Combs poll

Andrew

In the last two decades, the best freshman we've had was either Davis, White, or Mitchell.

IMHO

and on a tier slightly below that group I'd add Hop (injury shortened though it might have been) and Chris Jones.

one tier down you've Jordan, Holman, Calvin, and maybe Tristan...and maybe maybe Alzee (it should be archived on this board, but I did say during his freshman year that he'd one day lead the team in scoring...missed it by one) clearly talented albeit inconsistent players.

Combs seems to fit somewhere in between those two tiers.

Edited by Censored by Laurie

I was still a Sr in H.S. during Davis' freshman year, so I didn't see him until later. I know he was FOY in the Big West though, and I saw him plenty when I was on-campus. He did it all, and was the best player on the court at all times... but for the sake of this argument, I can't speak to him.

Now, Josh White, I do remember. This little dude out there just schooling everyone. (Slow? please.) I'll never forget how loud the Pit was when he hit that 3 pointer late in the game VS OKSt. his Freshman year. Holy Cow, what a baller.

Obviously Tony Mitchell was an instant game-changer, and one of the best we've ever seen come through here, but I hesitate to put him up with White because he only played 1/2 the season (that's just my opinion).

Combs is a heckuva player. He's having a fantastic Fr season. I'm excited to see him play here for several more years, and I echo TTG's sentiments on who's coaching him in the future.
But, let's tap the brakes on "best freshman in the past couple decades" stuff.

• Upvote 2

damn...I keep feeling compelled to post to try and somehow lessen the amount of dumb from this thread.

its. so. damn. dumb!!!!!

Yes. Exactly my dilemma. I felt something needed to be said when it was implied that a 6'6" 182 lb freshman post averaging 8.1 points/game is the best freshman we've had (Andrew) or may be the best player we've had suit up for the Mean Green (Ben). No comment on Ben saying Combs NBA potential.

I haven't seen all those other players as freshman, but I did see Tony Mitchell as a freshman. I saw him lead the conference in points/game, rebound/game, blocks/game, and 3 pt FG% in conference play. But mentioning those stats was rebutted with "he didn't hustle" or "did you see 12-13? The season when he only set the school record for blocks?"

Obviously Tony Mitchell was an instant game-changer, and one of the best we've ever seen come through here, but I hesitate to put him up with White because he only played 1/2 the season (that's just my opinion).

Right, but just comparing freshman seasons, I don't see how you can top leading the conference in the stats I mentioned above. Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Just watch Mitchel play. He is a ball hawk. Minus his lack of motor puts up good numbers and makes the plays. He has an un canny ability to find his way to the ball and extend possesions or get put backs.

Changed for perspective.

You're picking your points poorly, and being picked apart about your years in school. I smell a fish.

Tony Mitchell was fricking superman. Even if he took plays off, he was the best basketball player - and maybe overall athlete - to ever wear a Mean Green jersey.

Josh White was deceptively quick. A lot like Chris Davis, in the sense of high bball IQ with the ability to anticipate and act on what he foresaw. Looked very fluid and was always somehow a step ahead of every one.

Edited by greenminer

The best freshman was Kenny Lyons who averaged 17.7 points and 9.5 rebounds a game. You can make a case for both Chris Davis and Mitchell, but neither were true freshmen. Mitchell had set out a year and Chris Davis was injured his freshmen year, so he was a redshirt freshman.

I like Josh White, but IMO his freshman year was his best. Mitchell's productivity fail off amazing the last of his first year and has sophomore year as teams concentrated on him. Lyons got better ever year and I hope that is what Combs does.

Changed for perspective.

You're picking your points poorly, and being picked apart about your years in school. I smell a fish.

Tony Mitchell was fricking superman. Even if he took plays off, he was the best basketball player - and maybe overall athlete - to ever wear a Mean Green jersey.

Josh White was deceptively quick. A lot like Chris Davis, in the sense of high bball IQ with the ability to anticipate and act on what he foresaw. Looked very fluid and was always somehow a step ahead of every one.

