Langston 12/17/14

NT1978

So how many people made the game? I was unable to attend or watch it on the Internet/tv. This is the first game all season and really in a long time I have not been able to physically watch. I listened to part of the game over my lunch and was disappointed. After thinking about I realized that maybe the people who are negative never actually watch the game and only comment based on the score and the name of the team played.... I talked to some people who went to the game (the players will say the same thing) and they all said the team played fantastic for the most part and the team looked good. Listening to the game and only looking at the final score/ stats made me think the opposite. I am guessing most people who comment never watch the game and then comment. I honestly thought we played pitiful today, but that is based on a score and a little on the radio. I rather have people comment about the teams ability who actually go to the games, I cannot say much today since I could not physically see the play. Sounded dissapoitning and the stat line looked pitiful, but it's i mp ossicle to tell without witnessing the game.

Maybe people should actually pack the pit and see for themselves how we play in Sunday. I will be there.

Edited by Andrew

So how many people made the game? I was unable to attend or watch it on the Internet/tv. This is the first game all season and really in a long time I have not been able to physically watch. I listened to part of the game over my lunch and was disappointed. After thinking about I realized that maybe the people who are negative never actually watch the game and only comment based on the score and the name of the team played.... I talked to some people who went to the game (the players will say the same thing) and they all said the team played fantastic for the most part and the team looked good. Listening to the game and only looking at the final score/ stats made me think the opposite. I am guessing most people who comment never watch and game and then comment. I honestly thought we played pitiful today but that is based on a score and a little on the radio. I rather have people comment about the teams ability who actually go to the games, I cannot say much today since I could not physically see the play. Sounded dissapoitning and the stat line looked pitiful, but it's i mp ossicle to tell without witnessing the game.

Maybe people should actually pack the pit and see for themselves how we play in Sunday. I will be there.

Box score says attendance was 2,778.

It was a close game until maybe somewhere around the 6 minute mark of the second half. If we were playing tougher competition I'd say that we played a really good game. Sadly, we struggled against a NAIA team. It sounded at times like the game was very sloppy. We again had a game with turnovers in the double digits -- 13 turnovers. On the bright side of that stat we came in under the season average, which is 15.7/game.

• Upvote 1

Box score says attendance was 2,778.

It was a close game until maybe somewhere around the 6 minute mark of the second half. If we were playing tougher competition I'd say that we played a really good game. Sadly, we struggled against a NAIA team. It sounded at times like the game was very sloppy. We again had a game with turnovers in the double digits -- 13 turnovers. On the bright side of that stat we came in under the season average, which is 15.7/game.

All I gathered from the first half was we played sloppy, turned the ball over, and did not shoot as much as we should have. Didn't they out shoot us from three 30 to 10? That's the chance for an additional 60 points right there. We need to putting up shots and hit them. Stop swinging the ball and trying to get it to the post from the top. Dribble and create your shot! Or dribble and catch a double and kick out. This needs to be addressed it practice. Benford needs to have some faith and let his guys out its up.

I have also seen enough of this 2-3 zone, they do not run it well (which is odd because they have the athleticsm to cover the gaps and stop shooters).

It's time to go man to man full court press, run a simple motion or flex offense and let our guys create their own shot.

Well, I was one of the few adults actually there, and I'll say this about the final score: We often pushed the tempo, got sloppy, and subsequently either turned over the ball or tried to force an awkward shot. However, it never really felt like Langston had a chance to win. Every time they nearly caught up, we tightened things up and exercised a bit more patience on offense, which cushioned the lead.

• Upvote 1

Well, I was one of the few adults actually there, and I'll say this about the final score: We often pushed the tempo, got sloppy, and subsequently either turned over the ball or tried to force an awkward shot. However, it never really felt like Langston had a chance to win. Every time they nearly caught up, we tightened things up and exercised a bit more patience on offense, which cushioned the lead.

Maybe Benford was pulling back to see what the guys could do on their own? I was not there so it's a question. We do always seem to play too our competition. We hung with SFA a even with all the injuries (we would have won if Todd and TJ were good to go), we hung with Iona for a half and played Arkansas tight down to the wire almost. We also played well against a really good OSU state team. Is it a case of we play to our competition or Benford letting the guys roll it out there are play?

Edited by Andrew
  • Downvote 4

Maybe Benford was pulling back to see what the guys could do on their own? I was not there so it's a question. We do always seem to play too our competition. We hung with SFA a even with all the injuries (we would have won if Todd and TJ were good to go), we hung with Iona for a half and played Arkansas tight down to the wire almost. We also played well against a really good OSU state team. Is it a case of we play to our competition or Benford letting the guys roll it out there are play?

Or maybe the competition plays to our level....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just to make sure I have this correct: The coach is only coaching parts of games when things go well, but whenever things go poorly, he's letting the guys do it alone to see how they handle him not coaching? That's incredible, even for you.

• Upvote 6

Just to make sure I have this correct: The coach is only coaching parts of games when things go well, but whenever things go poorly, he's letting the guys do it alone to see how they handle him not coaching? That's incredible, even for you.

You could actually read what I posted.... When the team has a lead he is letting them loose. Then when the game gets close he tightens it up again. It was also a question not a comment.....Maybe if people read what others typed there would be a lot less foolish comments made.

If you really wanted to make sure you got what I said correct you could copy and paste it instead of typing nonsense I never said.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You could actually read what I posted.... When the team has a lead he is letting them loose. Then when the game gets close he tightens it up again. It was also a question not a comment.....Maybe if people read what others typed there would be a lot less foolish comments made.

That would be poor management of the team if that was the case.

That would be poor management of the team if that was the case.

Which is why it's a question? It seems that way but I wanted to ask someone who went to the game. We have only ever done that against easier teams like Langston and Nicholls. We did not do that against SFA, OSU State, and Arkansas. Again I think that is what is happening but I am unsure. We have done that in the past under the previous coach. Of course result were different then as well.

• Downvote 2