What would our record be?

emmitt01

Since a few on here can't read a single thread without invoking their school girl crush on DT I thought I'd pose a little hypothetical to the masses.

If we had all of the seniors from last year's team back (except for DT) what would our record this year be? I'd venture a guess that we would be sitting at 7 wins right now headed into UTSA.

• Upvote 5

I think if we had just DT, we would be at 5 wins. USM would be a win. UTEP, UAB, Indiana, latech, Rice...still losses. Our defense still would be bad in those games.

If we had everyone back but DT, I still think only 5 wins. Our defense would be a whole lot better, but UTEP, UAB, Rice, Indiana still gave our offense lots of trouble. we would not score. Close losses like Tulane and UTSA.

Sorry fellas, Only one of our losses was close enough to say there would have been a difference and that is USM. My heart says latech and rice could have been wins, but we didn't look dominating beating them with last year's squad. We would need everyone back in my opinion to get more than 7.

• Upvote 3

Since a few on here can't read a single thread without invoking their school girl crush on DT I thought I'd pose a little hypothetical to the masses.

If we had all of the seniors from last year's team back (except for DT) what would our record this year be? I'd venture a guess that we would be sitting at 7 wins right now headed into UTSA.

We would have 4 wins, just like we do going into Craphole.

I know you don't want to believe QB is the most important position on the field, because if you did , that would mean you would have to admit this team missed DT this year, and lord knows your ego could never admit being wrong. ;-)

Simply look at Craphole if you want to see how important an effective QB is in CUSA level college football. They fit your scenerio perfectly and look what has happened to them.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Yep

Lol no...we'd still be at four wins, maybe 5. DT was no where near good enough to make up for our defense this year. There's a reason he never sniffed an all conference team and had to fight for his job every offseason. A guy like DT should not be our gold standard at QB.

That said, if we had everyone else back besides DT we'd still probably only have 5 wins going into the UTSA game. Mac just hasn't recruited well at all outside of our RBs. This coaching staffs failure to not have a competent QB and decent sized dline this season is unacceptable and is why I think we'll see changes this offseason.

• Upvote 1

We would have 1 more one win (USM). Between the fact that some of our opponents are better than last year (games weren't even close) and our QB play has been so bad, I don't see any other possible wins. With DT, maybe we sneak in one more.

If DMac Jr had not lost the ball and done more than just 3 and outs in the 2nd half of Rice, that would also have been a win.

The defense can only do so much when the offense refuses to move the ball forward

• Upvote 3

For those of you who are saying the Mean Green would be the same or 1-game better than where we are now...

Have you been watching the QB play this season?

Again, it's not about what DT did/could do, it's about what we have currently. And what we have currently is certainly a step back from what we had last year. That is painfully obvious.

• Upvote 1

And what we have currently is certainly a step back from what we had last year. That is painfully obvious.

Which has been my only point all along. It's funny to watch people blatantly ignore this fact so they can stick to their preseason declaration that we wouldn't miss DT (some even said we would be better without DT. Craziness).

Humans are wrong sometimes. It says a lot about a person when they can admit as much. It says more about them when they can't...

• Downvote 1

Humans are wrong sometimes. It says a lot about a person when they can admit as much. It says more about them when they can't...

And some still wont admit that the defense was the main reason we had a good season last year.

Im still waiting for the we miss Orr, trice, Abbe, Wright, belazin, McCoy, etc articles and threads. Each one deserves their own article and thread.

• Upvote 1

Ah, yes. The North Texas fans, angry after a victory, still fantasizing that 2013 had nothing to do with the great, record-setting Derek Thompson, future first ballot UNT Hall of Fame quarterback.

Derek+Thompson+UNLV+v+North+Texas+VM9qy8

I don' think anyone is saying he had nothing to do with last year's success. He just wasn't the main reason.

• Upvote 1

You guys are all forgetting about Brelan. Add just him to this year's team and we win at least a couple more. He was a true game breaker. We have NOBODY like that this year. Even our terrible QB play would look better if we had Brelan creating short fields with his punt and kick returns and all around playmaking ability on offense. The only consistently good receiver we have now is Carlos Harris. Add Brelan and now you've got 2 receivers, instead of one, and one that's a true deep threat. Not to mention your run game opens up as teams have to at least worry about Brelan taking one to the house on any given play. Also, our TEs last year were a much better group overall than we are fielding this year---their blocking ability definitely stands out as something we've missed.

No knock on DT, but he had a more explosive group of skill players around him last year.

That's not even getting to the defense, which last year was one of the one or two best defenses that we've fielded in 20+ years. I think we're looking at 8-9 wins again. We'd still lose to Texas b/c Greer and McNulty were just completely inept in that game. We probably can't outscore Indiana, but outside of that there isn't a team on our schedule that would have moved the ball on that defense we fielded last season.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 4

We would win more games with the entire team back minus DT. Maybe three of them and would be sitting in a similar position as we were last year. I think our big issues were far more that QB.

And as I have said many times over... no amount of crappy QB play this year will have me say 'we miss last year's QB'. It simply doesn't matter and is comparing apples to oranges with so many gone. I appreciate DT doing well enough to be the bus driver of this team last year. But, I don't think him Mr. Incredible.

Defense, special teams, and a dominant run game are what won us games last year. Not QB play

Combo of all factors, but really, a lot of the offensive production was a result of turnovers caused by the defense and by good field position as a result of the special teams. Those two teams held the line when the offense couldn't and they did more than just produce good field position and turnovers, they also cut into the morale of the other teams AND they put points on the board.

I guess someone could get real into the stats and see how many points and therefore, games, were won by either great field position, points, or turnovers from the special teams and defensive units.

• Upvote 1

You guys are all forgetting about Brelan. Add just him to this year's team and we win at least a couple more. He was a true game breaker. We have NOBODY like that this year. Even our terrible QB play would look better if we had Brelan creating short fields with his punt and kick returns and all around playmaking ability on offense. The only consistently good receiver we have now is Carlos Harris. Add Brelan and now you've got 2 receivers, instead of one, and one that's a true deep threat. Not to mention your run game opens up as teams have to at least worry about Brelan taking one to the house on any given play. Also, our TEs last year were a much better group overall than we are fielding this year---their blocking ability definitely stands out as something we've missed.

No knock on DT, but he had a more explosive group of skill players around him last year.

That's not even getting to the defense, which last year was one of the one or two best defenses that we've fielded in 20+ years. I think we're looking at 8-9 wins again. We'd still lose to Texas b/c Greer and McNulty were just completely inept in that game. We probably can't outscore Indiana, but outside of that there isn't a team on our schedule that would have moved the ball on that defense we fielded last season.

Indiana has one of the worst defenses in college football. We couldn't outscore them because we didn't have a quarterback who know how to play the position. Our choices for that game were Greer, Williams, and McNulty. We went with Williams and we behind 21-0 after the first quarter due to his turnovers, and 42-10 after the third.

Indiana's defense in 2014: 97th overall, 103rd against the pass.

Anyone with a decent QB has diced Indiana this year.

• Downvote 1

I was just about to post on Brelan and how if he was back, we would be running wildcat all year long...