JUCO/XFER

OL Brian Ochs - 2 star per 247sports website

LB Dakota Smith - NR

LB Cortney Finney - National JUCO Defensive POY

WR Thaddeous Thompson - NR

QB Demarcus Smith - 3 star per 247sports website

DB James Gray - 3 star per Rivals website

DB Ja'Kii Smith (UAB) - NR

I am going to give the national JUCO defensive POY some credit and count him as a 3 star.

HS/JUCO = 10 of 19 - 3 star

Additional XFER players added that are eligible upcoming season. Unsure of scholarship status:

OL Sam Rice - 3 star per 247 sports website (2 to play 2)

OL Aderius Epps - 3 star per 247 sports website (2 to play 2)

DB Rashad Jackson - 3 star per 247 sports website (2 to play 2)

DB Vershad Jackson - 3 star per 247 sports website (2 to play 2)

*used HS star rating for XFER

Edit 12/21: removed Eli Howard after decommitment announcement.

Edit 12/22: Added Xfer info.

Edited by greenit

On paper, thats enough talent to win in cusa. With the exception of the QB position, I dont see where other cusa teams are putting out more talent than we have as a whole.

Our issue is evaluation of talent, preparation, being predictable and adjustments.

We lost to southern miss. Last year Tulane. UTSA two years in a row. These teams did not beat us because they beat us in recruiting. The talent was comparable and in some cases, we had more.

I watched the la tech game. The 1st qtr and midway through the 2nd, our defense was smashing them. Our D line was getting penetration, lbs making plays, etc. la tech made an adjustment on offense and we did not. On offense, the QB position.

On paper, thats enough talent to win in cusa. With the exception of the QB position, I dont see where other cusa teams are putting out more talent than we have as a whole.

Our issue is evaluation of talent, preparation, being predictable and adjustments.

We lost to southern miss. Last year Tulane. UTSA two years in a row. These teams did not beat us because they beat us in recruiting. The talent was comparable and in some cases, we had more.

I watched the la tech game. The 1st qtr and midway through the 2nd, our defense was smashing them. Our D line was getting penetration, lbs making plays, etc. la tech made an adjustment on offense and we did not. On offense, the QB position.

In many games we get out coached. Prime example was vs Southern Miss this year at home. We got out coaches. We sustained a nice drive on the opening possession of the game, but it stalled on the So Miss 40 yard line. Mac elected to try and pin them on 4th &1 instead of seizing the momentum. The ball was punted into the endzone. 3rd Q, I believe, So Miss in the same scenario and on the same 40 no less faked a punt and converted which took the wind out of our sails. That is flat out being out coached.

In the Rice game this year they made great in game and halftime adjustments. Came out and throttled us in the 2nd half.

Defense never adjusted to much of anything throughout the year. They put all of their eggs in the same basket of "bend, don't break" and our personnel proved that we would break over and over. No adjustments.

Our O was an offense that wasn't offensive. We had a defensive offense. 0 innovation.

With those backhands out of the way, this class is coming together. From top to bottom this might be Macs best recruiting class on paper. There are only a couple NR's and there are more 3* than 2*. Recruiting 3* at a high level in CUSA will allow a team to be competitive. Quality coaching will allow 3* to win. This team will still hinge on QB play. I think we got a good one with Smith. Time will tell.

Well, I don't mean to nitpick, but wouldn't a more accurate view of the class be either an average of the various rating systems or sticking to one that is deemed the most reliable?

Every program does this country wide. Take the highest rating from the 3 or 4 major sites and dub that as their ranking. It's done in the P5 and G5.

High School QB's don't want to play run oriented offenses like Dickey's of Mac's. They want to play TCU.Baylor, and TT type offenses. Until Mac turns our O.C. loose we will continue to struggle at that key position. Just an old man's opinion.

We need to find a QB that can be turned loose. That has to come first.

Nearly everyone is rated at least a 3 by ESPN, so there is a substantial difference between services.

ESPN doesn't publish team recruiting ratings below the top 40. Taking the other 3 who do rate everyone, 247,Rival, and Scout, NT has an average of 103. Comparing to regional teams that NT should compete with: Arkansas State 70, La Tech 74, UTSA 77, Texas State 80, ULL 81, USM 83, SMU 86, Rice 94, Houston 94, UNT 103, Tulane 107, ULM 109, Tulsa 111, UTEP 125

Some schools have very few rated players on some services, so there will be significant changes; but I highly doubt NT is going to move up. There is no reason based on conferences, resources or history that NT should trail most of these universities in recruiting.

