Shooting Three's - Jones/Benford Strategies?

cogido

Since I'm not as immersed in basketball as I am in football, could someone explain the difference between shooting and making three point shots in the Jones / Benford systems. It seems to me that under Jones the team shot and made a lot of three's. Under Benford the team can't seem to buy a three. Is that because of offensive strategies and focus of recruiting? Or just plain bad luck?

Since I'm not as immersed in basketball as I am in football, could someone explain the difference between shooting and making three point shots in the Jones / Benford systems. It seems to me that under Jones the team shot and made a lot of three's. Under Benford the team can't seem to buy a three. Is that because of offensive strategies and focus of recruiting? Or just plain bad luck?

Jones seemed more loose and let his guys bomb it from 5 feet behind the arc. Calvin Watson and Chris Davis would knock them down from near half court. Benford seems hesitant to allow his guys to do this. Apparently people on this board have the same view as Benford on three point shooting. I'm more of a jones guy in that regard. Let them bomb it from deep like we use to.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've wondered if it's because they do not practice offense in general, and specifically 3's, that often. I've heard Benford say multiple times over the years that they primarily work on defense in practices. At some point, Benford might want to change his philosphy to simply outscoring his opponnent. We've never been a good defensive team, and I haven't seen that change a whole lot since Bendford took over, especially given the amount of practice time he alledges he devotes to defense.

I've wondered if it's because they do not practice offense in general, and specifically 3's, that often. I've heard Benford say multiple times over the years that they primarily work on defense in practices. At some point, Benford might want to change his philosphy to simply outscoring his opponnent. We've never been a good defensive team, and I haven't seen that change a whole lot since Bendford took over, especially given the amount of practice time he alledges he devotes to defense.

After their first game this season Benford said they will be working on offense a lot more going forward. Off season was defense and during the season the focus seems to be offense. I just wish our guys would put the ball up more. Of course some people on this board call it a bad shot. I guess Chris Davis and Tristan Thompson were terrible because of their shot selection.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2