WBB vs OU on Fox SW

NT03

Peterson is an absolute headscratcher to me. I thought he was the perfect replacement for Karen, but I cannot even fathom how this team fell from what it was his first year. Did he just give up?

Occasionally good coaches find a place they can't win at for whatever reason. I'm not saying Peterson is a "good" coach, but he's certainly decent going off of his record at Wake. You'd think he was set up for success here.

Look at someone like John Brady. He did decently at LSU overall, and had that one great squad that made the Final Four. Certainly he was gonna kick ass at ASU...but he hasn't. He's basically been .500 since he got there.

Or, to trade sports...what about Rich Rodriguez, He's done well for himself everywhere but Michigan. And coaching the Wolverines should be a dream job. Now look at him...doing well at AZ.

Sometimes a coach just doesn't work out at a certain gig, even if he is a good one.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What might be the most funniest thing about North Texas fans is that the grass is always a better shade of green on the other side of the fence. We could have the world's best coaches (never will happen with our PB&J level budget) and we'd still think that coach is awful and there are people that could do better.

I think this is a pretty profound statement -- we seem to think that a new hire = success and it just doesn't work like that. Again, I recall Johnny was on the edge of getting his walking papers here when things just gelled.. I think UNT fans who want coaching changes need to realize that our history doesn't bode very well in that particular regard. Does coaching stability play a part of a mid major turn around? I think it can.

That would take hiring an SID staff that had a clue.

Hey I don't blame them for trying to put lipstick on a pig but goodness sometimes you leave bad enough alone. The womens basktball record is an embarrassment and should not be highlighted in any way. You don't give out a trophy for last place.

Hey I don't blame them for trying to put lipstick on a pig but goodness sometimes you leave bad enough alone. The womens basktball record is an embarrassment and should not be highlighted in any way. You don't give out a trophy for last place.

Yes, it's just total embarrassment to the whole program for the Department to even post that score and ad in public.

Occasionally good coaches find a place they can't win at for whatever reason. I'm not saying Peterson is a "good" coach, but he's certainly decent going off of his record at Wake. You'd think he was set up for success here.

Look at someone like John Brady. He did decently at LSU overall, and had that one great squad that made the Final Four. Certainly he was gonna kick ass at ASU...but he hasn't. He's basically been .500 since he got there.

Or, to trade sports...what about Rich Rodriguez, He's done well for himself everywhere but Michigan. And coaching the Wolverines should be a dream job. Now look at him...doing well at AZ.

Sometimes a coach just doesn't work out at a certain gig, even if he is a good one.

Yeah, Rich R./Michigan is a great example of good coach in a bad place. Even if that bad place is a good spot.

I think this is a pretty profound statement -- we seem to think that a new hire = success and it just doesn't work like that. Again, I recall Johnny was on the edge of getting his walking papers here when things just gelled.. I think UNT fans who want coaching changes need to realize that our history doesn't bode very well in that particular regard. Does coaching stability play a part of a mid major turn around? I think it can.

I hate this argument. We've been beaten down for so long that we'll accept anything above 0 wins because we're scared of the next guy?

Yeah, our history is bad in that regard because we continue to employ the person in charge coaching hires.

• Upvote 2

Unless you have the ability to hop between parallel universes (assuming alternate universes even exist) there's no way to know she would be doing any better. We're basing that assumption off of one season and I guess how she's doing down in Austin with much better recruits.

What might be the most funniest thing about North Texas fans is that the grass is always a better shade of green on the other side of the fence. We could have the world's best coaches (never will happen with our PB&J level budget) and we'd still think that coach is awful and there are people that could do better.

But there is a way to know how. It's called inferring through facts of the outcome she produced before, during and after her time here.

To suggest she would have gone 0-6 her third year here is silly.

And your the one that first brought her up here on this thread pointing to the greener grass. Like to argue do you?

And we've had top coach's with our budget before so I don't see where your going with that arguement? Just because others are getting more bang for their bucks doesn't mean we can't. The Legend got his ass kicked in his 4th season by two second year coaches and a first year coach in football. The grass seemed greener for three programs in year two or less. Give me greener grass any time cause I like winning.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

I can't even stand to watch "good" girls basketball..... I can only imagine what it's like to watch the Mean Green version.

I hear ya. Lots of folks had the same attitude at SFA, La Tech and as recently as at Middle Tennessee. But as soon as those programs got ranked and started to bring their schools some recognition opinions changed.

