WR Verbal Commit Thaddeous Thompson

sgmthompson

This signing excites me. True outside deep threat to partner with Goree allowing Harris to move back to the slot. Our WR's could be strong this year.

A little more background on Thompson:

• Comes from a Military family, moved from city to city, country to country every three years of his life
  • National level AAU Basketball player until family moved to Cibolo TX during JR year,, home of Texas football power Bryon P. Steele. Coaches there convinced him to switch to football
  • Sacrificed for team bulked up and played WR & TE. Playing weight in HS was 217. Was fast, but not fast enough for the big schools, so he recieved offers from the likes of Mississippi State; Air Force; Sam Houston State and others to play H-Back. He refused so the offers were never posted
  • Went to Scottsdale, lost 22 lbs, speed went from 4.67 to 4.47, you can see the difference in explosion from the HS film and the Scottsdale film
  • Fell thru the cracks in recruiting, due to breaking collarbone the day before the Spring game, where 30 plus Scouts were there ( Including Coach Canales )
  • Hurt collarbone again 1 week before season opener but played thru it. Ranked 23rd nationally in catches/yds per catch
  • Bowl Game MVP
  • North Texas has a steal. Most of the big name schools did not find out about him until it was too late.
  • Will be playing with a chip on his shoulder
  • Upvote 6

• Comes from a Military family, moved from city to city, country to country every three years of his life
  • National level AAU Basketball player until family moved to Cibolo TX during JR year,, home of Texas football power Bryon P. Steele. Coaches there convinced him to switch to football
  • Sacrificed for team bulked up and played WR & TE. Playing weight in HS was 217. Was fast, but not fast enough for the big schools, so he recieved offers from the likes of Mississippi State; Air Force; Sam Houston State and others to play H-Back. He refused so the offers were never posted
  • Went to Scottsdale, lost 22 lbs, speed went from 4.67 to 4.47, you can see the difference in explosion from the HS film and the Scottsdale film
  • Fell thru the cracks in recruiting, due to breaking collarbone the day before the Spring game, where 30 plus Scouts were there ( Including Coach Canales )
  • Hurt collarbone again 1 week before season opener but played thru it. Ranked 23rd nationally in catches/yds per catch
  • Bowl Game MVP
  • North Texas has a steal. Most of the big name schools did not find out about him until it was too late.

Thanks for the info. As I mentioned earlier, I like the film on him. I look forward to his having great success at North Texas, both on the field and in the classroom.

• Upvote 1

<p>

• Bowl Game MVP
I had a hunch the weight thing was a possibility. Seeing he weighed less in his high school profile than in college.

Also, since he didn't get to Steele until his junior year he didn't get to play with our very own Alex Lincoln. Either way, great to have him!

• Upvote 2

I like that he comes from a military family. I'm hoping it means he is disciplined, grounded, and respectful. A part of being respectful is not underestimating your opponents and understanding and willing to always work harder than them.

I like that he has a chip on his shoulder. He won't accept losing and wants to prove himself.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am excited about Thaddeus joining the Mean Green. I think he will add to a very deep WR position. He and Goree on the outside with Harris and Kidsy in the slot have me excited. Now about that QB feeding them the ball!

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1