The negativity on this board is unbearable at times.

It's ok to be pro Mean Green every once in a while, however infrequent that may be.

Positivity on this board (like any other) comes with success.

If this board is negative most of the time, it's because we are losing most of the time.

That should be considered a problem.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

The negativity on this board is unbearable at times.

It's ok to be pro Mean Green every once in a while, however infrequent that may be.

Children who grow up in a household with conflict/dysfunctioning between parents tend to be very anxious and negative as adults.

Let's see. How harmonious have things been through the years between the arts & science department(s) at North Texas and Athletics. How often have the people in charge (the parents) taken the side of athletics whenever there has been conflict at the school?

Down the corridor of years, how confident have we become in our administrator's (parents) ability to make good ( :rolleyes: ) decisions (many of which I've already listed in another thread) about athletics? How often have the administrators sought our participation (in functional families that would be "family time" at the dinner table) in discussions/planning regarding athletics?

Edited by SilverEagle

Children who grow up in a household with conflict/dysfunctioning between parents tend to be very anxious and negative as adults.

Let's see. How harmonious have things been through the years between the arts & science department(s) at North Texas and Athletics. How often have the people in charge (the parents) taken the side of athletics whenever there has been conflict at the school?

Down the corridor of years, how confident have we become in our administrator's (parents) ability to make good ( :rolleyes: ) decisions (many of which I've already listed in another thread) about athletics? How often have the administrators sought our participation (in functional families that would be "family time" at the dinner table) in discussions/planning regarding athletics?

Perfect analogy.

Rick

In our case every time mommy (RV) brings home another boyfriend (head coach) we know she won't break up with him prior to four dates (years) no matter how much he touches us inappropriately (loses).

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Well, I don't mean to nitpick, but wouldn't a more accurate view of the class be either an average of the various rating systems or sticking to one that is deemed the most reliable?

247 has a composite score of all recruiting services. That's the one I prefer. Offers is also key IMO...Ive seen three star players that only had one offer and two stars with multiple offers.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=C-USA

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 1

"3. Its about winning dummy:

Here is the last suggestion from us, someone in the North Texas Presidents office, needs to sprain paint on the wall of very one from the President down to the lowliest administrator that it is about the winning dummy. The most successful mid major programs begin the winning process not with the HEad Coach, but with the President of the University. In truth, it has never been clear to those of us who follow College Football, that the North Texas leadership has ever fully understand how important a winning football program is to the school. Heck were not ever sure if previous North Texas President's even knew the school has a football team. Until there is commitment to win from the top-down at North Texas, the Mean Green faithful will be doing what they are going to be doing this Bowl Season, watch other programs compete on tv and wonder , yet again, what could have been ."

This.

• Upvote 2

Here is the last suggestion from us, someone in the North Texas Presidents office, needs to sprain paint on the wall of very one from the President down to the lowliest administrator that it is about the winning dummy. The most successful mid major programs begin the winning process not with the HEad Coach, but with the President of the University. In truth, it has never been clear to those of us who follow College Football, that the North Texas leadership has ever fully understand how important a winning football program is to the school. Heck were not ever sure if previous North Texas President's even knew the school has a football team. Until there is commitment to win from the top-down at North Texas, the Mean Green faithful will be doing what they are going to be doing this Bowl Season, watch other programs compete on tv and wonder , yet again, what could have been ."

This.

In other words CHANGE THE CULTURE! Hayden Fry came to that conclusion in 1973 when he took over at NT. And someone else :whistling1: has been saying it over and over since then.

• Upvote 1

This.

Really like his idea on conference expansion! Add the top 3...U Ark ULL and Georgia Southern or US Alabama!

High School

WR Rodney Bendy - 3 star per 247sports

DB Nate Brooks - 3 star per ESPN

DB Ashton Preston - 3 star per 247 sports

OL Cody Wheeler - 2 star per 247sports

DB Taylor Robinson - 3 star per ESPN

OL Chet Munden - 3 star per ESPN

TE Kelvin Smith - 2 star per 247sports

DL RD Wegman - 2 star per 247sports

DB Jerbrell Lipscomb - 2 star per 247sports

OL Creighton Barr - 3 star per 247 sports

QB Caleb Chumley - 3 star per 247sports

OL Elex Woodworth - 2 star per 247sports

JUCO

OL Brian Ochs - 2 star per 247sports

LB Dakota Smith - NR

QB Demarcus Smith - 3 star per 247sports

DB James Gray - 3 star per Rivals

XFER (eligible for upcoming season and scholarship will count against this class)

OL Sam Rice - 3 star per 247 sports (2 to play 2)

OL Aderius Epps - 3 star per 247 sports (2 to play 2)

DB Rashad Jackson - 3 star per 247 sports (2 to play 2)

DB Vershad Jackson - 3 star per 247 sports (2 to play 2)

I am going to give the national JUCO defensive POY some credit and count him as a 3 star.

