Frank Wintrich to BYU

Harry

Not very long ago, I recall some posts declaring UNT as the place where coaching careers go to die, with a list of coaches who never did anything after coaching here. Johnny Jones and Karen Aston notwithstanding, it's a good thing that somebody from our football program got poached. It's a good step to have our coaches recognized and taken away from us. Next step is for us to start doing the same from schools offering degrees beyond a high school diploma.

• Upvote 3

Maybe Coach MaC and Coach Wintrich can put together a home and home.

GO MEAN GREEN

Pardon the Mormonesque pun, but Sweet Jesus, man! You would want to bring BYU to Apogee? Have we learned nothing from SMU bringing schools into Ford that are light years beyond them? You're giving away a home game for the entertainment of thousands of opposing fans to enjoy their team curb stomping us in our stadium.

• Upvote 2

Pardon the Mormonesque pun, but Sweet Jesus, man! You would want to bring BYU to Apogee? Have we learned nothing from SMU bringing schools into Ford that are light years beyond them? You're giving away a home game for the entertainment of thousands of opposing fans to enjoy their team curb stomping us in our stadium.

Would BYU not pique the interest of the casual UNT fan and/or the students to come out? I think it may look a little something like Houston. I wouldn't be opposed.

• Upvote 3

This is a HUGE loss! Coach Wintrich was finally able to implement his highest level of performance training beginning last off season. The growth he has provided in this program is unbelievable and actually had made NT a true DI program in every way. I'm sure Coach Mac will find a suitable replacement. Wintrich's program was different than the majority of Strength and Conditioning programs and the reason he took exception to the Strength and Conditioning moniker and instead always referred to what he does as Performance training.

This had nothing to do with sideline issues and everything to do with budget and his inability to implement even more of his beliefs because of the limited budget at NT. At BYU, he will have the budget and support to completely implement his full performance program and that program will reap the benefits.

Wishing Coach Frank nothing but the best!

• Upvote 4

We all knew this was coming. With the exception of Bud Foster and a few extreme loyalists, good assistant coaches always move up and move on, regardless of what program they are with. And Frank Wintrich was a very good s&c coach. I would have loved to milk another year or two out of him, but I'm thankful we got what we did. Kudos to Coach Mac for a great hire on that one, and I hope he can do similarly with the next one.

Thanks, Coach Wintrich, for all you have done, and wish you all the best at BYU and in your future career.

• Upvote 4

Coach Wintrich really changed the physical character of the UNT football teams during his time here. You could literally see the improvement and growth show up on game days. I knew he would probably move on as gifted young people wanting career growth move on. So best of luck Coach Wintrich at BYU, thanks for what you did at UNT. Get us another good one Coach Mac !

If it's the last piece in a 6 home game schedule, then you take it.

We are a better program for Wintrich being here...

THIS

Two things we know...

1. Coach Wintrich did not leave the cupboard bare (unlike the one he inherited)

2. The next guy has big shoes to fill

Let's hope these two things serve to improve the applicant pool and motivate the replacement to push this program to a consistently higher level.

• Upvote 1

There are two things about Mac that give me faith in whoever the new guy is:

1) Mac preaches size. He wants big players. In 2013, I noticed that we physically wore down the teams we beat. I understood Mac's mantra of "Imposing our will."

2) While the jury is very much out on Canales (not a Mac hire), Mac has hired stellar assistant coaches. So for this and whoever the new defensive coordinator is, I believe he will bring us quality.

This is a HUGE loss! Coach Wintrich was finally able to implement his highest level of performance training beginning last off season. The growth he has provided in this program is unbelievable and actually had made NT a true DI program in every way. I'm sure Coach Mac will find a suitable replacement. Wintrich's program was different than the majority of Strength and Conditioning programs and the reason he took exception to the Strength and Conditioning moniker and instead always referred to what he does as Performance training.

This had nothing to do with sideline issues and everything to do with budget and his inability to implement even more of his beliefs because of the limited budget at NT. At BYU, he will have the budget and support to completely implement his full performance program and that program will reap the benefits.

Wishing Coach Frank nothing but the best!

He was able to implement his highest level of performance training last year, but couldn't here the next year?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

So keep the ass beatings on the road and out of sight?

A lot better chance of beating them at home.

• Upvote 2

EVERY college and NFL team loses coaches in the off-season. If we were able to find a coach as good as him, we should be able to find another one. Plus, sometimes it is good to change up your training methods and work out with new and different techniques. Maybe our next strength coach can even get Dajon to work out hard. Lol.

He was able to implement his highest level of performance training last year, but couldn't here the next year?

Rick

NT budget restricted him from growing the nutrition side of his program and no, that wasn't going to change at NT this year. Highest Level of performance training was related to his lifting/conditioning program. He has 4+ levels of targeted training that the guys grow into as they progress each year. Coach Frank had some really awesome and interesting ideas on how to grow and benefit the entire NT Athletic program but the money and resolve were just not there. At BYU, I'm sure most of those ideas will get funded and implemented.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure any of the G5 would have the ability to fund much more than what NT has and is able to fund.

• Upvote 1