Mississippi Valley State (11/26/14)

CMJ

That was by far the worst game all year. If we play like that the rest of the year we won't win 10 games. This team has a lot of potential and it's time to live up to it. We need to go man seeing as how our zone defense is not quick or long enough to cover the gaps and corners. We need to full court press and ware down the opposing teams getting all of our guys involved (apparently down to -0 guys at this point). We also need to get up quicker shots. We are passing the ball around so much we are asking for a turnover. It is not difficult to run the baseline and catch and shoot in the corner, even with a defender near you. We also need to lob it up to the inside. Guys like Armani and Combs can go up and being a ball down against defenders in the post. Lob them the ball let the. Catch bring it down and go to work. If the opposing team traps kick it out and shoot the three. The teams we have played are much smaller to this point we should be shooting with zero fear, knowing we should be able to grab the offensive rebound and go right back up with it. We need to fix out offense fast. Less passing around the perimeter and more driving and kick it out or lobbing it to the big men and letting them go to work. Very disappointed in the offense the past game and a half.

We need to start TJ, Deandre, Jordan, Combs and Flannigan and let them go to work. Deandre can take alsmot anyone off the dribble which will open up the floor for guys like Jordan and TJ. When the defense adjusts you then dish it down to combs and Flannigan. We need to get this to work. Make teams respect our 3 point shooting ability so we can open up the post game. Inside out is what we need.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Perhaps our PG doesn't know what he is supposed to do like some PG's of yesteryear.

At this point it would not hurt to have CJ back and Ward gone considering the injury. Hoping it can work itself out. TJ can run the point though he does not like doing so.

Watching the mavs and wishing our guys could put up those numbers. Mavs get it to dirk and just clear out. I wish we would give it to a guy like Jordan and clear out and let him go 1-1. Our offense crowds the floor like nobody's business.

Dirk 1-8 from three

Parsons 1-8 from three

Harris 1-5 from three

Ellis 0-3 from three

If these guys can keep putting it up with no fear then so can our guys! Guys like Ellis and parsons will go 4-17 shooting and keep shooting. Why not our guys?

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Lol Andrew..... Dirk Nowitzki.....

You sir are a horses arse

If dirk can take it against NBA competition then Jordan can take it against D1 competition. I never made the comparison between the abilities of the two, only the situation. Going 1-1 against someone on you level should not be difficult. We crowd the floor offensively and create log jams. We then pass it around to much and turnovers occur. I rather put up a shot and have a chance at an offensive rebound then pass it it around and get off a poor shot or turn over the ball. Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Horrible played game against a totally overmatched team. Strange game, the pgs Eaglin and White-Pittman played very little.

Has Benford already given up on these two? Using Taylor and Harris at point didn't work even against this team.

Even though Miss Valley couldn't stop anyone inside, NT continued to bomb from outside.

I thought the team was looking better this year until this game, totally disorganized and played uninterested. You would think NT would use a game like this to work on weaknesses, but instead NT struggled to win and showed how bad they can be.

• Upvote 2

Horrible played game against a totally overmatched team. Strange game, the pgs Eaglin and White-Pittman played very little.Has Benford already given up on these two? Using Taylor and Harris at point didn't work even against this team.Even though Miss Valley couldn't stop anyone inside, NT continued to bomb from outside.I thought the team was looking better this year until this game, totally disorganized and played uninterested. You would think NT would use a game like this to work on weaknesses, but instead NT struggled to win and showed how bad they can be.

Very true. I do think TJ at this point is our best point guard.

Maybe we were trying to get Arkansas over confident by playing bad so that we can catch them off guard...?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

GMG.Com comments after the MVST game.....

If JJ was still the coach:

Just playing down to the competition

Early season warm-up for Conference

Players getting used to each other

Ran out to a big lead and then just coasted

It's a win...I'll take it

Free throw average will get better...they are working on it

Held them to their lowest point total of the year..defense looks to be an emphasis this year

Team will be fine once it gets to Conference...with CUSA conference is only thing that matters

With Benford as Coach:

Terrible game against a really bad opponent

Can't shoot free throws at all

Can't shoot the open jumper

No defense against a team getting beat by 20-30 a game

Players are not player together....too many turnovers

Team is going to get killed once it gets to conference

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

GMG.Com comments after the MVST game.....

If JJ was still the coach:

Just playing down to the competition

Early season warm-up for Conference

Players getting used to each other

Ran out to a big lead and then just coasted

It's a win...I'll take it

Free throw average will get better...they are working on it

Held them to their lowest point total of the year..defense looks to be an emphasis this year

Team will be fine once it gets to Conference...with CUSA conference is only thing that matters

With Benford as Coach:

Terrible game against a really bad opponent

Can't shoot free throws at all

Can't shoot the open jumper

No defense against a team getting beat by 20-30 a game

Players are not player together....too many turnovers

Team is going to get killed once it gets to conference

MeanGreenMens BBALL following MVST under JJ: postseason?

MeanGreenMens BBALL following MVST under Benford: 12 wins?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Benford will be gone in under 2 years and then KRAM can talk about how great the next coach is compared to Benford.;-)

That post would have made better sense if KRAM had ever once criticized JJ on this board while JJ was coaching at UNT. He didn't. It was always sunshine and puppy dogs, just like with Benford.

And don't get me wrong, I completely understand why he defends Benford. What I don't understand is trying to throw one of the best coaches we have ever had here (granted: low bar) under the bus to protect the new coach who has destroyed this program? And doing it publicly?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

Benford will be gone in under 2 years and then KRAM can talk about how great the next coach is compared to Benford.;-)

That post would have made better sense if KRAM had ever once criticized JJ on this board while JJ was coaching at UNT. He didn't. It was always sunshine and puppy dogs, just like with Benford.

And don't get me wrong, I completely understand why he defends Benford. What I don't understand is trying to throw one of the best coaches we have ever had here (granted: low bar) under the bus to protect the new coach who has destroyed this program? And doing it publicly?[/quote)

You, in one sense, are correct. I do not criticize publicly UNT coaches and/ or administrators. It does no good, is negative in spirit and reflects poorly on those who do. I don't and won't post crap about my team, my university, the staff, etc. as long as they are part of UNT they are "my folks". Once they are not UNT family, they are fair game to be immortalized as some want to do JJ (although many of the same criticized him while he was here...odd that is), or criticized as they do Coach Dodge. While they are here any negative comments I might have will be discussed with the folks who have the authority to possibly do something regarding my concerns....none of whom are frequent posters here. Maybe that will clear it up a bit for you. Even though I told you the same thing in person at the last Hot Springs BB tourney.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Like I said, I understand why you don't criticize. Some of us don't have the access you do. And, quite frankly, criticism should be public from some folks, otherwise it just gives those in power the chance to manipulate the private criticism.

I don't understand bashing people that elevated, even for a few short seasons, a UNT athletic program after those people have moved on.

And I was one of those who was critical of Jones's in game coaching when he was here. Sometimes you just don't realize what you had until its gone...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2