SFA Sunday Dec 14

NT03

We have not been healthy for 3 seasons, and this is Benford's 3rd season. Coincidence? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Last year was the healthiest, luckiest season for any basketball team that I can remember.

One guy missed anything resembling significant injury time, and it was the lowest utilized guy on the roster.

If I cared enough, I would tell you exactly how JJ was a better coach by leaps and bounds. I won't go into great detail but, JJ teams could operate an effective offense and make basic passes. Benfords teams try to make a post entry from the point, that my friend is a mistake you learn to quit doing in MS. JJ teams could understand what other teams were trying to do offensively, you know like set their best shooter up for a flare screen off an inbounds. I'm sure that wasn't the first time SFA ran that play. It is just pathetic. The team did not looked prepared, inspired, or any other adjective you could describe. Just flip your freaking TV on and you will see 5-10 other mid majors giving top 25 teams a fit each week. Are they that much different than us?? Yes, they hire competent HC's who can get their kids ready to play. I'm sorry but whatever is going in basketball is not cutting it for me.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Good effort by a decimated squad. When you play two walk-ons to the best of my knowledge that have not played at all, results are not going to be good.. Point play was questionable before this game, but with four players who have played out, little hope.

Other than generally good defense and hustle, the bright spot was the play of Combs. He is raw, but already could be the best player on the team.

• Upvote 2

Again I'm not sure what people expect when you play two walk ons due to injuries. If we had TJ and Mo and Deandre did not go down we would have won. At this point we need to go 6-6 in OOC play and get healthy for for the UTEPS game.the season is far from over.

I do not remeber swing teams with Josh white, Tristan Thompson, odufuwa, keith wooden, Ben bell, Calvin Watson, leanard Hopkins, chris Davis etc.... Ever having to deal with a lot of injury issues. Nothing wrong with our effort today. When you end a game with only 4 scholarship players and two walk ons playing minutes your going to lose. I am convinced that people do not watch or listen to any games. They literally just repeate what a few people say on here and act as if they experienced anything first hand or have any knowledge of the game. When was the last time a UNT coach won a game when they had to close it out with the injuries we dealt with today? If Josh white and Tristan Thompson went down JJ's records would have been terrible. Jordan williams cannot do it all by himself with 2 freshman and two walk ons. We literally ran out two freshmen, two walk ons and jordan williams.

• Upvote 1

We started walk on Tyler Hall for most of a season because we were so depleted ...

I wasn't even JJ'a biggest fan , but for you to constantly take a jab at him to try & justify Benford's shortcomings is pathetic

I am not jabbing him. I am only saying he did not have injury issues like Benford has had. At least to my knowledge. I remeber tyler hall. He could play! We use to hoop in the rec together. I do not know if he is better or worse than Cambell.

Johhny was a better coach than Benford. It just gets old seeing people bash Benford for things that are out of is control. 4-4 is what was expected. That would have been expected with any coach. At least based on how everyone talked up Iona and SFA.

• Upvote 1

We started walk on Tyler Hall for most of a season because we were so depleted ...

I wasn't even JJ'a biggest fan , but for you to constantly take a jab at him to try & justify Benford's shortcomings is pathetic

When Benford is gone, does Andrew disappear and do we get Tasty back?

That only fair, right?

Right?

Dear God, please tell me that's right.

• Upvote 2

When Benford is gone, does Andrew disappear and do we get Tasty back?

That only fair, right?

Right?

Dear God, please tell me that's right.

I will be here through any and every coach. I enjoy the game and love UNT. I grew up going to the games and I'm hoping my son will grow up going to them as well.

• Upvote 1

Again I'm not sure what people expect when you play two walk ons due to injuries. If we had TJ and Mo and Deandre did not go down we would have won. At this point we need to go 6-6 in OOC play and get healthy for for the UTEPS game.the season is far from over.

I do not remeber swing teams with Josh white, Tristan Thompson, odufuwa, keith wooden, Ben bell, Calvin Watson, leanard Hopkins, chris Davis etc.... Ever having to deal with a lot of injury issues. Nothing wrong with our effort today. When you end a game with only 4 scholarship players and two walk ons playing minutes your going to lose. I am convinced that people do not watch or listen to any games. They literally just repeate what a few people say on here and act as if they experienced anything first hand or have any knowledge of the game. When was the last time a UNT coach won a game when they had to close it out with the injuries we dealt with today? If Josh white and Tristan Thompson went down JJ's records would have been terrible. Jordan williams cannot do it all by himself with 2 freshman and two walk ons. We literally ran out two freshmen, two walk ons and jordan williams.

the fact that Benford has swung and missed on recruiting AND keeping players at UNT is the real issue... no, other coaches don't deal with these depth issues because the players they recruit actually see the court in a real live game... call it what you want... but if Benford had the guys that he had signed (or been able to keep guys from the last few years on the roster) none of this is an issue... yes it sucks that all these tragedies are striking Benford and he's not getting a 'fair shake' but i have to think he is pretty responsible for it.

Edited by golfingomez

And that's great.

I was talking about this forum, where you magically appeared as Skiver then transformed into Andrew right about the time Benford arrived.

Sadly, Tasty started to fade away at the same time. I miss his basketball knowledge, which I respected even though we didn't see eye to eye on everything all the time.

It has been replaced by a guy who thinks you defend the three with a 2-3 zone.

Yes, I long for the good old days.

the fact that Benford has swung and missed on recruiting AND keeping players at UNT is the real issue... no, other coaches don't deal with these depth issues because the players they recruit actually see the court in a real live game... call it what you want... but if Benford had the guys that he had signed (or been able to keep guys from the last few years on the roster) none of this is an issue... yes it sucks that all these tragedies are striking Benford and he's not getting a 'fair shake' but i have to think he is pretty responsible for it.

