Frank Wintrich to BYU

Harry

NT budget restricted him from growing the nutrition side of his program and no, that wasn't going to change at NT this year. Highest Level of performance training was related to his lifting/conditioning program. He has 4+ levels of targeted training that the guys grow into as they progress each year. Coach Frank had some really awesome and interesting ideas on how to grow and benefit the entire NT Athletic program but the money and resolve were just not there. At BYU, I'm sure most of those ideas will get funded and implemented.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure any of the G5 would have the ability to fund much more than what NT has and is able to fund.

That's interesting. One thing that concerned me was when he told SUMG one time that he was actually trying to get Boutwell to LOSE weight? I couldn't see how that was beneficial to our D line but I'm sure he had his reasons?

Hopefully we can get at least to the same level program that UTSA, Rice, UTEP has and maintain it?

Rick

I am hearing more and more about nutrition becoming a key component of college sports. As I understand it, there was a recent - last few years - rule change to allow schools the option of providing athletes with all of their meals, even those not in dorms.

It sounds like we lost a guy on the cutting edge of college sports. Hopefully we can find someone else who might be able to find a way to adapt the resources NT has.

One thing Coach Frank stated was that if he could get 100 (might have been 150) athletes living in Victory or on a Full Meal Plan, that cafeteria (Champs?) could be designated for athletics and he could control what was on the menu and hours of operation. Of course, most of the athletes prefer to live off campus and purchase their own food/drink. Not being on a full meal plan can cause issues with player nutrition and their ability to put on and maintain good weight throughout the year. The nutritional education he provided was one of the most important aspects of his training program and where he really wanted to expand.

One thing Coach Frank stated was that if he could get 100 (might have been 150) athletes living in Victory or on a Full Meal Plan, that cafeteria (Champs?) could be designated for athletics and he could control what was on the menu and hours of operation. Of course, most of the athletes prefer to live off campus and purchase their own food/drink. Not being on a full meal plan can cause issues with player nutrition and their ability to put on and maintain good weight throughout the year. The nutritional education he provided was one of the most important aspects of his training program and where he really wanted to expand.

That sounds similar to what I heard. Baylor either is or has build an athletic nutrition center where all the athletes eat all or at least most of their meals. I wasn't paying close attention so I didn't catch all the exact details. I do remember it was more than just football but all their athletes.