FIU Official Attendance: 14,824

UNTflyer

My son and I made it over now that his lacrosse season - as well as our daughter's soccer season - is done. We had fun. Stayed the whole game, even through the rain. It didn't really rain that hard at all, none in the first half.

Enjoyed the game. Proud that the team regrouped after last week and made the great effort they did today. I think there is enough character on this team to do well in the future.

Impressed that with two starting DLs out the defensive still did well getting pressure and making enough plays against the run, and when they were needed against the run. Bodes well for the future to have so many new kids on defense battling hard this late in the season.

Green Brigade was fantastic as usual.

• Upvote 5

We've gone full SMU

No, not even close.

SMU reported last weeks attendance at over 19,000 when there were very, very few people in that stadium. They report tickets sold...as in all season tickets, all single game tickets, all charity distribution tickets, and 100% student enrollment since the students have already paid for tickets. It sounds fishy since the overwhelming majority of those tickets aren't actually used, but it explains how they justify the reported figures.

Since all students have already paid an athletics fee, North Texas could easily do the same thing and report every event sold to capacity. I'm glad we don't.

I'd like to corect that attendance total.

I was working at the 32nd annual Turkey Roll Bicycle Rally and wasn't able to get to Apogee until just after halftime. I was impressed that no one checked my parking pass, looked at my ticket at the outside gate, or checked me at the Club Level entrance. Oh, and DId missed the meal as well.

Anyway, the correct total should be 14,825.

Beat UTSA

GO MEAN GREEN

Here is my guess (but it's only a guess). Tickets sold can be counted in the total attendance but I don't think that that occurred in the previous five games because the reported attendance looked pretty accurate. I believe that the saved all of the no-shows and reported them on the final tally. I'm pretty sure that student tickets don't count unless they're picked up at the gate; otherwise we'd have much more than 36,000 every game.

It was still an embarrassment of the first order for a FBS school to have that small of an attendance; especially one our size. We don't deserve to be considered a major football university with that kind of following. Sadly, the temperature was fine and there was no rain until the fourth quarter. We'll never be invited to another conference if that's what we think of this program. Losing seasons are a disappointment but we weren't guaranteed six or seven wins when we bought our tickets. This is our alma mater and our football team, win or lose. Don't disrespect the players, especially on senior day. If you have issue with the coaching and you want them to get the message then show up on game day and leave at the half.

As bad as it was on the alumni side, the student side was much worse. I can't recall a day, even in freezing weather at Fouts, that was so poorly attended (except for our magnificent band which appeared to be only marimbas and xylophones short of full strength). Does our Athletic Department do anything to promote gameday?

I think that the team plays better in front of a large crowd. It's human nature. The adrenalin gets to pumping and you naturally put forth more effort. But, it's no fun playing to an empty stadium. I'm surprised that this team was able to garner a win.

Guys, it's not my style nor am I in the physical condition to be a cheerleader. And, optimism will only carry you so far. We have to be realistic at some point and let the AD know of our concerns. The more that offer constructive criticism the better chance we have that something positive will get done.

• Upvote 3

Win and we shall return.

We were 4-2 at home this year with a below average product which is one less win than last years bowl winning team. Don't give me this "win and and we shall return" bullshit. Winning at home is one of the most important things in college football and this team has developed somehow, a home field advantage. People want to see there team win and this program has managed to do that the past four years by consistently winning at home. Yeah people want their team to win 8-10 times a year but this program is far from this. I don't know how with a sub par attendance record but McCarney has started something big at Apogee and fans need to form around this. See McCarney's record at home the last four years:

This year:4-2

2013: 5-1

2012: 3-2

2011: 4-2

Edited by Withers940
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Ok...Go 4-2 at home and 0-6 on the road should still garner great home attendance?? People pay attention to piss poor road performances. Win consistently and attendance will consistently rise. Sure, fans should still show up in force, but the average fan isn't going to show up to watch a losing product, particularly in the rain. The stadiums all over the country were looking pitiful due to the stage if the season and the weather.

