Meanwhile....Back At 90 Feet of Heat II Fieldhouse..

FirefightnRick

He needed a place to retire and have no accountability for piss poor performance. Must say the man is very smart.

If I was a college coach, getting up there in years, this would be a great place to finish up my career. You'll get paid like a P5 coordinator or position coach, but with much less scrutiny and way more job security, plus you get to live in a great area that has excellent tax benefits (no state income tax) and fairly cheap real estate. If you get to .500 for two years or more in a row, or just have a big winning season, you're gonna get a buyout-free extension.

Tina Slinker, Darrell Dickey, Johnny Jones, Dan McCarney, and, soon, Tony Benford, will all be examples of coaches who got treated like they had tenure at this place...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If I was a college coach, getting up there in years, this would be a great place to finish up my career. You'll get paid like a P5 coordinator or position coach, but with much less scrutiny and way more job security, plus you get to live in a great area that has excellent tax benefits (no state income tax) and fairly cheap real estate. If you get to .500 for two years or more in a row, or just have a big winning season, you're gonna get a buyout-free extension.

Tina Slinker, Darrell Dickey, Johnny Jones, Dan McCarney, and, soon, Tony Benford, will all be examples of coaches who got treated like they had tenure at this place...

Johnny was actually winning at the end of his tenure and left for a more prestigious and higher paid position.

• Upvote 1

You would not have offered Dickey and Jones an extension? Man, that's tough.

I really doubt you are going to have to worry about Benford, but time will tell.

• Upvote 1

You would not have offered Dickey and Jones an extension? Man, that's tough.

I really doubt you are going to have to worry about Benford, but time will tell.

Oh, don't get me wrong. JJ definitely earned his new gig at LSU--he just got a long time to get things turned around here. I really didn't have a problem with JJ, either, getting that time, just becausae of what he took over. I actually feel the same way about McCareny, too. He deserved an extension for giving us a 9-4 HoD Bowl winning season, especially given what had occurred here over the previous 8 years before. Hell, even Dickey deserved his extension he got after the SBC run.

What I am talking about--and I know we will see it with Benford, too--is that you can rest on those laurels here for a loooonnnggg time. Let's say JJ didn't leave for LSU, but stayed behind with TMitch and the rest of the squad, then let's say RV and his compadres were somehow right, that those players were the real problem, not Benford's lack of experience at being a head coach, and we finished below .500 in 2012. Then followed it up with .500 season last year. There is zero doubt that Johnny Jones would still be coaching here for the next 5 years, bare minimum, if he wanted, just becuase he got us to the NCAA Tournament twice.

We don't pay off contracts, period....the one time we did it, firing Dickey after his second straight poor season and his sixth losing season out of 9, we paid out two years of an extremely low cost ssalary (DD;s buyout wasn't more the 550k, IIRC), it caused us to hire Todd Dodge for that similar amount of money for 5 years of a contract, instead of Jimbo Fisher or Dennis Franchione (Jim Harbaugh was never coming here for what we offered).Instead, we took the cheapest route possible, kept Todd Dodge an extra year, then hired McCarney for double what we paid Dodge, even after absorbing his last year of his contract. Benford is fairly cheap on an annual basis--he can get extended for cheap head coach pricing. That is where you always start at UNT--waht does it cost. After that, everything else can get figured out. But what does it cost, what will it cost, what do KNOW it will cost--those are always the questions you ask before asking who will get replaced, who is availbale, and who can get hired. That's why this would be an awesome place to be a head coach for someone in their 50s or 60s--a great last place to ride off into a very comfortable and low stress retirement.

Oh, don't get me wrong. JJ definitely earned his new gig at LSU--he just got a long time to get things turned around here. I really didn't have a problem with JJ, either, getting that time, just becausae of what he took over. I actually feel the same way about McCareny, too. He deserved an extension for giving us a 9-4 HoD Bowl winning season, especially given what had occurred here over the previous 8 years before. Hell, even Dickey deserved his extension he got after the SBC run.

