MGB: Five late-night thoughts on UNT's win over FIU

Brett Vito

5. UNT has some serious heart as a team

There wasn’t a good spot in any of the stories I wrote for the exact quote, but McCarney talked about the heart UNT showed as a team while bouncing back from a tough loss to UTEP last week. The Mean Green could have folded up shop after seeing its bowl hopes go down the tubes, but came back and posted a pretty good win.

Tough loss? I call losing a game on the last play via a hail mary pass a tough loss. UTEP was a total lack of the heart that McCarney was talking about.

I like Emmit's idea about out of town game preparations. Just convince McCarney that the game is really being played at Apogee.

Edited by SilverEagle

Neither?

UNT90 told us this would happen, that we would only have 5 home games next year, and it will be a FCS game, most likely. But with that said, can you only imagine how many season tickets are gonna get sold for next year's home schedule? I cannot wait to hear about the increase in season ticket holders that the AD will have to handle for 2015!! As a bonus, you get the opportunity to also add a neutral-site gaem in Dallas against SMU, too!!

• Upvote 1

UNT90 told us this would happen, that we would only have 5 home games next year, and it will be a FCS game, most likely. But with that said, can you only imagine how many season tickets are gonna get sold for next year's home schedule? I cannot wait to hear about the increase in season ticket holders that the AD will have to handle for 2015!! As a bonus, you get the opportunity to also add a neutral-site gaem in Dallas against SMU, too!!

That's exactly what you'll have to do is...."imagine", cause you'll never crack the tickets-sold code of secrets.

Rick

Are you kidding me! We could have 4 games next year at home and I am there reveling and cheering on the mean green to a 4-0 home record. Love our section love our rowdies love the Mean Green beat UTSA.

GMG

• Upvote 1

Are you kidding me! We could have 4 games next year at home and I am there reveling and cheering on the mean green to a 4-0 home record. Love our section love our rowdies love the Mean Green beat UTSA.

GMG

Real quick--name the other FBS school in America that could end up having 4 home games on a 12 game schedule in 2015? Not that we will, but if we do, that would have to put as in rare air as far as being the only FBS program to have 4 home games...Al Hurley and Craig Helwig would have loved that kind of foresight for UNT Football!!

• Upvote 1

I do think we will buy a game against an FCS in the next 2 months, but time is getting short. Real short. And I don't trust this AD with anything schedule related.

We also will be looking at 5 home games dead in the eye in 2016 or 2017.

The absolute worst thing this AD does.

Edited by UNT90

I do think we will buy a game against an FCS in the next 2 months, but time is getting short. Real short. And I don't trust this AD with anything schedule related.

We also will be looking at 5 home games dead in the eye in 2016 or 2017.

The absolute worst thing this AD does.

The more I think about it, although I agree we will probably pay 400k or more for a FCS game, I could see a big time P5 powerhouse coming in and offering us a $750k to $1 million to come play them. Someone who has had a school bail on them for an OOC game or a school like Baylor, who may drop a FCS game in Waco to play us, just so it doesn't look as pathetic for them next season as this year's OOC has, since they played SMU, Northwestern State, and Buffalo. I could easiily see them dropping Incarnate Word or someone like that for us, just so they can say that they can say that they aren't playing a FCS school in OOC so that they won't get publically bashed the way they have been this season for their ridiculously easy schedule. And even more ridiculous will be the AD's stance that we will then play the equivalent of two "alternative" home games, since they aren't that far away in Waco and we can use the extra money to pay bills for the rest of the department.

The more I think about it, although I agree we will probably pay 400k or more for a FCS game, I could see a big time P5 powerhouse coming in and offering us a $750k to $1 million to come play them. Someone who has had a school bail on them for an OOC game or a school like Baylor, who may drop a FCS game in Waco to play us, just so it doesn't look as pathetic for them next season as this year's OOC has, since they played SMU, Northwestern State, and Buffalo. I could easiily see them dropping Incarnate Word or someone like that for us, just so they can say that they can say that they aren't playing a FCS school in OOC so that they won't get publically bashed the way they have been this season for their ridiculously easy schedule. And even more ridiculous will be the AD's stance that we will then play the equivalent of two "alternative" home games, since they aren't that far away in Waco and we can use the extra money to pay bills for the rest of the department.

The only problem is we really don't raise Baylor's strength of schedule enough for them to make this move.

I fully expect us to buy an FCS game (it's the lazy, easy way out, but it's always what we do when it comes to scheduling football games).

4 home games would make me seriously consider giving up the club seats and just writing off the seat license fee as an extremely bad investment. It would be a clear signal that athletics will never matter at UNT.

Again, I don't expect this to happen, but with this AD, you can never be sure.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Who started this silly notion that the SMU game would be considered a home game?

This has UNT90 written all over it with some folks just running with it. The UNT90 mind warp working with some folks it seems. Too funny, but does make for good press.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1