HS/JUCO = 10 of 18 - 3 star

HS/JUCO/XFER = 14 of 22 - 3 star

On paper, this all looks really good to me. Smith and Finney look like our biggest wins. I am a little sad about Howard, but the DB adds and Finney make it a little less painful.

I am really looking forward to seeing what Smith can do and hope to see him lead the 1st or 2nd team at Spring Ball. I'm hoping to see some of the newer WRs out there, too. I hope to see some more creative playcalling, but...

• Upvote 1

High School

WR Rodney Bendy - 3 star per 247sports

DB Nate Brooks - 3 star per ESPN

DB Ashton Preston - 3 star per 247 sports

OL Cody Wheeler - 2 star per 247sports

DB Taylor Robinson - 3 star per ESPN

OL Chet Munden - 3 star per ESPN

TE Kelvin Smith - 2 star per 247sports

DL RD Wegman - 2 star per 247sports

DB Jerbrell Lipscomb - 2 star per 247sports

OL Creighton Barr - 3 star per 247 sports

QB Caleb Chumley - 3 star per 247sports

OL Elex Woodworth - 2 star per 247sports

JUCO

OL Brian Ochs - 2 star per 247sports

LB Dakota Smith - NR

QB Demarcus Smith - 3 star per 247sports

DB James Gray - 3 star per Rivals

XFER (eligible for upcoming season and scholarship will count against this class)

OL Sam Rice - 3 star per 247 sports (2 to play 2)

OL Aderius Epps - 3 star per 247 sports (2 to play 2)

DB Rashad Jackson - 3 star per 247 sports (2 to play 2)

DB Vershad Jackson - 3 star per 247 sports (2 to play 2)

HS/JUCO = 10 of 18 - 3 star

HS/JUCO/XFER = 14 of 22 - 3 star

You can removed the transfers. Coach Mccarney said we'd sign 25 this class, which will not include them. Also, Epps and the Jackson twins were confirmed as walkons. Nothing on Rice, but it seems like he won't count against the class either.

Also, you have Bendy, Barr, and Preston as 3-stars per 247. That's not correct. 247 didn't rate any of our high school prospect as 3-stars. Neither did rivals. Scout and ESPN had Preston as a 3-star, scout had Barr as a 3-star, and ESPN had Bendy as a 3-star.

They were rated as 3-stars by 247's composite rankings, which calculates an average ranking based on how a player is rated between all 4 major recruiting websites (ESPN, scout, rivals, and 247). 247 themselves did not rate them a 3-star.

Also, ESPN kind of messed up bad with their ratings this year. At the beginning of August they went through and rated a lot of the CUSA schools' commits. They rated too many of the CUSA commits as three stars. We have 5 on ESPN, which seems like a lot, until you look at a lot of other CUSA schools like UTSA, Rice, the Florida schools, Marshall, etc. And all of our 3-stars on ESPN were rated as such during that time period.

Thanks for the info on Epps and the Jackson's. I will update. Also, I think all Mac said was that he expects to have 25 signees and get to 85 scholarships. That could be a combination of HS, JUCO, Xfer/Walkon conversions, which would all use a scholarship spot in this year's class. Correct?

In terms of the mid term signees, and based on last year's numbers, are any of the mid term signees eligible to be pushed back into last season's class from a 25 limit standpoint?

If 247 shows a composite score, or they specifically ranked a player as 3 star, is it really such a big deal? If 247 did not rate them individually as a 3 star, and the composite score is 3 star, that means that at least one, or more, other source has rated them as a 3 star. Since one of the two scores that 247 shows for a player is 3 star, I quoted 247. Otherwise, I quoted the actual site.

I am not sure how to respond to your ESPN related comments. Again, all I did was go off of published info. If ESPN feels like they made a mistake, it seems like ESPN has had plenty of time to go back and address it if they think there is an error.

Edited by greenit