'15 DL DeMikal Harrison (Oklahoma)

BillySee58

El Paso is consistently rated as one of the safest cities in the country with populations > 500K.

That is always amazing to me considering what is immediately South.

Many El Pasoans firmly believe that rating derives from fudged numbers and an unusually high rate of unreported crime (undocumenteds don't usually call police).

I did too Coach Davis, but what confuses me is that Vito thinks he will stay committed to UTEP. To me, that doesn't add up. He commits to UTEP but still plans on visiting here. He drops our visit when Tulsa offers late. I think he ends up there.

Look at the responses, all UNT commits...

https://twitter.com/ball_polo/status/561757462915604480

Well, I'd love for us to get this guy in to compete for time in the DL rotation, but this all seems curiouser than ever. If there's one thing I'd like to see come out of all the flipping going on this year it would be for our guys to stick with us once they've signed, and give us their best effort. Whatever happens before then is all just water under the bridge.

I imagine he is going to Tulsa.

He started retweeting UNT stuff afterwards, including a response from Xavier Grindle. Grindle is a JUCO from Mississippi and Harrison is a high school kid from Oklahoma. Maybe they just know each other through twitter, but I would not be surprised if Harrison is visiting right now. It would explain how those two know each other.
  • Upvote 1

I was a pretty harsh critic of the kids committing and then changing their mind. Although I would still like to see them be true to their word or wait until they are sure to make their commitment, I also understand that this could have occurred for years without us knowing. Recruiting under Mac is much more transparent than previous years or the information is much more readily available today than in the past. With that, I hope Harrison is coming to Denton.

The De-commit brings us back to our high school homecoming days, when Mary-Jane Rottencrotch told you, "Yes, I will be your date to homecoming," then De-committed when your school's equivalent of Johnny Quinn asked Mary-Jane if she would go with him.

I suspect there is a hard sell before coaches put that kid back on the plane home...some probably feel the obligation to say yes after a weekend of college hospitality is hoist upon them.

Very difficult for anyone to build a concrete, unbreakable emotional connection with a school he doesn't know much about over a weekend, but it happens.

But the De-commit is a regular part of college football...even amongst the "the elites."

GMG

Edited by untcampbell

I was a pretty harsh critic of the kids committing and then changing their mind. Although I would still like to see them be true to their word or wait until they are sure to make their commitment, I also understand that this could have occurred for years without us knowing. Recruiting under Mac is much more transparent than previous years or the information is much more readily available today than in the past. With that, I hope Harrison is coming to Denton.

Recruiting analysts are calling this the year of the decommitment. And I don't think it's going to slow down. I've said this before, but it's a product of how much earlier schools are offering kids, how early they're pressuring the kids to commit, and the fact that there is a cap of 25 signees per class.

Committing has become a lot less about finding the perfect school and more about securing your spot in the class before it's too late. Especially for a lot of the kids we deal with, who many only one or two FBS offers. If those kids aren't 100% on those schools and choose to wait out the process, then they may not get anymore and those one or two offers may expire. Then what? Or if they commit early because to a school who was one of their two offers, to save their spot in the class, they may get another offer and decommit because they didn't really like the school they committed to that much. They just didn't have any better options.

It's all a product of modern day recruiting. Anyone who follows recruiting is just going to have to come to expect more of this in coming years. Especially here at the end of the cycle.

Recruiting analysts are calling this the year of the decommitment. And I don't think it's going to slow down. I've said this before, but it's a product of how much earlier schools are offering kids, how early they're pressuring the kids to commit, and the fact that there is a cap of 25 signees per class.

Committing has become a lot less about finding the perfect school and more about securing your spot in the class before it's too late. Especially for a lot of the kids we deal with, who many only one or two FBS offers. If those kids aren't 100% on those schools and choose to wait out the process, then they may not get anymore and those one or two offers may expire. Then what? Or if they commit early because to a school who was one of their two offers, to save their spot in the class, they may get another offer and decommit because they didn't really like the school they committed to that much. They just didn't have any better options.

It's all a product of modern day recruiting. Anyone who follows recruiting is just going to have to come to expect more of this in coming years. Especially here at the end of the cycle.

The NCAA should put policy in place that doesn't allow school to offer until the summer going into their senior year. This would in a sense be the slightest disadvantage to the P5 so the NCAA would never. It's allllllll about $ and the NCAA would never handicap their cash cows in any way. The whole thing (NCAA/P5 Superioity) is a shame, really.