Denia concerned about Sack n Save; Dead convention center idea

Harry

Several Denia members said they were concerned about having a neighborhood grocery. They asked Watts not only about the status of Sack & Save but also the prospect of a new grocery store at Rayzor Ranch Town Center.

Denia member Alice Gore said clerks at the Sack & Save told her the store could close as soon as April.

Watts said he didn’t know when the neighborhood grocery might close, but he thought it might be sooner rather than later. The University of North Texas recently announced its plans to acquire the property. But he thought the city’s growth, and particularly the growth in median income, could help attract a new grocery store nearby.

Part of the problem for Rayzor Ranch was that retailers on the south side of West University Drive, at Rayzor Ranch Town Center, cannot have gas pumps. Deed restrictions meant to help the north side of Rayzor Ranch have affected options for the south side, he said.

Members of the Denia group were also concerned about the convention center development. They asked whether it was possible that UNT could still build a center even though the city abandoned the public-private partnership that would have helped pay for it.

The convention center was proposed for UNT land that is adjacent to the Denia neighborhood.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20150127-mayor-touts-citys-growth.ece

The Albertson's location on Loop 288 still sits empty and there is a Brookshires on Teasley Lane.

If they want a grocery store at Rayzor Ranch what's wrong with the Albertaon's that is already there?

In addition to that there is both a Sams Club and Walmart on the other side of University Drive.

Several Denia members said they were concerned about having a neighborhood grocery. They asked Watts not only about the status of Sack & Save but also the prospect of a new grocery store at Rayzor Ranch Town Center.

Denia member Alice Gore said clerks at the Sack & Save told her the store could close as soon as April.

Watts said he didn’t know when the neighborhood grocery might close, but he thought it might be sooner rather than later. The University of North Texas recently announced its plans to acquire the property. But he thought the city’s growth, and particularly the growth in median income, could help attract a new grocery store nearby.

Part of the problem for Rayzor Ranch was that retailers on the south side of West University Drive, at Rayzor Ranch Town Center, cannot have gas pumps. Deed restrictions meant to help the north side of Rayzor Ranch have affected options for the south side, he said.

Members of the Denia group were also concerned about the convention center development. They asked whether it was possible that UNT could still build a center even though the city abandoned the public-private partnership that would have helped pay for it.

The convention center was proposed for UNT land that is adjacent to the Denia neighborhood.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20150127-mayor-touts-citys-growth.ece

I don't know what I find more strange; the Denia residents worried about Sack and Save closing, or Ben Gooding posting under his wife's facebook account on the recruiting forum. And hey, I'm ok with role reversals, and wouldn't object to some nice uniform chat.

• Upvote 3

Denia is a funny neighborhood. Most of the neighborhood homes really need to be torn down and built over with homes that the real estate location deserves. Moaning about the Convention Center just takes the cake... it wouldn't do anything but improve their property values but ok.

Translated: We need to bulldoze them houses and build cookie cutters that most of them scumbags couldn't never afford. Why do them assholes always want a say in things that directly affect their lives???

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Translated: We need to bulldoze them houses and build cookie cutters that most of them scumbags couldn't never afford. Why do them assholes always want a say in things that directly affect their lives???

I don't like the vocal minority of their citizens having direct say into their own affairs and if I have learned anything from this board, it's that the really vocal minority generally speaks for everyone in the population.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Not football related, however.....

The Albertson's building on Loop 288/Lillian Miller has been occupied for at least a year by a Goodwill store/drop off center.

The La Azteca is on I-35E next to the Outback Steakhouse and El Pariente has been closed for over a year.

Many Denton businesses are being closed for the I-35 expansion. Among them are the McDonald's and the Exxon station, the Taco Bueno and Ramey King Insurance. I would think that the Sack 'n' Save building will not be torn down, but the parking lot will be all but gone. That's probably why the University is buying the building. Not the parking lot-just the building. Your mileage may vary.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2

How does a convention center improve residential property values?

you're not supposed to ask that question. Just nod your head and agree that it would!!

Fascinating to me that Denia has that much political punch...it's not exactly Montecito or Southridge.

Imagine the fit you'd hear from Montecito if they decided to build a convention center on South Lakes....

The convention center died because no one outside of the developers, the university, and this board wanted the thing. Not because of whiny folks in Denia.

• Downvote 1

New cookie cutters as opposed to post-WW2 cookie cutters? Suburb housing =suburb housing. Not like 1950 was the epitome of architectural uniqueness...

• Upvote 2