Combs poll

Andrew

Apparently, you do want to base it on a half season performance. After seeing Mitchell first game, I predicted he would be POY of the year and he should have been. However, after the first 10 games or so; his production fail off and remained that way for the rest of his NT career. If he had kept the same intensity as he begin with, he could have accomplished a lot more. Lyons by the way started off slowing and build to a 17.7 ppg, and 9.5 rpg average in his first year which is better than what Mitchell did in his opening one semester season. Lyons and Mitchell are an interesting comparison. Mitchell was a much better athletic but didn't have a fraction of the fire that Lyons played with. Besides that I doubt if Mitchell would have ever went for over 40 points against Karl Malone.

Nope. I will definitely differ to those who actually saw him play as a freshman. I'm trying to get some perspective, because I did see Mitchell and, statistically speaking, I don't know how much more anyone could have done than what he accomplished. He didn't play the whole season, but I don't think he can be discredited, since he did play the entire conference slate and dominate, even if he missed some early games. Him leading the conference in those 4 major stats in conference games (the games that ultimately matter) I think is enough to include him in many conversations.

Plus, I mean, The Tasty Geek was the only one who watched those early season Loyola Marymount tourney games anyway. And he doesn't know squat about basketball! And I wouldn't trust him with a clipboard either.

But their stats did appear similar. Like Tasty said, hard to give reference on production compared to conference mates. And, as the other John said (Geez guys, name variation much?), that is going back more than a couple decades, which is what prompted me to bring up Mitchell initially.

• Upvote 3

Plus, I mean, The Tasty Geek was the only one who watched those early season Loyola Marymount tourney games anyway. And he doesn't know squat about basketball! And I wouldn't trust him with a clipboard either.

My mom won't let me go out without supervision, so Shuke-D and CMJ were there, too.

We all ate pretzels and had soda pop. Then I slept on an inflatable mattress! It was a fun adventure.

Clipboards are off limits so I don't pinch my fingers. I can use scissors, though. As long as they aren't pointy, I mean.

My mom won't let me go out without supervision, so Shuke-D and CMJ were there, too.

We all ate pretzels and had soda pop. Then I slept on an inflatable mattress! It was a fun adventure.

Clipboards are off limits so I don't pinch my fingers. I can use scissors, though. As long as they aren't pointy, I mean.

Just be sure to use your walking legs!

Josh White and Tiny Mitchell both had amazing freshman years and were much better then combs. Combs is good no doubt and will hopefully continue to get better. And unlike Andrew I was a student from 07 to 10 so I really was here for the entire white era.

Edited by bstnsportsfan3
  • Upvote 1

What's funny is, if you and your lady had stayed at my place, you probably would have had to sleep on an inflatable mattress since you both couldn't fit on the couch. A poor substitute for the welcome you have given me over the years.

(I once again must extol the hospitality of Tasty and Mrs. Tasty -- they don't come any nicer than those two)

What's funny is, if you and your lady had stayed at my place, you probably would have had to sleep on an inflatable mattress since you both couldn't fit on the couch. A poor substitute for the welcome you have given me over the years.

(I once again must extol the hospitality of Tasty and Mrs. Tasty -- they don't come any nicer than those two)

Tasty was very generous to me and my crew at his house in Hot Springs as well. He knows how to make people feel at home.

3730654+_1aaec8599a099b5fe82e8406a46b24f

Too early in the season to declare Combs the top freshman. I've seen too many games (HS) where he struggled mightily against taller/stronger big men. When he committed, I stated that he reminded me of Kenneth Lyons. Lyons continued to gain weight and muscle. He also improved his outside shot. Combs is just not there physically and is not a threat at all away from the basket. His bad free-throw percentage will continue to hurt this team. Hopefully, when we get the 6-11 Brice kid in here next year he'll be more effective. Also, our point guard (Reese) will be able to penetrate much better than what we have now and dish off to Combs and others.