He could have been the best athlete, but a couple from back in the MVC days could be his match: Leroy Winfield and Bobby Iverson. As far as best basketball player, unless you want to base it on a half season performance; many have been better such as Joe Hamilton, Chris Davis, Kenneth Lyons, Jessie Ratliff, and others.

I can certainly see the argument that Josh was at his best as a freshman, but I seem to remember thinking his junior year was the best. He might not have ever scored as much after his hand injury as a sophomore, but I believe he became a better ball distributor (and he could still score a lot when he had to)

Plus his FT shooting was always crazy good. I think he owns three of the top five season best percentages from the stripe in program history.

I hate polls like this because both were great players. I will say this, Combs is a really good player and one of the best freshman I have seen play here. It will be fun to watch his career, especially next season when we have a legitimate point and post.

He could have been the best athlete, but a couple from back in the MVC days could be his match: Leroy Winfield and Bobby Iverson. As far as best basketball player, unless you want to base it on a half season performance; many have been better such as Joe Hamilton, Chris Davis, Kenneth Lyons, Jessie Ratliff, and others.

Did any of those players lead the conference in points/game, rebounds/game, blocks/game, and 3 pt FG% in conference games as a freshman?

Question, no answer.

Did any of those players lead the conference in points/game, rebounds/game, blocks/game, and 3 pt FG% in conference games as a freshman?

Question, no answer.

I don't think that was possible when Lyons was here. I may be wrong; someone please correct me in a brusque and insulting way if I'm mistaken.... I think he was here in the gap between MVC and Southland. So, no conference to lead. Also, he played before the 3 point line was a thing... So no 3 point percentage crown. Call it a tie for first?

Going for basically a 17 and 10 average over an entire season, before the three-point line, is pretty mind blowing. Freshman or not.

Question, no answer.

Apparently, you do want to base it on a half season performance. After seeing Mitchell first game, I predicted he would be POY of the year and he should have been. However, after the first 10 games or so; his production fail off and remained that way for the rest of his NT career. If he had kept the same intensity as he begin with, he could have accomplished a lot more. Lyons by the way started off slowing and build to a 17.7 ppg, and 9.5 rpg average in his first year which is better than what Mitchell did in his opening one semester season. Lyons and Mitchell are an interesting comparison. Mitchell was a much better athletic but didn't have a fraction of the fire that Lyons played with. Besides that I doubt if Mitchell would have ever went for over 40 points against Karl Malone.

I don't think that was possible when Lyons was here. I may be wrong; someone please correct me in a brusque and insulting way if I'm mistaken.... I think he was here in the gap between MVC and Southland. So, no conference to lead. Also, he played before the 3 point line was a thing... So no 3 point percentage crown. Call it a tie for first?

Going for basically a 17 and 10 average over an entire season, before the three-point line, is pretty mind blowing. Freshman or not.

Here's some correction for you, buster: The title of the poll is:

Is Combs the best Freshman to play for UNT over the past couple decades?

Do you consider the 70's "the past couple decades"? No. And to do so demonstrates your lack of brain function.

Keep Kenny Lyons out of this.

• Upvote 2

Besides that I doubt if Mitchell would have ever went for over 40 points against Karl Malone.

I think Mitchell could blow Karl Malone out of the water, either now or 3 years ago. If they played first to 40, I don't know that Karl would even score before T-Mitch ran him out of the game.

Schedule the 1-on-1, and let's test this theory at the GMG game.

(Yes, I know what you really meant.)

Here's some correction for you, buster: The title of the poll is:

Is Combs the best Freshman to play for UNT over the past couple decades?

Do you consider the 70's "the past couple decades"? No. And to do so demonstrates your lack of brain function.

Keep Kenny Lyons out of this.

I was just talking about Lyons because he was mentioned in the original quoted post.

As far as the past couple decades... If you insist on keeping on original topic (masochist), then my response to a response to a response didn't take it literally (as in, past 20 years). I apologize for that. No excuse. Maybe I'm just slow. Silver lining- nice to have something in common with Josh White!

Also, I thought Kenny Lyons was in my freshman speech class and I jsut love basketball haha! and so forth.