'15 JUCO DL Jareid Combs (Iowa)

BillySee58

6'3" 248 lb defensive end from Iowa Central CC. Tallied 17 sacks last season. We have offered and he will visit this weekend. Also holds offers from Cincinnati, New Mexico, Buffalo, Idaho, and South Alabama. Apparently we lead for him, per his interview with Vito. Kevin Patrick is his lead recruiter. Will graduate from Iowa Central CC in May.

Highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3094921/jareid-combs

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Jareid-Combs-157525

http://247sports.com/Player/Jareid-Combs-75719

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/203779/jareid-combs

http://idaho.scout.com/player/7993709n-jareid-combs

Edited by BillySee58

Official visits are the next step for Combs and he will take a handful in January.

"I'll take visits in January to North Texas, New Mexico, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh," he revealed to Scout. "I'll also probably take one to Utah."

"Utah has been reaching out more lately and they say I'm a target rising up their board because of how impressed they are by my film," Combs added. "They've had a great season so it's definitely a school I want to give a lot of interest back to. That'd be a great offer so I hope it comes through."

Read more: http://recruiting.scout.com/story/1488207-combs-is-emerging

at 1:27 in one of his films does a phenomenal job of recognizing the counter and spilling both the guard and tackle.. ends up actually making the tackle on the RB as well. You can tell by that alone that he takes coaching and using technique. (This move is not done on accident it has been taught)

God I hope we get this kid.

I can't even nitpick about potential/star ratings anymore. I have concerns about numbers/depth in the trenches.

Billy, am I being overly paranoid?

Im not Billy obviously, but YES depth is a reason to be paranoid. Dline is a position of high probability to get injured IMO.

God I hope we get this kid.

I can't even nitpick about potential/star ratings anymore. I have concerns about numbers/depth in the trenches.

Billy, am I being overly paranoid?

I think everyone should just about ditch star ratings if you're a UNT fan, in favor of offer lists. They're just much better indicators of how good a kid is, IMO. Sites just don't give us the time of day when it comes to reevaluating and re-ranking our commits. I've even come up with my own rating scale for kids based on offer lists.

As for Combs, he is the real deal. He has a better offer list than any JUCO we've signed under Coach Mac. The two best JUCO offer lists have been James Jones and Andrew Power, and they both were 2-year starters and one was all-CUSA (Jones). Offer lists have proven even more accurate predictors of success for JUCOs than high school kids. Hopefully we get him.

• Upvote 4

I think everyone should just about ditch star ratings if you're a UNT fan, in favor of offer lists. They're just much better indicators of how good a kid is, IMO. Sites just don't give us the time of day when it comes to reevaluating and re-ranking our commits. I've even come up with my own rating scale for kids based on offer lists.

As for Combs, he is the real deal. He has a better offer list than any JUCO we've signed under Coach Mac. The two best JUCO offer lists have been James Jones and Andrew Power, and they both were 2-year starters and one was all-CUSA (Jones). Offer lists have proven even more accurate predictors of success for JUCOs than high school kids. Hopefully we get him.

Which makes Dillman our highest recruit then.

Rick

Would love to see this posted not only for this year but all of Mac's classes.

Yeah, I can. I've talked about it a little before, but I've been sort of perfecting it.

Here's how it is. It's a letter grade scale. Starts at C, and goes through B and A with B+ and A+ as possibilities.

"C" - A recruit who either comes in as a walkon, has no other D1 offers besides us, or has no more than 1 other FBS* offer. If a player has 4 total D1 offers but we are the only FBS school to offer them (i.e. their 4 offers were us and 3 FCS schools) then that player remains a "C" recruit.

"B" - A recruit who has at least 3 total D1 offers (including our offer) but no more than 5 total FBS offers. At least one of these offers must be from an FBS school besides us to be considered a "B" recruit.

Example: Derek Akunne - offers from North Texas, Colorado State, Western Kentucky, and Air Force.

Some other examples: Austin Orr, Fred Scott, Tillman Johnson, Nate Brooks, Ashton Preston

"B+" - A recruit who still fits in the parameters of a "B" recruit (between 3 D1 offers and 5 FBS offers), but has an impressive quality of schools who have offered. If a recruit has exactly 5 total FBS offers than he is considered a "B+" recruit automatically.

Example: Zach Orr - offers from North Texas, Louisiana Tech, Tulsa, UTEP, and San Diego State.

Some other examples: Lance Dunbar, Mason Y'Barbo, Darvin Kidsy, Syd Moore

"A" - A recruit who has at least 6 FBS offers, but less than 10 total D1 offers.

Example: Creighton Barr - offers from North Texas, Arkansas State, Air Force, Eastern Michigan, Nevada, and Fresno State.

Some other examples: Cyril Lemon, Chad Davis, Fonzale Davis, Willy Ivery

"A+" - A recruit who has 10 or more offers. These are elite recruits who will be considered among the top signings in all of CUSA.

Example: Chris Miles - offers from North Texas, Houston, Texas State, San Diego State, Navy, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico, Nevada, UTEP, Pennsylvania, Yale, and Harvard.

