Thoughts on C-USA UAB Replacement Timing

Harry

I wasn't suggesting O, but not far from it. That first vote you referred to was a disaster because the printed info (which I contributed $50 to the fund to have it printed) that was put out in public areas of the school clearly indicated that the athletic department was behind the vote. RV was advised (not by me) that that was not a good idea as too many anti-athletic dept students would jump all over it......which they did.

Bingo. I do give credit to RV for overseeing the building of Apogee but he didn't get the vote passed.

As SE noted, in my opinion he was the reason (for reasons above) that the initial vote failed. He was advised (hmmm, by who?) to get it passed under the radar but he wouldn't listen. Neither would a lot of alums, to be fair. I do think we got a better stadium with Apogee than we would have after the first vote.

For what it's worth, I thought no way Helwig would be fired (he did too and told many of us several times) but it happened.

I have plenty of issues with RV (we have the worst marketing ideas in the history of....ever?) but there has been progress under him and to label his time a disaster would not be fair (how's that for faint praise). But at this point the AD is treading water (at best) and stale. As the old adage goes, we could do worse......but in my opinion we could do a whole lot better too.

• Upvote 1

I agree that we need a new AD for the following:

1. Fresh marketing ideas

2. Apparel everywhere especially around DFW

3. Scheduling - incarnate word did RV in

4. Creative aggressive marketing

5. Drawing long standing loyal fans back into the program - townhalls asking for input communication etc...

6. Building of Denton support

7. Expanding support initiatives in DFW

8. Bringing back basketball at unt

9. Pushing baseball along spring is boring

I won't bash RV but rather thank him for all he has done over the years while looking forward to a new regime with excitement. Every position has a creativity shelf life before bitterness and doom arrive. Time to get creative in that department again. GMG

• Upvote 1