What I am talking about--and I know we will see it with Benford, too--is that you can rest on those laurels here for a loooonnnggg time. Let's say JJ didn't leave for LSU, but stayed behind with TMitch and the rest of the squad, then let's say RV and his compadres were somehow right, that those players were the real problem, not Benford's lack of experience at being a head coach, and we finished below .500 in 2012. Then followed it up with .500 season last year. There is zero doubt that Johnny Jones would still be coaching here for the next 5 years, bare minimum, if he wanted, just becuase he got us to the NCAA Tournament twice.

We don't pay off contracts, period....the one time we did it, firing Dickey after his second straight poor season and his sixth losing season out of 9, we paid out two years of an extremely low cost ssalary (DD;s buyout wasn't more the 550k, IIRC), it caused us to hire Todd Dodge for that similar amount of money for 5 years of a contract, instead of Jimbo Fisher or Dennis Franchione (Jim Harbaugh was never coming here for what we offered).Instead, we took the cheapest route possible, kept Todd Dodge an extra year, then hired McCarney for double what we paid Dodge, even after absorbing his last year of his contract. Benford is fairly cheap on an annual basis--he can get extended for cheap head coach pricing. That is where you always start at UNT--waht does it cost. After that, everything else can get figured out. But what does it cost, what will it cost, what do KNOW it will cost--those are always the questions you ask before asking who will get replaced, who is availbale, and who can get hired. That's why this would be an awesome place to be a head coach for someone in their 50s or 60s--a great last place to ride off into a very comfortable and low stress retirement.

Buying out a contract and choosing to not renew/extend a contract are two different things. The team will need to do better than .500 the next couple years just to get to .500 ball for the Benford era.

I think it would be silly to extend a coach if he has a losing record, which Benford currently does. It certainly doesn't send a good message to the fans if you were to extend his contract out.

• Upvote 1

McCarney had a losing record when he was extended...

I kept flipping back and forth on whether it was a good idea to extend his contract after the bowl win. After this season I'm still not sure whether it was a good idea or not. I guess well see after next year?

UNT occupies very different positions in the pecking order of D1 sports when it comes to where we stand in football and basketball. Also, the two programs were in very different shape when Benford and DMac took over...

I understand the point your making, but Mac didnt inherit a pile of garbage like he would have you believe. The level of talent he inherited from Dodge is what he won with last year. Plus, he inherited three guys who now play on Sunday as well, one of which he himself couldn't figure out a way to get him on the field.

I know it was all coach speak to make himself look better, which I don't agree with at all. But Mac inherited a pretty good team that simply needed some better guidance. I wished folks would remember that and stop repeating the Vito Echo Chamberisms.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I kept flipping back and forth on whether it was a good idea to extend his contract after the bowl win. After this season I'm still not sure whether it was a good idea or not. I guess well see after next year?

I think McCarney could probably go 0-12 next year and not be fired so next year may not be the end all be all for him. I would've preferred sustained success before the long term extension, but hopefully this year was just an anomaly and things get back on track in 2015. Things have to get better eventually, right?

Edited by Mean Green Matt

I understand the point your making, but Mac didnt inherit a pile of garbage like he would have you believe. The level of talent he inherited from Dodge is what he won with last year. Plus, he inherited three guys who now play on Sunday as well, one of which he himself couldn't figure out a way to get him on the field.

I know it was all coach speak to make himself look better, which I don't agree with at all. But Mac inherited a pretty good team that simply needed some better guidance. I wished folks would remember that and stop repeating the Vito Echo Chamberisms.

Rick

This

Rick

Mac took over for a coach the went 6-37 and the team was 8-40 the previous 4 seasons. Yes, there was talent, but the record speaks for itself.

During the six seasons BB (Before Benford) saw 5 20 win seasons, two NCAA tournament appearances, strong recruiting, and deep conference tournament runs.

The two programs were on very different paths.

Mac took over for a coach the went 6-37 and the team was 8-40 the previous 4 seasons. Yes, there was talent, but the record speaks for itself.

During the six seasons BB (Before Benford) saw 5 20 win seasons, two NCAA tournament appearances, strong recruiting, and deep conference tournament runs.

The two programs were on very different paths.

Not argueing the teams were on similar paths. Just argueing Mac didnt entirely inherit Kent State is all.

Think of it this way. Every time you bash Dodge your saying 4-8 in year 4 is ok. It's not.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4