Iona (11/23/14)

CMJ

Iona is a really good team, and we showed we can play with teams like that in the first half. We slowed down they leading scorer in the second half by keeping Greg glued to him. Most of his points in the second half came off free throws. We just need to knock down more shots and quit the silly turnovers. I believe this team can easily be better than last years team and I can see that they're playing with more emotion which is a good sign. We finally got a test and now it's time to learn from it and improve. Far to soon to worry.

Maybe we should have told somebody to guard English and Williams, too. In case you didn't notice they scored as many points as our entire team.

They also played 39 minutes each. So much for players not being able to do that.

What baffles me is how ever other team can finish around the basket and we can't. Also concerned with shot selection. Time to not make this an equal opportunity offense.

AJ English torched us tonight. He was on a different planet and no one from UNT could stop him. Only way was to foul him.

Arkansas and their 40 mins of hell are going to really do a number on us. I wouldn't be surprised if we hit 30 TOs vs. them.

I'll give Benford credit for his decision to have Greg inside English's jersey for most of the second half to slow him down and it worked for the most part. We just couldn't score enough to chip away at the lead. Turnovers are definitely a concern but something that can be fixed. Was very impressed with the first half play and hope we can continue playing at that level. Luckily we get a lesser openent to figure things out and get some confidence back before we go on a tough stretch.

• Upvote 2

I give the team A for effort. The score does not show how close this game was. We really let it get out of hand the last 3 minutes. We went for the win and gave up a lot of points the last three minutes. Point guard play was terrible tonight. Hoping it can be better. I would love to see more Pittman and Harris and a lot less Eaglin. Harris is the fastest guy with the ball I have seen in a long time in a UNT jersey. He gets out of control but man is he quick. Hoping we learn from this going forward. We have to win on Wednesday and now take at least one of the up and coming games on the road.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'll give Benford credit for his decision to have Greg inside English's jersey for most of the second half to slow him down and it worked for the most part. We just couldn't score enough to chip away at the lead. Turnovers are definitely a concern but something that can be fixed. Was very impressed with the first half play and hope we can continue playing at that level. Luckily we get a lesser openent to figure things out and get some confidence back before we go on a tough stretch.

Define "worked".
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Define "worked".

If English wasn't bringing the ball up the court, he hardly had an impact for a good amount of the second half due to Greg being on him all the time. They missed multiple threes and other shots during that time. We just couldn't gain any ground because we kept missing our shots and turning the ball over.

Edited by MeanGreen55
  • Upvote 1

If English wasn't bringing the ball up the court, he hardly had an impact for a good amount of the second half due to Greg being on him all the time. They missed multiple threes and other shots during that time. We just couldn't gain any ground because we kept missing our shots and turning the ball over.

Agreed but tell me one guy we can count on to hit a clutch shot? It's not Jordan. We have no Calvin Watson or Tristan Thomas in this program. Even if Reese ultimately helps us at the point who will be the shooter? Iona and everyone is dropping back into zone because they know our team can't shoot.

Iona is a very good team, maybe the best NT will play. For those not actually at the game, Aniefiok definitely deserved the technical. The ref may have made a bad call, but his histrionics are guaranteed to get a technical.

I thought NT played a descent game, much better than they have in the three wins. If this team plays this hard and keeps improving, I believe they make some noise in the conference.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I saw 2 terrible halves of BB. I think the 1st half was close because Iona was still asleep. They had good looks , but almost everything was short. Probably had something to do with their journey just to get here -

2 great road wins at wake and at north Texas. Makes the 14 hr train ride, 3 hr flight and 750 miles of driving worth the road trip! @ICGaels

— Brock Erickson (@GaelCoachE)

November 24, 2014

A few observations

- Can't tell you how many of players pouted everytime they were pulled.

- saw a lot of heads down , no energy in 2nd half

- a lot of confusion on offense . I have no idea what we are trying to do.

- team desperately needs Reese at point

- Armani does looked improved

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Iona is a very good team, maybe the best NT will play. For those not actually at the game, Aniefiok definitely deserved the technical. The ref may have made a bad call, but his histrionics are guaranteed to get a technical.I thought NT played a descent game, much better than they have in the three wins. If this team plays this hard and keeps improving, I believe they make some noise in the conference.

