Nicholls (11/17/14)

CMJ

Where did I say throw up prayers? For years with guys like Davis, Watson, Hopkins, Thompson etc... We would catch and shoot out of screens constantly. These guys would shoot it up from 6 feet behind the line and knock them down. Why can't Jordan do the same? I think bad shots are shots where you drive it into the lane out of control and throw it up. A good shot is catching it and shooting it immediately before the defender can collapse on you.

Awful shots are when you drive to the hoop and throw it up out of control. Bad shots are taking a contested 3 6ft behind the arc 10 sec in the shot clock leading to a long rebound and a fast break the other way. I get that you want them to shoot more, but they need to find a better shot selection. We can get your shot anytime in the shot clock. Why not be patient run your offense and get a good look. Right now we are rushing things on the offensive end.

I also don't think we have the type of guys your want for your offense. Jordan Williams is good, but he is not a player like any of those guys you described. Not as quick a release guy or getting squared up for a shot. Maurice is a spot up shooter, TJ and DeAndre are more isolation guys. So we really dont have a knock down shooter.

UNT is 4-19 behind the 3 pt line this year.

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 1

We always managed to get by with what we had but I feel like now we have no one to throw out to cover the paint. It will be interesting to see what the coaching staff will do against a better rebounding team.

I think we will be fine in the paint. We are much better there this year then last year. Combs, Voss, and Ahmed are giving us 20 rebs and 24 ppg right now. Last year it was only Voss who was showing any production.

We are getting enough from our interior guys, but we need help from the guards. It was nice to see TJ Taylor play really well last night. DeAndre Harris looked like he had good burst. He is really the only guy who can take his man off the dribble an blow past someone. Eaglin ran the point okay, but was no threat to score it. Ward was non existent last night. Pittman played out of control. Still not sure if he can hit a down town shot.

• Upvote 1

I guess I just miss the good old days when guys would take and make the three. Run the baseline pop up out wide the corner, catch and shoot. We pass the ball around so much we are just a siting for a turn over. Get a couple passes and try to score. I am fine taking it to the paint. Just do not wait 30 seconds to do so. We turn it over to much passing it around.

• Upvote 1

I guess I just miss the good old days when guys would take and make the three. Run the baseline pop up out wide the corner, catch and shoot. We pass the ball around so much we are just a siting for a turn over. Get a couple passes and try to score. I am fine taking it to the paint. Just do not wait 30 seconds to do so. We turn it over to much passing it around.

I think the biggest problem with shooting early in the shot clock is that it, inherently, creates much more possessions for the opposition (make or miss). with our defense, size and the need to play zone I don't think Benford (or anyone) wants to give the opposition more possessions. Driving the the basket and shooting well at the line after many passes and looks for the best shot is a great offensive strategy given our current defense.

Every miss Benford throws his hands up as if he thinks the point of basketball is to not put the ball in the hoop. Unless they make.... Then he claps.

This is a slight exaggeration. He did get frustrated with in the paint offensive rebounds not going strong back up to the rim. Every time he put his hands up (which is did), he was yelling, "gotta go strong." IMHO, refs were not calling alot of contact on our inside shots and benford seemed to be frustrated that our players weren't really giving the ref's reason to call contact. he didn't get frustrated at any other shot all night; just the weak attempts in the paint.

Agree that we need outside shooting, and we have not seen that yet.

Don't mind giving minutes to four or five guys off the bench. That builds depth and minimizes the risk and impact of injuries.

Refs called this game much different than what we saw Friday afternoon against AR-Monticello. A lot of fouls, especially on offense.

Both Combs and Voss picked up early fouls, and neither was able to stay in for long stretches because of that.

Taking the ball inside worked last night, especially since we were almost perfect on freebies in the first half.

Concerns were turnovers (NICH steals) and lack of outside shooting (only one three dropped).

Ill give you my two cents after we play Creighton on December 21. That will give us several good road tests, and some home ones as well. Anything before that is worthless IMO.

Andrew, do you have any reason for not liking Benford's 30 minute suggestion? This is how championship, particularly conference tournament and NCAA tournament teams are built. Far more than not, you see tournament teams who make runs have great benches and utilize a lot of players. I like it for one reason alone, you know you have a limited amount of time you will be on the floor. I think the intensity and effort level should remain high so as to utilize every second they have on the floor.

Ill give you my two cents after we play Creighton on December 21. That will give us several good road tests, and some home ones as well. Anything before that is worthless IMO.

Andrew, do you have any reason for not liking Benford's 30 minute suggestion? This is how championship, particularly conference tournament and NCAA tournament teams are built. Far more than not, you see tournament teams who make runs have great benches and utilize a lot of players. I like it for one reason alone, you know you have a limited amount of time you will be on the floor. I think the intensity and effort level should remain high so as to utilize every second they have on the floor.

I have not seen our intensity and effort at a high level. It has,only been two games but the substitutions are getting to me a bit. It's Benfords 3rd year so I am going to be tougher on him. Subbing to much is costing the team momentum in my opinion. I am fine with guys getting a chance to play but we have yet to open up a nice lead. I think it is due in part to our substitutions. TJ scored a quick 4 points and was then benched after being in the curt for only a few minutes. At that point we were getting into the double digit lead. Then our lead went right back down. I want to get a decent lead at some point. These first couple games should have been no competition for us. We only opened up our leads in the last minute and a half of the games it seems when the other team has practically given up.

Again guys are not utilizing every second they have in the floor. I am older and out of shape but I could still run that baseline looking for a good corner 3 and hustle back on he dense and stick to my man for 3-4 minutes. We are not even doing this. I'm also not the biggest fan of the zone this year. I would like to see us go man and lock down some players. When we use to play teams with some solid players we would man up and play the guy and not the ball. Never let him leave your side. If you so this he won't even be able to shoot much less get the ball. That's how you shut down a teams scoring. If we did this subbing fresh guys would be easier to see.

• Upvote 1