Delaware State (11/19/14)

CMJ

Interesting...all the people who were not there want to talk about attendance, not the way the team is playing and the effort they are giving. Telling.....

This team really played hard tonight. It was great to watch as they seemed to really be having fun on the court...something I did not see last season. Don't know how it will shake out for the Mean Green this year as it is much too early to tell and the competition will get harder once we hit the conference schedule, but this was fun. But, in this early part of the season it looks to be a team having fun. Hopefully that continues. Williams is definitely the team leader at this point, but the newcomers are definitely going to contribute. Combs may just be the real deal, but as Andrew said earlier a little quiet tonight. He's a freshman learning his way in D1 ball, but sure seems like a "good get" to me. I guess we will all see as the season progresses.

So, for all the folks focusing on the fact that attendance is low, yes, you are correct. Very disappointing. These players deserve better. Student attendance is very poor even though some are indeed spread out in the Super Pit, but even so....very very poor. Attendance numbers will certainly hurt recruiting and create a poor "home court advantage", but I get the feeling that this group of players will play hard none the less. A 3-0 (4-0 counting the exhibition) start might help get a few more students out soon, but I don't expect to see much better attendance until UNT hits conference.

So, super fun tonight...would have been even more fun with a bigger crowd getting rowdy, but not to be. Thankfully this sqùad plays on and is playing well. Can only hope the solid play and wins continue. But, 3-0 is as good as it could get at this point.

Anyone who ventures over to the Super Pit this season is likely to see a different team attitude and a team that appears to have some player leadership. So far, so good. Jury is out on how it goes long term for this squad. Plus...I could be wrong, but seems that Coach Benford is subbing less (well, that is a relative term here) even as the team presses a good bit more.

Pretty fair defensive effort from the team tonight as well...at least in my opinion. Some serious lapses, but every time Deleware a State closed the gap in the second half, UNT answered. Nice to see.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

There's no student section sign all the students are confused where to sit!!!!!!!!

Snowy...is that a joke or are you being serious about the students being confused? If serious, that needed to be fixed ASAP. If kidding...LOL.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Interesting...all the people who were not there want to talk about attendance, not the way the team is playing and the effort they are giving. Telling.....

Traffic is a beating getting to/from games if you don't live in Denton. It generally takes me 30 to 45 minutes in heavy traffic to get from Carrollton to Denton. Monday night it took me over an hour to get back home as there were multiple lane closure (including times when southbound traffic was at a standstill) on 35E.

Weekday games for me are hard to commit to. It's going to have to be a more "meaningful" opponent than a team I have never heard of like Delaware State.

Had I made tonight's game I would have likely made four trips (Monday, Tonight, Saturday, Sunday) to Denton in seven days. Something needed to give given some other things that are a slightly higher priority for me right now. I need to study for an certification exam that I am taking Dec. 4th and so even the Sunday game is up in the air for me right now as I need to start devoting more time to studying.

• Upvote 2

They are.... They are sitting in the seats people pay for. Every game there are pele in or around our seats who have to move. Apparently no one is checking students. The pit crew signs are downs to be honest it's ridiculous. We pay for seats and then people get in for free and sit in them. Hoping this is addressed.

I saw pictures of last nights attendance/ it was terrible, with maybe 5 kids in the pit crew section and what looked like a crowd of under 1k.

Maybe you were at the TWU women's game...

Thanks again, RV. From a student section that was 3 sections strong at it's peak 3 years ago to 5 freaking people. Why don't you just blame it on the players again.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Apparently no one is checking students. The pit crew signs are downs to be honest it's ridiculous. We pay for seats and then people get in for free and sit in them. Hoping this is addressed.

I just don't see how this is such a problem. I always avoided the student section when I was at UNT mainly because I don't really care to stand. It's cool if they want to, but I'd rather sit and enjoy the game. And if there's an available seat that nobody else is using, I don't see the issue with taking it so as long as I'm not getting in the way of anyone else. Plus I'm really not a fan of when arena staff are super strict on checking tickets when there's no practical need to.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I just don't see how this is such a problem. I always avoided the student section when I was at UNT mainly because I don't really care to stand. It's cool if they want to, but I'd rather sit and enjoy the game. And if there's an available seat that nobody else is using, I don't see the issue with taking it so as long as I'm not getting in the way of anyone else. Plus I'm really not a fan of when arena staff are super strict on checking tickets when there's no practical need to.

So far this season there have been tons of empty seats in the student section where you wouldn't have to to worry about standing.

Of course the same can be said about the rest I the Pit.

Coming from Flower Mound via FM 2499 and FM 2181, I finally had an easy trip yesterday after getting delayed 15 minutes in Guyer traffic Friday afternoon and about 25 minutes at the 2499 to 2181 left turn on Monday evening. It is unpredictable, so I try to leave an hour before the MG hospitality room opens, or two hours before the game. I can see where coming from Carrollton can be frustrating, as there are no easy alternatives for getting across the lake until (and unless) the fan base gets large enough for DCTA to run shuttles for basketball.

That said, this schedule with a lot of home games against increasingly tougher opponents is helping the team. Having been to all three regular season games so far, I like the way the team is playing; and I will get to as many games as I can.

They are.... They are sitting in the seats people pay for. Every game there are pele in or around our seats who have to move. Apparently no one is checking students. The pit crew signs are downs to be honest it's ridiculous. We pay for seats and then people get in for free and sit in them. Hoping this is addressed.

This is so unbelievable that it has to be a bit.

I hope you have to confront people sitting in your seats every game the rest of the season.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

My first UNT basketball game was the almost sold out crowd for our Texas Tech OT victory. Students rushed the court. Needless to say attendance has been a let down since then.

I think we had somewhere around 7,000 for that game, not quite sold out but very good considering the average attendance was somewhere around 4,000 that year.

Box scores say 6,930 for that OK State game and 7,105 for Texas Tech.

I would question that. The picture on the north east side of the stadium shows how packed the Oklahoma state game was. It's the only game I have ever had to sit in the third to the top row of seats in the whole arena. There were no seats a liable beneath me in the whole arena. I think those numbers are wrong. The Oklahoma state was was far more crowded than the tech game. I have never seen the arena practically full other than the Oklaohma state game.

• Upvote 1