My Top 10

1. Ronnie Morgan - Dallas SOC (97-98)

2. Kenneth Williams - Dallas SOC (74-75)

3. Kenneth Lyons - FW Trimble Tech (79-80)

4. Tony Worrell - Goldsboro, NC (84-85)

5. Josh White - Baton Rouge Christian Life (07-08)

6. Jesse Ratliff - Biloxi, Miss (90-91)

7. Chris Davis - Dallas Kimball (98-99)

8. Leonard Hopkins - Dallas Lincoln (00-01)

9. Pat Hicks - Houston Madison (79-80)

10 Jason Miller - Livingston HS (99-00)

Next 5

Deginald Erskin - Gonzales HS (98-99)

David Miller - Lancaster (94-95)

Quincy Williams - Midwest City OK Carl Albert (04-05)

Sean Riley - Houston Madison (95-96)

Fred Mitchell - Amarillo Palo Duro (74-75)

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Too early in the season to declare Combs the top freshman. I've seen too many games (HS) where he struggled mightily against taller/stronger big men. When he committed, I stated that he reminded me of Kenneth Lyons. Lyons continued to gain weight and muscle. He also improved his outside shot. Combs is just not there physically and is not a threat at all away from the basket. His bad free-throw percentage will continue to hurt this team. Hopefully, when we get the 6-11 Brice kid in here next year he'll be more effective. Also, our point guard (Reese) will be able to penetrate much better than what we have now and dish off to Combs and others.

My Top 10

Next 5

Yes, but where does Tyler Hall come in?

• Upvote 2

There are a lot of freshmen that have had better opening seasons, however Combs season still has a long way to go. Combs has been promising all year, but his game is progressively getting better that is why I think we are having this discussion.

Some players never get significantly better than their first year, others continue to develop. IMO, Josh White, Ronnie Morgan, Tony Mitchell, and Chris Davis are examples of players that started off strong and didn't significantly improve. Others that build up their game over the years were Tony Worrell, Tristan Thompson, Calvin Watson and Quincy Williams. All these guys were great players for NT, but their career paths were different.

• Upvote 1

My Top 10

Next 5

Exactly. I couldn't decide between Ronnie Morgan or Kenneth Lyons, but since Lyons just got better and better to became our all time greatest scorer I'll say he was our best freshman.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

My Top 10

Next 5

Tony Mitchell's absence is rather conspicuous. or ridiculous.

ya. ridiculous

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

My Top 10

Next 5

Quite a bit going here.

• Upvote 2

He leads the team in rebounds...6.6. Leads the team in BPG...1.0. Second on team in scoring...10.0.

He's a freshmen and against pretty good in and out of conference competition and he's 10ppg 6.6 rpg 1.0bpg. That's not bad...at all. His numbers are on an upward trend as well. If he could shoot FT at a higher % he very well could be our leading scorer (JW at 15.6). I'm not trying to say he's gods gift to earth, but he's very good with a lot of upside. If aaannnyyyy type of jump shot were to be developed (as well as FT) he is a CUSA player of the year, put a team on his back type talent.

• Upvote 2

He leads the team in rebounds...6.6. Leads the team in BPG...1.0. Second on team in scoring...10.0.

He's a freshmen and against pretty good in and out of conference competition and he's 10ppg 6.6 rpg 1.0bpg. That's not bad...at all. His numbers are on an upward trend as well. If he could shoot FT at a higher % he very well could be our leading scorer (JW at 15.6). I'm not trying to say he's gods gift to earth, but he's very good with a lot of upside. If aaannnyyyy type of jump shot were to be developed (as well as FT) he is a CUSA player of the year, put a team on his back type talent.

I am hoping this happens going forward. Pittman needs to start to develope and we need to being in some good recruits. We have 2 out of 5 and they are pretty good signees. Combs will be crucial to UNTs future and yes he definetly could go down as a top 25 player to ever suit up for UNT.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1