Creighton (12/21/14)

CMJ

So how do you square this with your criticisms of the football coaches and players? Can't have it both ways.

Again for the record and on topic: this was a quality, gutty win today. Best of Benford's time here. Congrats to the coaches and team! Build on it!

I have one issue with football. The QB play. Not necessary anything against coach Mac. I just believe he choice of QB play is terrible. It would be like Benford sitting jordan williams and playing a walk on. That would be a clear issue that is easily changed.

• Downvote 1

What I really like about this team is that they play selfless, fundamental team ball. Johnny's teams were awesome and reliant on star players, this one is very fundamental. Smothering defense. Love it.

That's not true, Johnny's teams played selfless fundamental basketball. In fact, I seem to remember JJ wouldn't even let them dunk or be flashy at all. It was all about passing and getting good shoots for your teammates when he was here which is why we won back then with much smaller teams.

• Upvote 2

That's not true, Johnny's teams played selfless fundamental basketball. In fact, I seem to remember JJ wouldn't even let them dunk or be flashy at all. It was all about passing and getting good shoots for your teammates when he was here which is why we won back then with much smaller teams.

You are correct. I recall JJ having a talking to to Mitchel after his first game when he came in all fired up and talking noise on the court. I also know first hand that he would discipline his players when they acted all big time.

I disagree. Jones teams seemed to really key in on certain stars and make them the focal point of the offense. That's no slight against Jones, I just think there's a possibility now that Benford has been looking for a different kind of roster than what he got out of Jones' squad.

I'm not saying that it was a bunch of dunkers and LeBron Jameses but I am saying there was a solid system with Jones that keyed certain players. Benford's system is based off of the team and chemistry. I'm just thinking out loud.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I disagree. Jones teams seemed to really key in on certain stars and make them the focal point of the offense. That's no slight against Jones, I just think there's a possibility now that Benford has been looking for a different kind of roster than what he got out of Jones' squad.

I'm not saying that it was a bunch of dunkers and LeBron Jameses but I am saying there was a solid system with Jones that keyed certain players. Benford's system is based off of the team and chemistry. I'm just thinking out loud.

This team doesn't have a Josh White if that's what you're saying.

• Upvote 1

Really don't know what Johnny Jones has to do with any of this. You're talking about a guy who took UNT to five straight 20 win seasons and two Sun Belt Conference titles to a guy that still hasn't finished over .500 at UNT. This was arguably UNT's biggest regular season win since the 2010 win against Texas Tech, so this was huge for Benford. But to complain about a guy with the second-most wins in school history -- especially over this -- is completely ridiculous.

• Upvote 4

Really don't know what Johnny Jones has to do with any of this. You're talking about a guy who took UNT to five straight 20 win seasons and two Sun Belt Conference titles to a guy that still hasn't finished over .500 at UNT. This was arguably UNT's biggest regular season win since the 2010 win against Texas Tech, so this was huge for Benford. But to complain about a guy with the second-most wins in school history -- especially over this -- is completely ridiculous.

Way bigger than the win against Texas tech....

• Downvote 5

I could see an argument both ways. Both wins were massive for the program when they both occurred.

It was a big win (every win is big to a team). Creighton is a far superior team. We beat a far more talented team today. Just because there were less fans and it was not a big 12 opponent does not mean it wasn't a huge win. Ranking/talent wise I wonder where it ranks over the past 10 seasons actually. It has to be top 10 one would think? CMJ might be able to shine some light for us... Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Again with cheap shots? This is a family. You judge the coach your also judging the players. You pick in one you pick on them all. You might as well just take a cheap shot at jordan williams....

If someone spoke poorly off your father or family you would be defensive too. Stop tearing down the team.

Dude.

Go create another screen name for yourself.

The players are kids who will always be UNT grads. The coach is a guy that most likely will only be here a couple more years. If you are too dense to understand this, just do us both a favor and don't respond to my posts. I'll do the same.

Deal?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Dude.

Go create another screen name for yourself.

The players are kids who will always be UNT grads. The coach is a guy that most likely will only be here a couple more years. If you are too dense to understand this, just do us both a favor and don't respond to my posts. I'll do the same.

Deal?

Who cares. At this moment they are a team. They are a family. They are all invested in this team and in eachother. They travel together and put in the time together. I can understand constructive criticism, but constantly throwing a coach under the bus gets old... You might as well throw the whole team under the bus. You mess with one of them you mess with all of them. They are a team. It's that simple. Whenever we get new players and new coaches they still get my support.

The team is 3rd in the conference and still no one can be happy. We don't need a new coach.... We need a new fan base.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Great win. Just like the A&M last year that is being referenced, we need to build off of it. This win won't do us any good if we have another losing record in conference.

Said it before, and I'll say it again, Men's basketball has to be the bright spot of our major sports this school year.

This is generally the case and I've always thought if there was a major sport that UNT can realistically thrive in it would be Men's B-Ball. Take a look at the SFA's and other small school teams that have gotten national attention in basketball during the tournament. It's what makes March Madness so much fun and different from college football which will always be dominated by the same cast of characters.

• Upvote 1

It was a big win (every win is big to a team). Creighton is a far superior team. We beat a far more talented team today. Just because there were less fans and it was not a big 12 opponent does not mean it wasn't a huge win. Ranking/talent wise I wonder where it ranks over the past 10 seasons actually. It has to be top 10 one would think? CMJ might be able to shine some light for us...

Are we speaking of my own personal rankings here? As of right now, this would probably make my top ten of the last ten seasons.

Are we speaking of my own personal rankings here? As of right now, this would probably make my top ten of the last ten seasons.

No I am referring to the rankings of the teams we have beat. I thought creighton was in the top 30-35 teams still and I am not sure the last time we beat a team ranked that high.

No I am referring to the rankings of the teams we have beat. I thought creighton was in the top 30-35 teams still and I am not sure the last time we beat a team ranked that high.

As far as quality of opponent you're correct. Now, when speaking in terms of fan excitement Tech and OK state are up there just because of the name recognition. Same with A&M last year.

Well, we kind of need to wait till the end of the season for that, don't ya think? We've had some really early season wins that were sky high RPI ranking wise because so few games had been played. I want to say we played UNC Charlotte, or someone like that, early on in the 2006-07 campaign when they were top 20 RPI. After that win, I believe we even vaulted into the top 25 RPI wise.

Creighton's RPI is 124 at the moment. It will surely go up by season's end, but we've had several wins bigger than that number.

In other words, I don't necessarily believe there is a magic ranking. Pure numbers don't indicate that Creighton is as good as their near top 25 ranking in human polls. But I also don't believe Creighton is not a top 75 program at this point in the season either.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

Well, we kind of need to wait till the end of the season for that, don't ya think? We've had some really early season wins that were sky high RPI ranking wise because so few games had been played. I want to say we played UNC Charlotte, or someone like that, early on in the 2006-07 campaign when they were top 20 RPI. After that win, I believe we even vaulted into the top 25 RPI wise.

Creighton's RPI is 124 at the moment. It will surely go up by season's end, but we've had several wins bigger than that number.

What about their actual ranking?