'15 JUCO QB DaMarcus Smith

NT03

Pretty good reason why you would tell the Riddle kid not to waste a trip, if you knew you were going to be looking at a JUCO QB. It should add one more immediate competitor to the QB race. Would like for Dajon to stick around and see a battle between him and Demarcus, with McNulty as a veteran safety valve. I hope for the best for Greer, but frankly just do not see the potential yet.

Glad to know that we will have another QB with experience competing for a spot during the Spring and Fall.

• Upvote 1

Watch his Juco HUDL video...

All I can say is ... WOW!

Yes and no.

Really like that in a lot of the HUDL video he is under pressure. He shows that he just doesn't tuck the ball and run at the first sign of trouble. He moves in the pocket and keeps his eyes downfield, completing many passes after eluding a rusher.

Also a really good runner when he has to.

Not crazy about his accuracy or his arm strength. A lot of those passes he won't be able to get away with at this level. A lot of air under some of them.

But you can only tell so much from a huddle video, and on decision making alone, he looks to be better than anything on our roster right now.

Even though his arm strength isn't optimal, it's a lot better than the arm that currently occupies the starting position.

Is Smith transferring in in January?

I'm telling you, this dude is big time. I want to know what his current offers are, not his HS offers. Like I said, if he comes in and is a student of the game and we can get some quality play calling around him he will shine.

That's the big question right now. This is a dude who is in his 4th year out of high school and he's playing JUCO ball. He didn't qualify academically at UCF, transferred out of WKU ball, and we're now basically going to be his 4th school. That alone could make schools pretty hesitant.

As it is now, I'm tempering my expectations for this kid. His JUCO stats were very similar to Jaquez Johnson's when he signed with FAU two years ago, so that's kind of what my reference is for what I'd realistically expect from Smith, if he becomes the starter. I'd take those stats, but people may be seeing bigger numbers and aspiration for Smith. So we'll see.

• Upvote 2

Former Seneca High School and Western Kentucky University quarterback Damarcus Smith, who spent this season at Butler Community College in Kansas, has committed to North Texas, his coach said. Smith will sign this week and enroll next month with two years of eligibility remaining.

Butler coach Troy Morrell said Indiana also had been recruiting Smith, along with some FCS teams.

Smith had a strong season at Butler (7-3), passing for 2,509 yards and 28 touchdowns with six interceptions in nine games. He completing 60 percent of his throws. In a 53-36 victory over Dodge City in October, Smith threw for 526 yards and five TDs.

"He threw the ball really well and was consistent for us all year long and made a lot of big plays," Morrell said. "He was a good leader for us as well."

Morrell said Smith has "tremendous arm strength" at a level similar to former Butler quarterback Zach Mettenberger, who went on to play at LSU and now for the Tennessee Titans.

"He can throw the ball really well, and he's one of the most elusive quarterbacks I've ever had here," Morrell said. "He understands the game really well. He's definitely a guy that spends the time and strives to be good."

Read more: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/recruiting/2014/12/14/former-wku-seneca-quarterback-damarcus-smith-commits-north-texas-junior-college/20414965/

Former Seneca High School and Western Kentucky University quarterback Damarcus Smith, who spent this season at Butler Community College in Kansas, has committed to North Texas, his coach said. Smith will sign this week and enroll next month with two years of eligibility remaining.

Butler coach Troy Morrell said Indiana also had been recruiting Smith, along with some FCS teams.

Smith had a strong season at Butler (7-3), passing for 2,509 yards and 28 touchdowns with six interceptions in nine games. He completing 60 percent of his throws. In a 53-36 victory over Dodge City in October, Smith threw for 526 yards and five TDs.

"He threw the ball really well and was consistent for us all year long and made a lot of big plays," Morrell said. "He was a good leader for us as well."

Morrell said Smith has "tremendous arm strength" at a level similar to former Butler quarterback Zach Mettenberger, who went on to play at LSU and now for the Tennessee Titans.

"He can throw the ball really well, and he's one of the most elusive quarterbacks I've ever had here," Morrell said. "He understands the game really well. He's definitely a guy that spends the time and strives to be good."

Read more: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/recruiting/2014/12/14/former-wku-seneca-quarterback-damarcus-smith-commits-north-texas-junior-college/20414965/

Just going by what is on the HUDL video, like I said.

We will see in Spring practice.

• Upvote 1

Just going by what is on the HUDL video, like I said.

We will see in Spring practice.

I think he knew the level of competition he was playing in and on some of his throws you can tell. He lobs it in to guys quite a bit because he knows he can get away with it by looking at tape. He has the strongest arm on the team once he steps foot on campus. I critiqued his pinpoint accuracy when I first looked at his highlight. His WR's had to work for some of his throws. I think he will be fine, particularly considering who he will be competing against. If he stays in good graces with Mac (which is stupid that we have to say stuff like this) he should be our starter. QB2 should be McNulty, but Connor Means should get every mop up duty snap (if there are any). This is the type of commit that puts excitement into the program.

OK.
Now we're talking. Maybe Chico (or whoever was recruiting him) already had the ball rolling when he notified Mr. Riddle about not taking a HS QB.

He's certainly stepping into a nice situation. He'll have weapons all around him.

Move Harris to the slot, and get those Carthage boys on the outsides. Really looking forward to some more Wilson next year, and Marcus Smith started to show some life last season.

I'm also not as worried about the OL unless Rice & Epps are both busts. Kirby returns @ Center. One of last year's best recruits was Chris Miles, who just completed his RS year. He could be an answer at one Tackle spot. Then, you're looking at Rentfro, Banogu & Trussell on the other side. I think we'll be OK.

Just needed a QB who can execute Chico's playbook to the point where it doesn't need to be chopped down to extremely conservative plays in order to 'protect the football'.

Oh My, that Butler Hudl vid!

He throws so well on the run. 5:48 & 6:59 marks: watch them and enjoy.

He keeps his eyes downfield even when under duress & flushed out of the pocket. His highlights look like he really doesn't like to run, he'd rather throw.

A few of them where he was right around the goal line & rolling out, I'm thinking, "OK, he's gonna run this in here", but he finds some TE or something. Completely different than DW's mindset.

And I don't think McNulty or Greer could make 1/2 of those throws on the run like that.

Understandable to lose the starting job to Doughty @ WKU. That dude is the best QB in the conference now that Cato is graduating. Hope that lights a fire under Smith, because I'm betting he gets a shot at WKU sometime in the next 2 years.

BTW... reflecting on the last Smith @ QB here... Big shoes to fill DeMarcus. Best of luck & welcome aboard. We're so glad you're here!