Win more than we lose and people will care. Lose more than we win then we will see what we saw. GMG

We were 4-2 at home this year with a below average product which is one less win than last years bowl winning team. Don't give me this "win and and we shall return" bullshit. Winning at home is one of the most important things in college football and this team has developed somehow, a home field advantage. People want to see there team win and this program has managed to do that the past four years by consistently winning at home. Yeah people want their team to win 8-10 times a year but this program is far from this. I don't know how with a sub par attendance record but McCarney has started something big at Apogee and fans need to form around this. See McCarney's record at home the last four years:

This year:4-2

2013: 5-1

2012: 3-2

2011: 4-2

I'll bite then what is his record on the road, you do realize us heathen fans that don't worship D'Mcssiah watch the games or listen to the road games and here all about the crappy play, what is there to get excited about? Boring playstyle and losing don't make many fence sitting fans/students want to attend games.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

This is just like a late November game at Fouts during the losing Dickey years again, although I'll take Apogee and McCarney every day of the week over the other two.

If we have been good, a game in November has gotten decent attendance, like NMSU in 2002 or UTEP last year, if the weather is good. If not, all bets are off (see UTSA last year). When we are meh, though, or just awful, we get crowds that look like Saturday. I think about NMSU in 2000, WKU in 2007, and MUTS in 2011--all four of those games combined probably couldn't get to you to 10,000 butts in seats.

I've been watching UNT Football since 1990. Its been a Groundhog Day experience for the most part in those 25 football seasons--we have had 5 winning seasons in 1994, 2002-2004, and 2013. The other 20 seasons have been spread out like this, pending the next game which will probably be a loss at UTSA---4 seasons with 5 wins, 5 seasons with 4 wins (assuming UTSA wins this weekend), 4 seasons with 3 wins, 6 seasons with 2 wins, and 1 with 1 win. Winning four conference championships in a row didn't change anything once we started losing again in 2005. Winning a bowl game in your backyard with a great PR coach hasn't changed anything, either, once the losing begins again. The general fan isn't going to give 4-5 hours of time to a local team that is losing and playing a team that no one cares about in November. There are too may other games on tv that are appealing to the college football fan to battle poor weather or losing teams playing at home. And UNT students and alumni are, by and large, just general fans--they don't have any rooting interest in UNT unless they are winning or playing someone that they care to go watch in November (see K-State in 2010). Since 1990, the average UNT fan has seen 5 i-aa seasons and 20 1-A (FBS) seasons. They have seen us go to 5 bowl games, win 2 of them, and in OOC play when playing teams people usually care about, we have beaten Oregon State, Texas Tech twice, Baylor, and SMU twice. That's 6 wins against teams people have heard of and care about around DFW, 4 of which occurred in Denton.

What we need, we cannot get, which is a home game against a big P5 school, in a year that we are also actually good. From 2002-2004 and in 2013, we beat NIcholls State (2002), Baylor (2003), Idaho and Ball State (2013). Baylor was an awesome game, but they were just amazingly terrible. Imagine if we had played a team like Baylor or Tech at Apogee last season when we were good, just how much buzz that would've created? Scheduling is tough in general because it is so far out that games get booked, but when you schedule Texas Southern, Idaho, Nicholls State, and Incarnate Word, you create zero buzz for your fanbase you are supposed to be trying to appeal to. Instead, even winning those games doens't help you draw a fly for a home game in November against a SBCUSA opponent when the weather isn't usually great. Call them excuses, but that's what you get with apathy...

• Upvote 1

I like the Army and SMwho series. They are nationally known opponents who are beatable. My issue with the scheduling are the body bag games year in and year out. To pour salt into that wound our great AD schedules 2 in one year. It makes no sense and should have never happened. I am not even entirely against the body bag game, just against having one every single year. I'm also against playing powerhouse top 10 programs/budgets. Bama, LSU, Georgia, Kstate...are you kidding me? Those were inked in losses right when the phone was picked up. No mas.

I am not so sold on the Apogee record. Beating Nicholls and SMU, both winless as it turns out was not a big accomplishment. FAU and FIU were better victories, but they certainly are not something to brag about.

Obviously the home record looks great compared to a winless away record, but losing at home to La Tech and USM, both teams that NT overpowered last year, does not support a big home advantage theory.

IMO, the Rice and maybe the Indiana games have been the only big wins at Apogee.

• Upvote 1