out?

If you do have a freshman that can come in here and be a positive pick up, then he will be here for 4-5 years and that kind of pick up can be a leader on and off the field. All the stud players that we have had in years past have come in here as freshmen and yes there are a few examples of JUCO players coming in like Marcus Trice and making an impact but there are not too many. I am sure I am forgetting some but there are not too many examples I can think of.

Mr. Trice was no JUCO. He was a starter at OU. Had a problem with their practice schedule, and transferred here.

• Upvote 1

JUCO should only be used for immediate, pressing needs. We only have 25 scholarships to provide every year. If we give all of them to JUCOs, your roster # depletes. We'll likely feel the effects of this JUCO-heavy class in a few years when they graduate. You must focus on H.S. talent to keep your numbers up.

Mr. Trice was no JUCO. He was a starter at OU. Had a problem with their practice schedule, and transferred here.

Oh I knew he was from OU but I meant not coming here strait out of HS.

Almost every single producer that we have had in the last 4-5 years have been HS recruits.

Thompson, Dunbar, Chancellor, Carlos Harris, Bryd, and etc.

Big time players have to be developed and raised from the ground up, not just imported in from another farm. I couldnt agree with you more MeanGreenTexan, If you go JUCO heavy every year and you have 1 bad year in recruiting JUCO players you are F'ed.

I agree that I'd rather have a good JUCO player signed than a marginal high school prospect who will likely never play here. But I don't get why we can't sign better high school prospects. There are so many players in DFW, East Texas, and all over Texas, and even Oklahoma who are solid CUSA prospects and don't have any P5 offers. Even our guys who are currently class headliners were guys who had other offers but not schools we should have too much trouble beating out. I don't see why we can't fill our class with guys like Creighton Barr, Ashton Preston, and D'Aundrey Bradley, etc, rather than have them be our most recruited signings.

You've mentioned this before, but we're really missing the work Noah Joseph was doing for us in Houston. I really hope that starts picking up again, because Houston really has some good players but we don't have the proximity advantage we do with DFW and East Texas. We need an ace guy down there.

• Upvote 1

But if we are able to make it to a bowl game or two with this juco class it will help the HS recruiting!! Watch the beyond the green episode where Mac is talking about when he was at Iowa state and went heavy with a juco class, got players like Tim Dobbins and Lamarcus Hicks.. As they went and won back to back bowl games!! Maybe we can get the same results! It would def help make recruiting easier

• Upvote 1

A lot going on here. Taking 3 May-graduate JUCOs is very risky (if we do sign Cain). That means both that they were not qualifiers out of high school and that they were not able to get their associates degree by December. Signing 3, it'd be pretty unlikely that all 3 would make it to campus.

Also, if he's planning to wait to sign until after signing day then it'll be interesting to see what we do with spots in the class. Who signs with us on signing day and who doesn't, and who doesn't sign because they are asked to grayshirt. If we're recruiting him then I'm sure we're going to save him a spot somehow.

Edited by BillySee58

Are we ready for them Mississippi boys? Hell we've been getting ready longer than almost anybody has ever lived. They've got the Delta Blues and Mississippi John Hurt; we've got Deep Ellum and Blind Lemon Jefferson. Even folks on this forum can spell Mississippi. Anybody ever hear of a tractor driver out of Mississippi named Charlie Pride? He came to Texas to make it big.

Edited by eulessismore