Southern Mississippi (1/24/15)

CMJ

an exciting game to witness but we just fell short. We should have fouled on the floor after Jordans missed free throw and not given USM the chance to take the three. We did play Four full halves without once trailing and for that I can give the team props.

Why foul?? How about play some D and not give up a 3? I'm not a Fan of the foul instead of take a bad 3

an exciting game to witness but we just fell short. We should have fouled on the floor after Jordans missed free throw and not given USM the chance to take the three. We did play Four full halves without once trailing and for that I can give the team props.

Two fun official stats for the night with no related commentary:

1. In conference play, we've been outscore by 63 points total in the second half in 7 games. We've never outscored an opponent; just broke even with Rice.
  2. We haven't outscored an opponent in the second half since Langston on December 17
  • Upvote 3

Why foul?? How about play some D and not give up a 3? I'm not a Fan of the foul instead of take a bad 3

They were not that great at hitting their free throws and they started hitting from deep again. If they made both we would have still been up and had a better option of who to get the ball and get fouled (TJ). They could not have tied it up and we would have been able to send TJ to the free throw line if they did not miss the back end of the two shots. If they missed the back end then we would have been up two anyway and combs (if he had gotten the board) would have had two chances to make a free throw to put it back to three and you foul again. There are times when you do foul and times when you don't. Obviously it's a double edged sword but basketball is like chess. It's about strategy and being one step ahead of your opponent. You think this though in the huddle and get it done. You win. We did not. Even so it was a great game to witness and our guys played hard. Combs was one rebound away from a double double but really needs to work on his free throw mechanics.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• In conference play, we've been outscore by 63 points total in the second half in 7 games. We've never outscored an opponent; just broke even with Rice.
  • We haven't outscored an opponent in the second half since Langston on December 17

That's fine. I'm not sure how that cancels out the fact that we never trailed for two full games. That too is a nice stat. Everyone knows we do not play well in the second half. To not ever be trailing in two games is something positive for this team to look at. One free throw away from being able to take that streak into the rice game next week.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

That's fine. I'm not sure how that cancels out the fact that we never trailed for two full games. That too is a nice stat. Everyone knows we do not play well in the second half. To not ever be trailing in two games is something positive for this team to look at. One free throw away from being able to take that streak into the rice game next week.

Something tells me that not what the players will dwell on for the next week before our game with Rice.

Sorry but the team did trail some in the game tonight -- in the overtime period. Good gosh the so called positives you try to pump for games like this where the team falls apart in the second half is really getting tired.

• Upvote 2

Something tells me that not what the players will dwell on for the next week before our game with Rice.

Sorry but the team did trail some in the game tonight -- in the overtime period. Good gosh the so called positives you try to pump for games like this where the team falls apart in the second half is really getting tired.

I said four halves. Obviously we trailed in OT. Nothing's wrong with finding something positive amongst all the negative. The players will focus on the 1-9 shooting to close the game and missed free throws as they should. Nothing wrong finding a positive though.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I said four halves. Obviously we trailed in OT. Nothing's wrong with finding something positive amongst all the negative. The players will focus on the 1-9 shooting to close the game and missed free throws as they should. Nothing wrong finding a positive though.

But that's not what you said. You said "two full games" and I feel a full game also includes however many overtime periods that have to be played until a winner is crowned.

• Upvote 1

As you said

basketball is like chess. It's about strategy and being one step ahead of your opponent. You think this though in the huddle and get it done.

I just wonder if there's a point in the game where everyone takes a breather and gets to really evaluate and make adjustments. I wonder what would happen if one group was really bad at doing that. Then again, I'd probably just blame the rook and appreciate how graceful the bishop looked when he slid so many spaces diagonal!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But that's not what you said. You said "two full games" and I feel a full game also includes however many overtime periods that have to be played until a winner is crowned.

In my first post I said two halves. Said two games in the next post since I had made it clear with my first. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

1. In conference play, we've been outscore by 63 points total in the second half in 7 games. We've never outscored an opponent; just broke even with Rice.
  2. We haven't outscored an opponent in the second half since Langston on December 17

You beat me to it. I was looking at our box scores tonight on my mobile, specifically about our 2nd half woes.

Combs, our so called greatest freshmen to have ever played here in two decades is shooting 45.9 percent from the free throw line?

Rick

Yeah, he is. When I brought combs up as being a potential superstar I said that his FT shooting is something that has to improve. It really needs to improve considering the style of game he plays.

So, as it being that his bad FT% was initially brought up is this your attempt to be an organhead?

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, he is. When I brought combs up as being a potential superstar I said that his FT shooting is something that has to improve. It really needs to improve considering the style of game he plays.

So, as it being that his bad FT% was initially brought up is this your attempt to be an organhead?

Um......I've no idea what you posted about him? My post above is in response to the village idiots' thread claiming he's one of the great freshmen around here.

But if it's the head of my KockledoodleDoo your interested in, know that I'm not of your perversion.

Rick

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The program yesterday even said combs is the top forward freshman in conference usa if not the top freshman in the league. He is an amazing athlete and a good student. All around a stand up young man. We know he struggles at the line but he still puts up fantastic numbers. Maybe you should pay a bit more attention and show up to the games to support the team.

• Upvote 2

So, as it being that his bad FT% was initially brought up is this your attempt to be a dickhead?

So much T.

• Upvote 1

Um......I've no idea what you posted about him? My post above is in response to the village idiots' thread claiming he's one of the great freshmen around here.

But if it's the head of my KockledoodleDoo your interested in, know that I'm not of your perversion.

Rick

And just so it doesn't confuse those here reading this, because I do understand at times it IS difficult to differentiate, by "Village Idiot" I was not referring to Ben Gooding.

Rick