MGB: Don't be surprised if UNT stands pat at QB in 2015

Brett Vito

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Just because the position is a mess this season doesn't mean it will be going forward.

I'd ten times rather focus recruiting and scholarship offers on the defensive side of the ball. Unless we're planning on going early-90s-Oilers on C-USA and putting it all on the offense, we've got to stop conference opponents and create conference turnovers.

• Upvote 1

Sometime I think BreVito is high.

"That could change. The situation with scholarships is always fluid. UNT could have a top-ranked quarterback knock on its door tomorrow that that staff would grab in a heartbeat."

"four starting offensive linemen" I know they are seniors but have they lived up to the hype at all.....I dont really think so

Why not get one more QB in? If you put the heat on the guy in front of you, he either excels or he doesn't and you replace him.

If McNulty is our QB next year, I will just die

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

i can see Greer transferring. If not after this semester, then he may wait and see how he fairs in the Spring. If McNulty starts all 4 games and he does not improve, he should be eliminated from the competition. We need to win some of these last 4 games. McNulty has done nothing to win the job and start for the rest of the year.

I usually defend Mac, but he blew the handling of the QB. I understand that he had to bench Dajon and give AM his shot. Once again, he did nothing to win the job. It should still be open. Even Greer should still be considered. Mac had a chance to put Dajon back in when McNulty got hurt. Dajon came in and ran for 20 yards and completed a short pass. Could have given him a little more time to see how it played out. He had his excuse if it didn't work out. Instead we put a hurt McNulty in and lost. Mac may not consider it McNulty's fault becuase it wasn't as ugly as Indiana and UAB, but it's a loss on McNulty. USM was a loss.

If we start out slow against FAU, then start the rotation over again. Greer, then Dajon. Anything but staying pat and racking up losses.

• Upvote 3

(Insert very upset curse words) gah.. Somebody wants to go to your school who can sling the rock.. and we tell them "dont waste your money"

We beg these players and wine and dine these players and its obvious UNT is not their first choice, more like last choice behind Juco ball. Then we question their effort. Well no (insert curse word) they didnt want to come here in the first place.

I understand landing that player that falls to you but its obvious we arent going to land "the big fish", especially if we start paying these kids.

Grab up all these kids that want to be here (if there are any) and develop them. Then see what their levep of fight is..

Dear God,

Help us.

MGN

You think Canales just called him up out of boredom and told him not to waste his time allby himself? No, our offensive guru of a head coach had a hand in it I am sure. We are toast. Unless Connor Means comes in here with his 50% HS completion percentage and all of a sudden becomes a world beater we are done. 2015 is already looking ugly. Ship is sinking already, but with another performance like this next year the ship will hit the bottom and pulling the plug will be a must if sustainability means anything to this AD, Prez, BOR, etc.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

That's got to be the last nail in the coffin. Canales has to go. What a dumbass move.

Use your noggin--why do think Canales told him that?

The way I see it, there are three possibilities:

1. The staff is not going to offer a QB this class.

2. The staff is not pursuing Chris Riddle as their main recruiting target.

3. The staff is unsure about one or both of the above.

If #1 is the reason, that's not Canales's choice to make.

If #2 is the reason, that may or may not be Canales's choice to make. But we do not know (or at least I do not know) who their main recruiting target is. I like Chris's videos, and would be glad if we signed him, but there are other fish in the sea.

If #3 is the reason, the staff needs to get on the ball (and that would be on Coach Mac), but kudos to Coach Canales for not having a kid's family shell out the cash for the tickets if there's not a better than decent chance the kid will be offered.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 3

Canales may be on the hot seat...no need of getting him to pick a Qb if he is going to be replaced. Just a guess based on the season. These last 4 games may be for Chico to save his job, or at least QB coach duties. If his job is on the line, then at least let him go out on his own terms and run the show. It would be kinda messed up for him to be let go and his hands are tied with personnel and play calling.

• Upvote 2

With Vito's relationship with the staff, his opinion is speculation as he noted. Just because NT does not have interest in Riddle does not mean that they are not frantically searching for a QB. It is possible that they are so desperate, they are concentrating on JUCOS who will be ready day one like Greer was supposed to be. They couldn't be happy with any that have played this year and I doubt they want to rely solely on Means or a grayshirt that might not even play the position.

• Upvote 2