The only player that left due to Benford that was of any cosquence was chris jones. Any other recruit who did not sign was not good enough. Overlander did not cut it. Norris knew his minutes were going to dwindle and PJ Hardwick was apparently involved with a girl on the women's team who left so he packed it up as well. Wesley made his choices and that stinks, but that is not on the coaches. Reese was denied and will be here the next two seasons. That's a good thing. Benford was also able to bring in combs, Pittman, and TJ Taylor (along with Reese). These are good players. Recruiting is not an issue. Health and chemistry are issues. The lack of an offense is dissapponting as well. There are clearly things the team and the coaches need to work on.

• Upvote 1

And that's great.

I was talking about this forum, where you magically appeared as Skiver then transformed into Andrew right about the time Benford arrived.

Sadly, Tasty started to fade away at the same time. I miss his basketball knowledge, which I respected even though we didn't see eye to eye on everything all the time.

It has been replaced by a guy who thinks you defend the three with a 2-3 zone.

Yes, I long for the good old days.

By basketball knowledge you mean facts that could be looked up online and a condescending tone? I rather listen to guys like CMJ and Cooley. At least when it comes to people on the boards.

• Upvote 2

My biggest concern is that we just can't put the ball in the basket with any consistency. We had a key guy out in TJ Taylor, and a guy in Todd Eaglin who is just a non factor. That's no excuse for shooting under 30%. SFA didn't shoot well either today. Anytime a team shoots well I just don't see us being able to keep up.

Dear God, I wish this "Andrew" gimmick would go away. This bit is so tired.

I am no gimmick. I just enjoy UNT basketball. I also find it funny Rick "ignores" people on here yet high fives them at the games. At least last season when I was in the stands more and had walked around him. Same thing with Emmit and Rudy actually. They even gave Halloween candy to my son last year at the rice game. People get a little riduclous on the boards. They seem to be nice Pepe I real life haha.

Anyway.... I want what everyone else wants. That is a winning basketball team. Maybe Benford is the man and maybe he is not. Regardless these players can be the players to turn it around. Think about Combs and Pittman going forward. Reese next season and having a solid seven footer. All of these are good signs going forward. I am still interested to see who we sign with our now 3 avilable remianing scholarships.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

Think about Combs and Pittman going forward. Reese next season and having a solid seven footer. All of these are good signs going forward. I am still interested to see who we sign with our now 3 avilable remianing scholarships.

What have you seen from Greg White-Pittman that has you excited? I haven't seen much of anything from him against D1 competition. And Combs is a solid player, but he just doesn't have a solid offensive game to where we can rely on him to be a consistent scorer, outside of tip-ins, putbacks, etc.

That's my biggest concern both this year and going into next year. Being able to score the basketball. I'm very concerned once Jordan Williams leaves, not to mention TJ Taylor and Colin Voss (and surprisingly Armani Flannigan).

Edited by BillySee58

What have you seen from Greg White-Pittman that has you excited? I haven't seen much of anything from him against D1 competition. And Combs is a solid player, but he just doesn't have a solid offensive game to where we can rely on him to be a consistent scorer, outside of tip-ins, putbacks, etc.

That's my biggest concern both this year and going into next year. Being able to score the basketball. I'm very concerned once Jordan Williams leaves, not to mention TJ Taylor and Colin Voss (and surprisingly Armani Flannigan).

Next season we will rely heavily on Anefiok and Reese. Maybe Ward will show something? Pittman like Harris is very raw but very talented. They can both score and play D well. They are both intense players but very very streaky. Combs could developed a shot in a time. I am hoping he is looking to add one to his game. Other than that I am hoping we add a solid shooter with one of our 3 remaining scholarships. We will need it. It's just surprising how difficult it is for our guys to score. Forte was throwing up everything against us and getting it to go. Our guys never seem to even take the chance. They rather pass it around and drive. I understand the logic there. However, good teams can score it from anywhere, not just on the drive or in the paint. Lots to work on going forward but still some hope for this season and the future. Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

The only player that left due to Benford that was of any cosquence was chris jones. Any other recruit who did not sign was not good enough. Overlander did not cut it maybe, i guess this one is not arguable,. Norris knew his minutes were going to dwindle and PJ Hardwick was apparently involved with a girl on the women's team who left so he packed it up as well both of these sound like cases where Benford lost guards that were useable in a situation like today. Wesley made his choices and that stinks, but that is not on the coaches please explain how when a coach brings in a player and cannot keep that player from getting in trouble with the law he is not at fault, somewhere along the line, Benford needs to recognize this kid needed some guidance, and/or needed to not be at UNT. Reese was denied and will be here the next two seasons. That's a good thing. Benford was also able to bring in combs, Pittman, and TJ Taylor (along with Reese). These are good players. Recruiting is not an issue. Health and chemistry are issues. The lack of an offense is dissapponting as well. There are clearly things the team and the coaches need to work on. So we are not going to talk about Gaines? what about Odoh? what about Forrest Robinson? what about Keith Coleman? what about Tony Nunn? what about Joshua Friar? he might be able to recruit well, but something is not working when it comes to getting these players on the court...

We need to just practice shooting. We rely far to much on our athleticsm to dictate our offensive game. That in turn is also leading to injuries. See deandre harris right now. Athleticsm is great but you need to shoot the ball and be able to make baskets. We cannot seem to take shots.

So we need to work on one of the most fundamental aspects of the game? Yep, we're screwed.

• Upvote 2