Arkansas and Creighton are better. We should make some noise this season. This team did not quit. Like Harry said we really need that clutch shooter. I'm guessing TJ can fill that void. Benford just needs to let them shoot from deep. English was throwing up shots 4 or 5 feet behind the line and knocking them down. We need TJ to step up and do this like the aforementioned Watson and Thompson.

Also could the refs be any worse? English was leading with he left arm all game and they never once called an offense foul. The refs blew a lot of calls. English easily could have had 3 or 4 offensive fouls if the refs called what is in the rule book.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No way we get 20 wins this year...Only way would be if future teams on our schedule lose half of their players to academics or injuries.

Anyone who thinks D was remotely good in the second half is crazy. We didn't only get beat at the line, we got beat because they shot 15-28 in second half and 6-10 from 3. Both English and Williams killed us by knocking down shot after shot...while our guys continually passed the ball to the wrong guy or in many cases...right to the other team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No way we get 20 wins this year...Only way would be if future teams on our schedule lose half of their players to academics or injuries.

Anyone who thinks D was remotely good in the second half is crazy. We didn't only get beat at the line, we got beat because they shot 15-28 in second half and 6-10 from 3. Both English and Williams killed us by knocking down shot after shot...while our guys continually passed the ball to the wrong guy or in many cases...right to the other team.

Second half D was bad. Pittman should have locked up English to start the half.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

hahahahahahha ANDREW

If they are 1 on 1 they need to take their man?? Get over yourself. Watch the spurs, no one "takes" their man, they pass and go from a good to great look sometimes an even better than great look.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

We are not the spurs. Deandre could take a lot of people off the dribble, especially if the lane was cleared. The nba is more of a 1 on 1 game than college, but we got some guys who could take their man and get an easy two or even have a chance for a three point play. The easiest thing to do in basketball is shoot the ball. Let's make some shots.m

Agree Harris can take almost anybody off the dribble only problem is he can't finish or puts up some crap shot.

We played the second half like a disorganized street ball team. It wasn't close it was never going to be close after that opening run by Iona. We don't have the offense to overcome big deficits.

Greg could not have held English to under 30 pts. Just wasn't gonna happen. He was on a different level.

We have an issue with playing team defense. When we get in that zone we let the opposition drive which leads to open shots. In man the help rotation is not good enough.

Still we are better than last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Refs also helped Iona in this one. Also, I saw numerous court violations by their bench. All of which went unnoticed by the officiating crew.

They really killed our early momentum with all the whistles...IMO

One of our more favorite referees (that called Sun Belt games all the time) was at this game -- Ray Natili

so far, we've done exactly what I thought we would do--beat three nobodies at home, lose to the one decent team we have played. With this 3-1 start we should end up at 6-2 after we finish off our home OOC (loss to Creighton),plus 4 losses on the road against Arkansas, Oklahoma State, SFA, and Texas Tech, which will get us at 6-6 before CUSA play. The 6 wins would be at home against Arkansas-Monticello, Nicholls State, Delaware State, Mississippi Valley State, Langston, and Prairie View A&M.

If we can find 9 wins in CUSA play and one in the CUSA tournament, that gets us a 15-15 record, which would be .500 and match last season's .500 record. That should be enough for the monied alums on this board and around the university to give RV the OK to extend him out a few years. Just watch...RV is gonna take care of his hire, here. I have no doubt about this at all.

• Upvote 1

so far, we've done exactly what I thought we would do--beat three nobodies at home, lose to the one decent team we have played. With this 3-1 start we should end up at 6-2 after we finish off our home OOC (loss to Creighton),plus 4 losses on the road against Arkansas, Oklahoma State, SFA, and Texas Tech, which will get us at 6-6 before CUSA play. The 6 wins would be at home against Arkansas-Monticello, Nicholls State, Delaware State, Mississippi Valley State, Langston, and Prairie View A&M.

If we can find 9 wins in CUSA play and one in the CUSA tournament, that gets us a 15-15 record, which would be .500 and match last season's .500 record. That should be enough for the monied alums on this board and around the university to give RV the OK to extend him out a few years. Just watch...RV is gonna take care of his hire, here. I have no doubt about this at all.

Who says we lose to Creighton, SFA, or Tech?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Bottom line is this team is a much better team than last year. The 20 point loss does not show how close the game really was. This team can only get better! They have hustle and do not give up. They play as a team (usually) and have good chemistry. The second half yesterday was terrible but they will learn from it. Iona is a good team. We have some great young players and even more coming in next season. Give the team some time. 3-1 is not a bad record.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2