UAB President Ray L. Watts Announces End of Football, Bowling and Rifl

Jason Howeth

I hope they choose to play in the bowl game and they can go out with a W. I hate to see this happen to any program.

Surely a bowl game will pick them up. Great fodder for a game. Should do well for a broadcast. I know I'll be watching.

And, with this being the last chance to see their team play, I bet UAB travels VERY WELL to whatever bowl they go to (unless it's the freaking Hawaii bowl or the Bahamas Bowl).

• Upvote 2

Enjoy those home games against UTEP and UTSA while they last, boys. I think we see this with any university system where the satellite plays FBS in the G5 and the home campus School plays in a P5 conference.

Thank God that we are the falgship for this system and pray that we finally decide to take athletics seriously.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UTSA and UTEP have independent boards and do not share a board like UAT and UAB.

Thank God.

I would be interested to know how many situations are out there like this?

Also, Fly made a comment that the schedule couldn't be helped because of exceptional circumstances. I really hope this isn't the "exceptional circumstance" and we only see 4 home games next year.

Because I bet other conference teams fill their spots.

I really hope we have a plan.

Time to call up the best of the UAB players that outperformed ours this season and get as many as we can to come to UNT next season. They have some really good athletes.

A 1 year QB ?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3129249/cody-clements

I hate even mentioning this though. It is really too early to talk about picking through their recently dead carcass.

• Upvote 1

Look what Cody Sokol brought to LaTech for just one year. Other teams won't wait to start positioning for good players. I'm sad for the UAB Nation and don't take it for granted that we still have our football program. However, this is an opportunity to say to their best players that we are sad to see this happen to you, but want you to know we want to talk with you about continuing your football career at North Texas and helping us be conference and bowl champions. I imagine recruiting can start soon under these circumstances. We need some help and they have some guys that can meet some needs.

• Upvote 3

As much as there is to complain about UNT athletics, and there's a lot and it's justified, this is gut wrenching to witness and is a reminder to be thankful of where we're at today. I hope nothing like this ever happens to another school. If any of the UAB athletes do happen to land here, I hope they find as special of a brotherhood as they had in Birmingham.

• Upvote 2

It is really too early to talk about picking through their recently dead carcass.

You're kidding, right? This isn't a world of kumbaya, holding hands, and properly mourning the dead. If you think programs aren't on the phone this very minute trying to scavenge the best players, I've got some easy financing deals for you. The only thing that gets more cutthroat than FBS football is the semi-pro leagues of the P5.

• Upvote 2