Other examples: Tee Goree, Caleb Chumley (as a tight end), Kevin Dillman (as a quarterback)

*note the difference between FCS and FBS. FCS schools compete in the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly 1AA) and FBS schools compete in the Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly 1A).

The main fault in this system is that some kids' offer lists may be innacurate, but for the most part they are right and they confirm which schools offered when they interview with Vito. Ashton Preston has a Notre Dame offer on his ESPN profile, but that's obviously not a legitimate offer so I wouldn't count it. However, I would count his verified SMU and Idaho offers.

Also, since joining CUSA we've had 8 players voted First or Second Team All-CUSA. 6 of the 8 players were at least a "B" recruit out of high school, and one of the other two was James Jones, who had a very impressive JUCO offer list which would require another grading scale. Brelan Chancellor was our only "C" recruit to make an All-CUSA team.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, I can. I've talked about it a little before, but I've been sort of perfecting it.

Here's how it is. It's a letter grade scale. Starts at C, and goes through B and A with B+ and A+ as possibilities.

"C" - A recruit who either comes in as a walkon, has no other D1 offers besides us, or has no more than 1 other FBS* offer. If a player has 4 total D1 offers but we are the only FBS school to offer them (i.e. their 4 offers were us and 3 FCS schools) then that player remains a "C" recruit.

"B" - A recruit who has at least 3 total D1 offers (including our offer) but no more than 5 total FBS offers. At least one of these offers must be from an FBS school besides us to be considered a "B" recruit.

Example: Derek Akunne - offers from North Texas, Colorado State, Western Kentucky, and Air Force.

Some other examples: Austin Orr, Fred Scott, Tillman Johnson, Nate Brooks, Ashton Preston

"B+" - A recruit who still fits in the parameters of a "B" recruit (between 3 D1 offers and 5 FBS offers), but has an impressive quality of schools who have offered. If a recruit has exactly 5 total FBS offers than he is considered a "B+" recruit automatically.

Example: Zach Orr - offers from North Texas, Louisiana Tech, Tulsa, UTEP, and San Diego State.

Some other examples: Lance Dunbar, Mason Y'Barbo, Darvin Kidsy, Syd Moore

"A" - A recruit who has at least 6 FBS offers, but less than 10 total D1 offers.

Example: Creighton Barr - offers from North Texas, Arkansas State, Air Force, Eastern Michigan, Nevada, and Fresno State.

Some other examples: Cyril Lemon, Chad Davis, Fonzale Davis, Willy Ivery

"A+" - A recruit who has 10 or more offers. These are elite recruits who will be considered among the top signings in all of CUSA.

Example: Chris Miles - offers from North Texas, Houston, Texas State, San Diego State, Navy, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico, Nevada, UTEP, Pennsylvania, Yale, and Harvard.

Other examples: Tee Goree, Caleb Chumley (as a tight end), Kevin Dillman (as a quarterback)

*note the difference between FCS and FBS. FCS schools compete in the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly 1AA) and FBS schools compete in the Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly 1A).

The main fault in this system is that some kids' offer lists may be innacurate, but for the most part they are right and they confirm which schools offered when they interview with Vito. Ashton Preston has a Notre Dame offer on his ESPN profile, but that's obviously not a legitimate offer so I wouldn't count it. However, I would count his verified SMU and Idaho offers.

Also, since joining CUSA we've had 8 players voted First or Second Team All-CUSA. 6 of the 8 players were at least a "B" recruit out of high school, and one of the other two was James Jones, who had a very impressive JUCO offer list which would require another grading scale. Brelan Chancellor was our only "C" recruit to make an All-CUSA team.

Bravo. I vote we formally adopt this system.

• Upvote 1

What about the recruit who's an incredible talent that either the FBS kids have missed, like the Morgan kid from Mesquite Horn, Booger,..etc, or the kid everyone wants but hasn't qualified yet as of Feb 4th..( or whenever the signing day is), such as Cody Spencer?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

You will also have schools that are truly interested in a recruit, but are waiting on test scores. Some give players deadlines. Some will offer, but then they will move if the score is not made by a certain time. Some will wait for the scores to come in or wait for a visit to offer.

Some schools wont offer while you are committed either. The hs coaches talk recruits into decommitting so more offers can come.

What about the recruit who's an incredible talent that either the FBS kids have missed, like the Morgan kid from Mesquite Horn, Booger,..etc, or the kid everyone wants but hasn't qualified yet as of Feb 4th..( or whenever the signing day is), such as Cody Spencer?

Rick

Even this is not a perfect science. But it's more accurate, for us in particular, than star ratings. FBS schools will miss kids. But that's the exception. Brelan Chancellor was a "C" recruit, so it's possible for a kid to go from "C" to all CUSA, but our other guys all had offer lists that would've been at least "B". Most were "B+" recruits or better.

There are still going to be exceptions, but the kids with the good offer lists are more than usually your players with all CUSA potential. And signing a class with, say, 6 "C" players, 8 "B" players, 3 "B+" players, 3 "A" players, and 2 "A+" players is much, much more likely to leave you better off than if you're signing 13 "C" players, 6 "B" players, 2 "B+" players and 1 "A" player.