Catching up with Caleb Chumley, Creighton Barr

Harry

The last time we heard from Caleb Chumley, the Longview Pine Tree standout was something of a mystery man.

The 6-foot-6 quarterback had committed to UNT, but there was always the question of what position he would play in college, if he would ever end up with the Mean Green and what his thoughts were on the whole process.

- See more at: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/12/catching-up-with-caleb-chumley-creighton-barr.html/#sthash.Onw7OAFn.dpuf

Ok, here is the list of QB's from the official mean green football web-site.

5. Andrew McNulty QB 6-1 209 JR Iowa City, IA Iowa City HS

6 Dajon Williams QB 6-3 202 RS FR Pflugerville, TX Connally HS

7 Connor Means QB 6-4 210 FR Deer Park, TX Deer Park HS

8 Josh Greer QB 6-5 220 SO Arlington, TX Navarro JC

11 Sam Wells QB 6-0 205 FR Commerce, TX Commerce HS

13 Josh Cousins QB 6-1 215 SO Denton, TX Liberty Christian

Add D. Smith and C. Chumley, and the field is getting pretty crowded.

They have to give Smith a significant amount of reps during spring to see if he is the "real deal" or not. That only leaves a certain amount reps for McNulty, Williams and Means to show how they've" progressed" during the off-season. And with the few (if any) reps that are left over, Chumley is going to have to really make an impression.

I don't see that happening.

It'll be interesting to see how many (and who) will transfer out before spring practice starts.

Edited by SilverEagle

You also have to keep in mind that some of these guys are going to get reps as Scout team QB. Chumley and who ever else wants to prove themselves will have to do so against our defense to maybe work themselves into getting more reps. Then again, I dont know if they do scout team O in the spring or not. Anyone know?

• Upvote 1

You also have to keep in mind that some of these guys are going to get reps as Scout team QB. Chumley and who ever else wants to prove themselves will have to do so against our defense to maybe work themselves into getting more reps. Then again, I dont know if they do scout team O in the spring or not. Anyone know?

No scout team in the spring. Scout teams starts the week of the first opponent. Maybe the week before, but not in the spring or beginning of fall camp.

They have to give Smith a significant amount of reps during spring to see if he is the "real deal" or not. That only leaves a certain amount reps for McNulty, Williams and Means to show how they've" progressed" during the off-season. And with the few (if any) reps that are left over, Chumley is going to have to really make an impression.

It'll be interesting to see how many (and who) will transfer out before spring practice starts.

It's too many. I suppose we will see some changes because you can't spread good reps 8 ways. 3-4 is the right number. Maybe 5 because mini is a senior.

Silver, is Sam Wells the transfer from what used to be East Texas State U in Commerce? Does he have much of a chance in the competition. We only hear about the 3 main guys (Greer, DW, Nullty) and Conners who did not play this year.

And don't forget about Shanbour, who received fairly favorable reviews from our practice spies last year, but apparently had to sit out last season.

Reportedly, the whole reason we even have Chumley is that the coaches promised him an honest look at QB so it should be a safe bet that he will be in the rotation for the Spring. Throw in Smith and the returning starter, and you would assume Means puts you at 4 right out of the chute. Can't see more than 5 QBs getting a look in the Spring, which should be narrowed down to 2 or 3 for Fall competition.

Seems like several position changes or transfers are on the horizon, which is pretty normal for the QB position.

Does anyone know what Chumley is weighing now? I watched his video on Hudl and he is an impressive athlete. He reminds me of the guy nicknamed "Chief" that played for Dodge. definitely a guy to to keep an eye out for in spring.

Sam Wells is from Commerce High School, his father was the head football coach there. I believe he Is a walk on. Honestly don't think he'll ever see the field here as QB, he might develop into a Derrick Teagarden type as a nice special teams player.

Chumley was on Dave Campbell's Texas Football Super Team last year, listed as utility.

• Upvote 2

Silver, is Sam Wells the transfer from what used to be East Texas State U in Commerce? Does he have much of a chance in the competition. We only hear about the 3 main guys (Greer, DW, Nullty) and Conners who did not play this year.

As Marty said, Wells is a HS walk-on from Commerce. The transfer you might be thinking of is Josh Cousins who played at Liberty Christian but went to a small Oklahoma college and then subsequently transferred here. He got into the spring game for a few reps and looked pretty mobile. I can't remember if he completed any passes. But when I was observing the QB's in the spring he ranked pretty high in my list of QB's with a "quick release".

And don't forget about Shanbour, who received fairly favorable reviews from our practice spies last year, but apparently had to sit out last season.

He was a former walk-on at Ok. St. I rated him (FWIW) as having the quickest release of all the QB's out there. But that was based on the basic QB drills that were being run at the beginning of practice. He never was allowed to run any of the teams at the end-of-practice scrimmages. At the end of one of the pre-spring-game scrimmages he ran gassers with the rest of the team and it appeared that something wasn't quite right with his wheels. In his HS videos he looked pretty mobile.

So, I don't get it. If he was good enough to be given a look by Ok. St. as a walk-on, then why no reps with the team during last spring...even during trash time?

But then, I didn't get it about Greer either as I watched spring practice.

Edited by SilverEagle

Shanbour also received a scholarship offer from Colorado that was later not commitable after a coaching change occurred during his senior season.

Edit:

I am assuming that he was ineligible last year due to his time at OkSt. Not sure if there were other reasons (such as talent) that kept him out of other activities.

Edited by greenit

Shanbour also received a scholarship offer from Colorado that was later not commitable after a coaching change occurred during his senior season.

Edit:

I am assuming that he was ineligible last year due to his time at OkSt. Not sure if there were other reasons (such as talent) that kept him out of other activities.

After watching Greer practice last spring, my answer to that would be "how the hell do they know who is talented or not?"

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

My bet is Greer and Dajon are gone by summer. Smith starts. McNulty is the backup. Means the future backup and Chumley spends his redshirt season discovering he is not a D1 QB but allowing our coaches to fullfil their promise to him during his recruitment.

Pie in the sky - I hope Smith maybe shows Williams a bit on how to make the right use of all of his incredible talent so that Williams can be a better QB. That, or Williams somehow takes his height, speed, and agility and becomes a bad-ass WR.

I am pretty sure Smith starts next season with McNulty as the backup. Means will probably be a change-of-pace QB. I think Chumley going RS will be a great thing for him. We'll have to see about the walk-ons. Some people discount those guys, but you never know with them.

• Upvote 1

If Smith is not the clear-cut starter by the end of Spring, we're in serious trouble... again.

Real serious trouble. First thing that comes to mind is depending on another Juco, and how has that worked recently? Only james jones is considered a success in my opinion. McKinney was average at best.

There are big differences in this year's juco commits vs the others. The current ones have performed at a higher level, have more accomplishments, and were part of successful juco teams. Very good juco recruiting this year.

Smith was a four star coming out of hs. Performed well at juco. He has talent. It's up to the staff to get him ready. one thing I read and it bothered me was he had 3 years to play two. I immediately thought redshirt this season while mcnulty starts. I hope this is not the case. No doubt Chico will be the scapegoat if this doesn't work, and he probably should be.

There is a stigma that has followed Canales claiming that his offensive system is overly complicated to learn. His offenses have had very mixed success. I would put Canales squarely on the hot seat for this upcoming season. He needs to show that he can develop a QB prior to their 5th year.

2,800 yds passing

2,000 yds rushing

28 points per game

Should be very achievable (IMO).