UNT defensive coordinator update

Harry

UNT coach Dan McCarney will begin interviewing candidates to become the Mean Green’s new defensive coordinator next week.

John Skladany spent three seasons in that capacity at UNT before electing to retire. McCarney’s long-time right-hand man completed his career with the Mean Green this past season, the pair’s 13th working together.

McCarney has said ever since announcing this fall that Skladany is retiring that there has been tremendous interest in the position.

Skladany was a veteran coach who worked as a coordinator at Central Florida, Houston and Iowa State, where he spent 10 seasons with McCarney, before arriving at UNT.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/12/unt-defensive-coordinator-update.html/

This is one of the benefits of hiring someone who has been a head coach prior to UNT. Coach McCarney know a lot of people and I'm sure will hire us an excellent coach to fill the position. I have NO worries at all about this hire or his timing.

The man knows what he is doing.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

This is one of the benefits of hiring someone who has been a head coach prior to UNT. Coach McCarney know a lot of people and I'm sure will hire us an excellent coach to fill the position. I have NO worries at all about this hire or his timing.

I agree with you about the experienced head coach and the contacts that he has. Just like it did with Skladany, Coach Mac's knowledge of guys like this will only help our situation.

• Upvote 1

I agree with UNT86, "The man knows what he is doing!" but many NT fans say the opposite about coach Mac!

Coach Mac cannot coach, cannot recruit, cannot do this or that! Total flop as a HFC!

Only Mean Green fans can give support to a coach then turn around and throw the coach under the bus!

I support Coach Mac 100%! The man does know what he is doing!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I agree with UNT86, "The man knows what he is doing!" but many NT fans say the opposite about coach Mac!

Coach Mac cannot coach, cannot recruit, cannot do this or that! Total flop as a HFC!

Only Mean Green fans can give support to a coach then turn around and throw the coach under the bus!

I support Coach Mac 100%! The man does know what he is doing!

I've not seen anyone claim he can't coach. Maybe I've missed that?

But his overall record is not good, his road record is worse and it's appearing to most by now that he has trouble recruiting. Is it a leap to say he can't win without Dodge's players? Maybe, maybe not? We'll be able to answer that one in the next 24 months.

But if your going to start complaining about a lack of fans showing up,....or about how difficult it is to recruit here, ....or just because your playing in new facilities doesn't instantly spell success, at the first sign that things are going south,...all while your earning $700k to win, then there's gonna be criticism.

Rick

• Upvote 3

Rick summed up Coach Mac's tenure at UNT perfectly! He would be best served bringing in a DC with a Texas high school background, otherwise the new head coach at SMU will really eat his lunch.I just don't see a happy ending for Coach Mac. He may be able to coach, but I don't think he can recruit, and 2015 probably will be be a repeat of 2014.

LOL! This guy doesn't know what he's doing. Are you not paying attention? Have you not been listening to what he's been saying for the last four years? Good grief. UNT fans are the most naive gullible people on the face of the earth. No wonder the BOR and the AD can get away with seducing so many of you into accepting failure.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I've not seen anyone claim he can't coach. Maybe I've missed that?

But his overall record is not good, his road record is worse and it's appearing to most by now that he has trouble recruiting. Is it a leap to say he can't win without Dodge's players? Maybe, maybe not? We'll be able to answer that one in the next 24 months.

But if your going to start complaining about a lack of fans showing up,....or about how difficult it is to recruit here, ....or just because your playing in new facilities doesn't instantly spell success, at the first sign that things are going south,...all while your earning $700k to win, then there's gonna be criticism.

Rick

Good post Rick. I agree with all of that.

So let me sum it up and be the first to say, MAC CAN'T COACH!!

Take mac outside the security of the four walls of a BCS institution or the protection of a P5 conference and he is exposed for what he really is, a cheerleader. Thats what RV bought. Thats what we have as our head coach. A cheerleader.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Downvote 5

Rick summed up Coach Mac's tenure at UNT perfectly! He would be best served bringing in a DC with a Texas high school background, otherwise the new head coach at SMU will really eat his lunch.I just don't see a happy ending for Coach Mac. He may be able to coach, but I don't think he can recruit, and 2015 probably will be be a repeat of 2014.

Mendoza might be available to come back.

I kid, I kid ... I make myself cry of the horrible memory.

Sadly, Mac appears to be going the "a guy I know" route instead of trying to find an up and coming assistant who can coach AND recruit.

We need a good recruiter as much as we need a good coach at this position.

Discouraging.

I agree with this.

I think We need a young, vibrant coach that can relate to these kids. A Patrick type coach. Mac is already "old school" His enthusiam and sales makes up for it though. Cant have the rest of the staff be old though. We need guys that will be on Facebook, instagram, and twitter.

I see the new thing now is taking pictures of recruiters when they come on the visits...