'15 DL LB TE Josiah Tauaefa

Devonte Fields at Trinity Valley is just sitting there waiting for someone to make him an offer. Current 4 star, fomer Big12 defensive POY. Time to show these kids that everyone makes mistakes.

If you can play at a high level, surely we can treat the mistake as a learning opportunity and life lesson.

Edited by greenit
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Maybe the reason we don't want this kid is we have a secret secret secret 5 Star D Lineman hidden under the stairs of the Hurley Administration building just waiting for his chance to sign on the dotted line for us?

I mean "Maybe" isn't a "No Way", so it's a possibility, right?

Rick

You're comparing this kid to a 5 star recruit?

Devonte Fields at Trinity Valley is just sitting there waiting for someone to make him an offer. Current 4 star, fomer Big12 defensive POY. Time to show these kids that everyone makes mistakes.

If you can play at a high level, surely we can treat the mistake as a learning opportunity and life lesson.

Devonte Fields didnt do so hot at the Juco level last year considering he was just a bad ass at the D1 level but hey maybe he didnt apply himself because he wasnt playing higher level competition. I wouldnt mind seeing if Coach Pat can light a fire under his butt and get him playing at a high level again. Well worth the chance.

You can't be serious???? This kid is a fool of epic proportions.

https://www.tcu360.com/campus/2014/07/32524.defensive-end-devonte-fields-separated-university-following-domestic-dispute

https://www.tcu360.com/campus/2014/01/19220.tcu-defensive-end-devonte-fields-attacked-and-robbed-campus-home

http://www.tcu360.com/football/2014/08/32593.curious-career-devonte%E2%80%99-fields

Even if we get a commit from Combs, that will give us two defensive lineman commits for 2015. I'm not sold that we should offer a kid just because he is local and has a few FBS offers, if the coaching staff doesn't see him as a fit then so be it. I just don't understand why we're not casting a wider net with DL players and signing more of them?

It's off topic but I keep circling back to the class of 2012 and how bad it hurt us last year and will continue to hurt us this year. Some P5 schools can have a class end up being a wash and more or less not skip a beat. At a school like UNT you simply can not have a class filled with misses and expect to be a bowl team. What should be the strength of our team in 2015 (seniors & redshirt juniors) is a weakness and because of that you see a spike in JUCO signings. I hope 2015 turns out to be like 2013 and our worries are put to rest by our current players making a huge jump but I am skeptical to say the least.

Even if we get a commit from Combs, that will give us two defensive lineman commits for 2015. I'm not sold that we should offer a kid just because he is local and has a few FBS offers, if the coaching staff doesn't see him as a fit then so be it. I just don't understand why we're not casting a wider net with DL players and signing more of them?

It's off topic but I keep circling back to the class of 2012 and how bad it hurt us last year and will continue to hurt us this year. Some P5 schools can have a class end up being a wash and more or less not skip a beat. At a school like UNT you simply can not have a class filled with misses and expect to be a bowl team. What should be the strength of our team in 2015 (seniors & redshirt juniors) is a weakness and because of that you see a spike in JUCO signings. I hope 2015 turns out to be like 2013 and our worries are put to rest by our current players making a huge jump but I am skeptical to say the least.

How can it be on the 2012 class in 2014? Wouldnt that make them jrs and sophs? Look at last years seniors and that should tell the story.

Good post. And yes, I do think we need more high school d-line signings. Especially at end. We don't have any d-end commits (Wegmanm will be a 3-tech DT), we only signed one DE last year (Tillman Johnson), and we didn't sign any the year before.

As for what GOMG said, I'd argue that we didn't have enough production from our underclassmen. In 2013 we had 4 all-CUSA seniors and 2 all-CUSA juniors. Last year we had 3 all-CUSA seniors (just 1 less), but 0 all-CUSA juniors, sophomores, or freshman. Harris was the only player from the 2012 class to be honorable mention. And we've lost so many, like ntmeangreen11 said, that hurts a lot too. We need the ones still here to step up huge this year.

They were only able to sign about 14 kids last year since they didn't lose many seniors last year, so they're able to backcount those spots they didn't use and sign a huge class. They lost a lot of seniors, so they had a lot of open spots. That being said, they've owned us in head to head recruiting.

Edited by BillySee58

They were only able to sign about 14 kids last year since they didn't lose many seniors last year, so they're able to backcount those spots they didn't use and sign a huge class. They lost a lot of seniors, so they had a lot of open spots. That being said, they've owned us in head to head recruiting.

Yeah, and people will still overlook that a program 4 years old with no facilities to really speak of and a campus that looks like a legit community college is pounding our skulls on the recruiting trail. The country club thing that this athletic department tries to maintain is aggravating. We the fans and the administration are sitting by letting everyone pass us by. Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What a great hire by Lynn Hickey to get their program started.

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=613789

I can only imagine what she could accomplish if she had half the facilities and location to work with that we do?

Rick

You know who else interviewed for that UTSA AD position ...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/cusa/2014/08/31/college-football-utsa-texas-san-antonio-roadrunners/14862029/

Edited by NT03