'15 DL LB TE Josiah Tauaefa

Legendary.....?.... They beat us...congrats? Is that what you want to be in order? He walked into the best case scenario at Miami. He got the utsa gig because of walking into that scenario. Dude has made the best of what he has been given at utsa, but I am going to rain on his parade if given the opportunity bc I want to. Oh and I signed up on GMG on my wifes FB on accident. Oh well...

I guess I'm kind of confused by the outrage involving Tauaefa. Sure, he seems to have D1 talent and is apparently from a great local family. Our coaches did their due diligence and visited/evaluated him and ultimately determined that they were going to pursue other DL prospects instead. What's wrong with that? I'm sure this guy will be a successful college player, and I would have been perfectly happy with him playing for the Mean Green, but his ratings (for what they're worth) would have placed him in the bottom half of our current recruiting class. Again, I have no doubt that the dude can play, but hell--coaches only have so many scholarships to give out, and they have to make difficult choices.

Just because one damn good coach did offer the guy doesn't necessarily mean that our staff is making an egregious error. Our coaches have to have SOME faith in their own evaluations, even after striking out a few times in the past. If we are seriously so talent blind that we have given up on formulating our own independent assessments and are simply sitting around waiting to take cues from Larry Coker, then we just need to give up on this recruiting class.

• Upvote 2

That's what they said about Dat Ngyuen, Zach Thomas, Booger and just about every other "too" player out of HS.

The fact is, Larry Coker, the guy that has now beaten us twice with a tin can and a roll of duct tape see's something in him but our guy doesn't. That has me worried.

Rick

I was just making a comment on his overall appearance and not his athletic ability but I am going to go out on a limb here and say that he is not going to be any of those players.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2015 at 3:55 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

My bad dudes.

Still... Just because he's from down the road doesn't mean we must have him, and we shouldn't be bent out of shape over not getting him since we are landing Combs & Howard. (never even offered, so our staff must not really think he can help) He may go on to do great things in San Antonio. If so, then we can piss & moan, but for now, chill.

Bring out the piss and moans.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 1/27/2015 at 6:46 PM, Lydia Gooding said:

Legendary.....?.... They beat us...congrats? Is that what you want to be in order? He walked into the best case scenario at Miami. He got the utsa gig because of walking into that scenario. Dude has made the best of what he has been given at utsa, but I am going to rain on his parade if given the opportunity bc I want to. Oh and I signed up on GMG on my wifes FB on accident. Oh well...

welcome back! please post more!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UTSA Fan said:

**WARNING I ROOT FOR UNT AND UTSA PROCEDE WITH CAUTION**     Met him in person a couple times and he is as good a guy as stated on this thread. It is refreshing to see athletes that are solid off the field as well.

Is that WARNING something you type every time or an enforced 'fix' of your posts?

2 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

Is that WARNING something you type every time or an enforced 'fix' of your posts?

I do it. I feel if I had an Eagle and UNT screen name and people "found out" I rooted for the other as well, I would be run off as a troll. So, I openly declare I root for the other as well (the mods took off the Eagle and put up the KFC thing) but still get crap for being a troll. So, I place the disclaimer on posts now. Funny thing, if I post something the community would see as UNT positive I usually get down voted. So, I visit to learn about UNT as much as I can to learn and keep up to speed with the program and look past the bravado. I like to try and contribute as I can from "the dark side" to answer posted questions or give information I think may be helpful (see my posts about no parking at the Alamodome which apparently were ignored by some). All in all, very exciting times for UNT with a cleaned house in the AD. 

Edited by UTSA Fan