Rick

But there is a way to know how. It's called inferring through facts of the outcome she produced before, during and after her time here.

Rick

Rick, you have a hypothesis, nothing more. Again, there is no real way to know things would or would not be better today if Karen Aston was (still) at the helm. One would think it might be based on how she is doing at Texas with the budget and level of recruits Texas can acquire but again, there is no way to prove it.

• Upvote 1

Rick, you have a hypothesis, nothing more. Again, there is no real way to know things would or would not be better today if Karen Aston was (still) at the helm. One would think it might be based on how she is doing at Texas with the budget and level of recruits Texas can acquire but again, there is no way to prove it.

I would think that her situation at Charlotte would have been very similar to UNT. Her budget and recruiting would likely be very similar and she won at Charlotte...

Since RV chose not to renew Tina Slinker's contract after the 2007-2008 season RV has made three hires (Stephens, Aston, and Peterson). Those three hires have now coached 6 full seasons, with zero winning seasons and we appear well on our way to a 7th losing season. The three are a combined 63-126 (.333 winning pct). The best season by far has been Aston's 2011-2012 season, after taking over a 5-26 team.

Aston's record: 15-16, (.484 winning pct)

Stephens' and Peterson's combined record: 48-110 (.304 winning pct)

Edited by BillySee58

No it's just an opinion. Last I checked opinions were still allowed on fan message boards.

And if one, meaning (you) wants to have your opinion and argue that year 3 here would have somehow gone belly up at 0-6 based off of her current position at Texas, then fine by me. People find all kinds of strange ways to justify their opinion. Just look at Skiver.

I'll base my opinion on her history as the recruiting coordinator for Kim Mulkey at Baylor and her ability to recruit talent there, like the freshman conference POY she left Petey to run off here. I'll base it on her coaching ability that helped her win at Charlotte, a program very similar to the size and budget at North Texas. And I'll also base it on her success here turning a 6 and nothing program to a 15-16 team, one point from 16-15.

I wonder if she's ever had a team that had 37 TO's in a game? It's possible, but I'd be surprised if it ever happened? I'll see if I can look it up.

Rick

Since RV chose not to renew Tina Slinker's contract after the 2007-2008 season RV has made three hires (Stephens, Aston, and Peterson). Those three hires have now coached 6 full seasons, with zero winning seasons and we appear well on our way to a 7th losing season. The three are a combined 63-126 (.333 winning pct). The best season by far has been Aston's 2011-2012 season, after taking over a 5-26 team.

Aston's record: 15-16, (.484 winning pct)

Stephens' and Peterson's combined record: 48-110 (.304 winning pct)

That is some bad basketball minus Aston. I haven't seen a men's game, but that women's team is struggling with the fundamentals.

Peterson is an absolute headscratcher to me. I thought he was the perfect replacement for Karen, but I cannot even fathom how this team fell from what it was his first year. Did he just give up?

Ok, I just don't get it. Isn't this kind of resume (up until employment at UNT) what we have been demanding as fans:

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/mike_petersen_850641.html

Is there something in the process where RV lowers expectations for newly hired coaches? I find it hard, however, to explain incompetency with a conspiracy theory. I have one sister who was highly involved with her small town girls' basketball team, and understand the passion young women can have for the game, to the point of her/her family making sacrifices to stay at a school. This program seems to produce the kind of mentality of those leaving a burning building: just get out with the clothes on your back, or whatever you were or were not wearing at the time; just get out alive.

• Upvote 1

Ok, I just don't get it. Isn't this kind of resume (up until employment at UNT) what we have been demanding as fans:

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/mike_petersen_850641.html

Is there something in the process where RV lowers expectations for newly hired coaches? I find it hard, however, to explain incompetency with a conspiracy theory. I have one sister who was highly involved with her small town girls' basketball team, and understand the passion young women can have for the game, to the point of her/her family making sacrifices to stay at a school. This program seems to produce the kind of mentality of those leaving a burning building: just get out with the clothes on your back, or whatever you were or were not wearing at the time; just get out alive.

This made me laugh.

Head coach Mike Petersen enters his third season in command of the Mean Green women's basketball program. Since being introduced as the seventh coach in North Texas women's basketball history on April 16, 2012, Petersen has changed the perception of NT women's hoops into that of a contender. .....

After a 10 win season last year our perception is that of a contender?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1