Oklahomans will get UNT in-state tuition

Harry

Starting this fall, Oklahoma residents pursuing a bachelor’s degree at the University of North Texas will no longer pay the out-of-state tuition rate, according to a media release.

The new Oklahoma tuition rate is roughly half the cost of nonresident (out-of-state) tuition at UNT — $5,602.70 for 15 semester credit hours in 2014-15. The nonresident rate, currently paid by Oklahoma residents, is $10,282.70 for 15 semester credit hours.

read more: http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/news/local_news/oklahomans-will-get-unt-in-state-tuition/article_89f594bc-a5e9-11e4-9159-bb0b3c32ff91.html

$5,602.70 for 15 semester credit hours in 2014-15.

Crimeny college is getting expensive! I really don't know how I'm gonna get the kid through it! <------That part isn't a joke.

I think the solution is to increase the student athletic fees to $1,500 a year! <--------That part is a joke.

Edited by oldguystudent

Surprised we weren't doing this already. A lot of out of state schools already offer Texas kids instate tuition. Off the top of my head I can think of OU, Okie St, LSU, Arkansas, and I think even Ole Miss did when I was in HS.

That's my thought, we have all of the schools you listing offering it why would we not? Seems like we have been shooting ourselves in the foot.

Surprised we weren't doing this already. A lot of out of state schools already offer Texas kids instate tuition. Off the top of my head I can think of OU, Okie St, LSU, Arkansas, and I think even Ole Miss did when I was in HS.

I think Texas Tech offers in-state to New Mexicans who live in counties that border Texas.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure every school outside of Texas stopped giving Texas HS students in-state tuition back in the early 2000s.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't see a mad rush coming from across the Red River - per the college board only 1700+ Oklahoma students took the SAT last year. Now perhaps Oklahoma is more of an ACT kind of state BUT compare their 1700+ students taking the SAT versus Texas 179,000+ taking it...

So it looks like even our small amount of Oklahoma grads is equal to about 4-5% of their seniors hoping to attend college.

Also, 40% of college bound Oklahoma students wind up taking remedial classes in college.

Instead of luring a bunch of dummies to campus let's go the other route and offer FREE tuition to the top 5% of Texas HS grads. (They'll still have to pay their athletic fee though.)

source:

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/sat/TX_14_03_03_01.pdf

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/sat/OK_14_03_03_01.pdf

http://newsok.com/many-oklahoma-students-start-college-taking-remedial-classes/article/5337902

• Upvote 2

I don't see a mad rush coming from across the Red River - per the college board only 1700+ Oklahoma students took the SAT last year. Now perhaps Oklahoma is more of an ACT kind of state BUT compare their 1700+ students taking the SAT versus Texas 179,000+ taking it...

So it looks like even our small amount of Oklahoma grads is equal to about 4-5% of their seniors hoping to attend college.

Also, 40% of college bound Oklahoma students wind up taking remedial classes in college.

Instead of luring a bunch of dummies to campus let's go the other route and offer FREE tuition to the top 5% of Texas HS grads. (They'll still have to pay their athletic fee though.)

Interesting idea. Is it in practice elsewhere?

I like this idea. I wonder how many kids would be willing to take us up on that. It could definitely help us change the perception of being a music school.

It's a good thing the College of Music is here to boost our academic status. The COM represents less than five percent of the total student population at UNT but yet well over half of our National Merit Scholars are music majors.

• Upvote 2

I don't believe OU gives in-state tuition rates to Texas kids anymore, but I believe OSU and Arkansas both do.

I think this is great that UNT is doing this. Again, there may not be a ton of kids from Oklahoma that will come here, but it at least gives them an option that is less than 3-4 hours away. Its a great way to open up your university to another group of prospective students.

• Upvote 1

I've never understood out of state tuition. To me its a money grab from the college. In a world where college is becoming more expensive the last thing I would do is pay more to go to an out of state college. All states should allow students to come in for instate tuition.

Because state tax dollars pay for part of higher education expenses - so why would Texas as a state wish to subsidize another states citizen?

• Upvote 6