MGB: McCarney says UNT will sign QB in 2015

Brett Vito

Shouldn't you sign a QB every year, anyways? I would think you'd want something like 4-6 QB's every four years. Two back-ups. A starter. A red-shirt. Then account for position changes, transfers, graduations, and injuries.

What's the ideal ratio for QB's? I've admittedly not thought much about this, but the post has piqued my curiosity.

• Upvote 1

Where did the story that we were NOT going to sign any QBs this class start? I honestly don't remember. Was it based on an actual story or just a someone heard this and posted it?

And a second question, how many QBs do most schools carry on scholarship? Six seems like a lot, but four seems like the minimum necessary.

Connor Means has redshirted. That comes off on Saturday...

I assume he means after the game , right ? Don't dodge this Mac

Yeah, Vito's update inserted that fun quote as well...

"Connor Means has redshirted. That comes off on Saturday. He has some great promise. We will find out."

I'm assuming that was poorly communicated or poorly written, and he will not play on Saturday, right?

Unless the coaches think MEANS is the QB that gives the team the best chance to win? And if so... why now?

Dodge only burned DT's redshirt after he went through Dodge, Tune, & Chase freaking Baine. He literally had no one else to play QB for him.

• Upvote 1

Are we talking about QB's who are actually on ships? Because by looking over the program from the S. Miss game we have....

McNulty

Williams

Means

Greer

Wells (from Commerce...our only southpaw)

Cousins

and standing on the sideline with a jersey on but not on the official program

Shambour.(#19)

So who is actually going to show up to compete for the job in the spring?

Mini will be DT heading into his senior season, all the experience and reps. Dajon (RS soph), Means (rs fresh) and Greer (junior) will be vying to unseat him. Chumley will also be in the mix as a true freshman; if he pans out great if not he could help you in a lot of different ways.

Things change -- it could be at the time they weren't going to take a QB -- they will have 5 on ship once Chumley joins. That's a lot.

My guess is that if they take a QB it may be a juco or perhaps even a transfer which seems to be the C-USA trend but who knows for sure.

I am fine with them taking another one, but we have to do a MUCH better job of evaluating them then we have in the past several years. Our QB evaluation has been awful!

Where did the story that we were NOT going to sign any QBs this class start? I honestly don't remember. Was it based on an actual story or just a someone heard this and posted it?

And a second question, how many QBs do most schools carry on scholarship? Six seems like a lot, but four seems like the minimum necessary.

We never extended offers to any qb in the 2015 class. If you haven't offered any qbs by June, at the latest, then that's an indication that you aren't planning on taking a qb that class. At least as far as recruiting a high school qb. If we take a JUCO qb then you're more likely to see offers extended late/closer to signing day.
  • Upvote 1

Mac means that after the game on Saturday Connor Means will no longer be redshirting and will be in the mix to be the starter. He did not say he was going to burn Means' redshirt. In fact, he said McNulty is starting again. If anyone is going to be in Vegas, PLEASE take the under and give me a share of your winnings.

Greer and DW will transfer out. Their days at UNT will be over as soon as the final exams are finished, if not sooner. Greer could probably get a starting job at a bad FCS program right now, one that needs an infusion of new blood at that position, say a NIcholls State-type team. Dajon is the real question mark. Ic ould see him transferring somewhere like Texas State, where he would be a great fit for Franchione's QB-option offense. Or he, too, could go the FCS route, so as to not lose a year for transferring to another FBS team.

McNulty will start in 2015, with Means as the main backup. McNulty is Mac's guy--its beyond obvious at this point. He has stuck with him as the starter for the last half of the season, knowing full well that he is getting great bus-driving experience. Next year, its gonna be shoved down our throats that Minimac is ready to be the next DT, in print or on broadcasts.

• Upvote 5

Greer and DW will transfer out. Their days at UNT will be over as soon as the final exams are finished, if not sooner. Greer could probably get a starting job at a bad FCS program right now, one that needs an infusion of new blood at that position, say a NIcholls State-type team. Dajon is the real question mark. Ic ould see him transferring somewhere like Texas State, where he would be a great fit for Franchione's QB-option offense. Or he, too, could go the FCS route, so as to not lose a year for transferring to another FBS team.

McNulty will start in 2015, with Means as the main backup. McNulty is Mac's guy--its beyond obvious at this point. He has stuck with him as the starter for the last half of the season, knowing full well that he is getting great bus-driving experience. Next year, its gonna be shoved down our throats that Minimac is ready to be the next DT, in print or on broadcasts.

then expect attendance to continue to plummet and to win 4-5 games next year max. I have nothing against Mini but can only attest to people in my section stating that they would not be back if he started next year and the offense continued to be this boring. These are people who are the average fan who have been in those seats since Apogee opened. I hope that Means is the real deal and ready to take the job away from anyone that tries to compete with him. He certainly looked better than McNulty and Greer at the Spring Game.

My prediction is Greer transfers and DW stays.

I agree that it does sound like it could be a JUCO guy, and not someone on the roster or Chumley.

I agree with all of this. Dajon is not transferring. He may not even care enough to transfer yet. He's a freshman. Even if mcnulty starts next year, he could still have two years to start in 2016 & 2017. Seems like he is in no rush.