Has UNT held you back personally?

oldguystudent

This is a tough question to answer because I doubt many employers will come flat out and say: "I didn't hire you because you went to UNT." However, unsuccessful athletics does effect perception of a school in the state and out-of-state, whether people admit it or not. I'm an employer and I see a resume from TCU or A&M for example, subconsciously how do you not have images of successful football and not think of that when deciding arbitrarily how prestigious each degree is? Not that this is the main component of being hired, but I do think it is a factor, however small it may be.

• Upvote 2

No, it hasn't. But I don't see that having anything to do with posters' ire. This is a sports message board. A Cowboy fan might get hopping mad if they traded Tony Romo and Demarco Murray for Geno Smith and Ben Tate, but it wouldn't mean he was blaming the Cowboys for his own employment issues.

I have no doubt that my BBA in Finance from UNT has helped me out immensely in my career.

I have no doubt that UNT Sports hasn't helped my career one bit. I know it has embarrassed me on countless occasions in a business setting since 1995. I know that the Longhorns, Aggies, Red Raiders, Bears, Frogs, Sooners, Hogs, etc...from the P5s just give me pity, unless we somehow beat them, but even then, its back to our slum while they head back to their gated community. Its not much fun to hear the response of, "What do you know how about football--you went to a music school?" or "Maybe you should just follow that glorified HS program of UNTs while we talk real football." So yeah, the degree has helped on the job front, but not at all on the sports front...if the responses are from t-shirt fans, its easy to respond back, but if its from degreed alums, it is the ender. I've posted it before, but my favorite line I ever heard about us was that "if we had to play yall in marching band or art design, we would get killed just as bad as your football team did on Saturday." That's Dentlandia, for you...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 3

Well, there was that time I was going to a job interview,and Craig Helwig jumped out from behind some bushes, tackled me and stole my shoes. He tried passing them to Vic Trilli, who just looked confused. Then they drove off in a beat up Dodge that had a massive spoiler welded on the trunk. It didn't go very far, but man it looked good. Needless to say, I didn't get the job because I was barefoot. But Matt Simon was there and felt bad for me. He told me to go apply at Safeway. He had connections there. So it all worked out in the end

Norval Pohl foreclosed on my Pappy's farm. It had been ours for nigh on four generations, but they done took that land right out from under us.

Norval Pohl foreclosed on my Pappy's farm. It had been ours for nigh on 4 generations, but they done took that land right out from under us.

Al Hurley once called Craig Helwig, who called Darrell Dickey and Vic Trilli, who then left messages years later for Todd Dodge and Tony Benford, that if we ever got a guy like Lee Jackson in charge, make sure that untjim1995's degree gets voided...but in true UNT fashion, the server went down and the message got deleted. Now, I'm about to become RV's successor...in twenty years when he retires.

• Upvote 2

I've posted it before, but my favorite line I ever heard about us was that "if we had to play yall in marching band or art design, we would get killed just as bas as your football team did on Saturday." That's Dentlandia, for you...

If it's just the core half-time show, probably so. But not so the whole game day package. Our band gets it's game day asses kicked on showmanship related to school spirit all the time. But then, other than SMU this year, when was the last time our band went up against a big time band from a big time program. SMU doesn't count as a big time program or big time band.

• Downvote 3

Virtually every post I read of late is Armageddon, the Apocalypse, and The Great Depression all wrapped up into one.

There is so much despair, so much hatred for everyone who ever has worked for UNT, works for UNT, and ever will work for UNT. UNT doesn't care about anything. The world, the state, other universities, the Board of Regents, the faculty, the students, all guilty of intentionally driving UNT into the ground in all aspects of its existence from music school to college of business to athletics without UNT itself ever so much as batting an eyelash in defense.

Woe be we fans of the Mean Green, for all is unfortunate and horrible.

So here's my question. Has your degree from UNT held you back? Has it rendered you unemployed in your chosen field? Has it gotten you passed over for opportunities and advancement that should be based on merit and performance rather than degree? Has your time in Denton had tangible detrimental effects on your life and your loved ones?

If not, I can't understand the 24/7 dedication to anger toward everything within a 75 mile radius of Denton. I swear, it's as if the beer doesn't even taste good within city limits.

I would adore it if UNT were better in sports. Really, I would, but the most important aspect of UNT to me is that I've got this shiny piece of paper that has me gainfully employed and able to purchase the good beer. I love going to Denton as much as possible and consider myself fortunate to live close enough to do so often. UNT and Denton are my places, regardless of wins and losses.

I guess in the eyes of many on this board, this makes me an active contributor to the perceived problem. Meh. So be it. I enjoy Denton and game day. It's supposed to be fun, and it is. When it's not, I keep giving and stay home. Sports was not the reason I chose to attend, and it's not the definition of my success and failure after. It's not rocket science.

Do I need to remind you that this is a football forum and that we are located in Texas?........... B)

If it's just the core half-time show, probably so. But not so the whole game day package. Our band gets it's game day asses kicked on showmanship related to school spirit all the time. But then, other than SMU this year, when was the last time our band went up against a big time band from a big time program. SMU doesn't count as a big time program or big time band.

I'll trust you on this, in part, because I wouldn't know...or care. I am in the minority at UNT, by a mile, but I could care less about the band's performance during halftime. I just want them to play the alma mater, fight song, and other songs that get the crowd going. Just my .02, though.

Like I said, I'm in the minority here. One game, a few years ago in 2009, on gameday, I had to go buy an extra ticket for someone coming to the game with me. While in line, the couple in fornt of me asks for the cheapest ticket they could get, but not in the end zone. The ticket guy asked why he didn't want an end zone seat if he was just looking for the cheapest ticket, the couple looks at him sternly and says, "We are here to watch the band--we won't be here for the 2nd half." As if I'm not astounded enough by this, the guy behind me yells out, "Us, too--we need 2 of the cheapest tickets you can get so we can watch our daughter march." Disgusted, I get to the ticket guy and said, "Does this happen all the time on gameday?" And the ticket guy just looks up at me and says, very plainly, "Yep--that is who walks up to get tickets most of the time."

Sometimes, I think we'd be better off to market The Green Brigade as performing on Saturdays in Denton...might fill up Apogee that way. I'm joking--I think...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

From enjoying college sports? Pretty much.

Just find a somewhat successful (or at least heavily traditional) P5 team and jump on the bandwagon. I just capped off UCLA winning 10 games this year with the toughest schedule in all of college football on a wonderful trip to the Alamo Bowl with my girlfriend. Haters gonna hate.

• Upvote 3

Just find a somewhat successful (or at least heavily traditional) P5 team and jump on the bandwagon. I just capped off UCLA winning 10 games this year with the toughest schedule in all of college football on a wonderful trip to the Alamo Bowl with my girlfriend. Haters gonna hate.

Do you not realize that posting crap like this contributes to the killing of innocent sports fans?

• Upvote 5

My degree from UNT got me a financial and positional promotion. My dealings with the university have been nothing but stellar. I am hopeful for better performance in our athletics but my pride in the school and my fan-ship does not depend on wins at all. I'm an Houston Texan and Astros fan for goodness sake.

I wish we were renowned for some sport, football would be killer but I'd take whatever. Perhaps in the future as we grow.

I also wish the students/alumni and fans were die hard, positive and hopeful but I don't get that sense much.

• Upvote 1