Coker on SMU HC rumors

GreenBat

Lol.

His resume has taken a huge black-eye this season. No SMU job for Coker.

I don't think so. Considering he started from nothing, where UTSA is this year is about where they should be at this point in their development, maybe better. What they did last year is just major resume gravy.

That said, I think with the kind of cash SMU is sure to "Pony Up," they will probably be looking for a more prominent coach. Personally, I think Coker would be a good hire for them, though, even though he may not be the "sexy" hire.

I don't think so. Considering he started from nothing, where UTSA is this year is about where they should be at this point in their development, maybe better. What they did last year is just major resume gravy.

That said, I think with the kind of cash SMU is sure to "Pony Up," they will probably be looking for a more prominent coach. Personally, I think Coker would be a good hire for them, though, even though he may not be the "sexy" hire.

If they are looking for a "sexy" hire, they need look no further than whoever is at Middle Tennessee State.

• Upvote 2

Bailiff at Rice would be a real smart hire, for a lot of reasons--Texas HS ties, understanding coaching at a private school in a big city, and a salary that wouldn't be exorbitant (not that this matters for them).

If I were at SMU right now, I wouldn't hire Mack Brown for $4 million dollars at a G5 program that is about to feel the full effects of being stuck in the new i-aa. I'd put all my money toward the hoops progra over there and just run the football program to appeal to the 10k in the DFW area that have any interest in SMU Football playing in a G5 league.

Bailiff, Hudspeth at ULL, or Skip Holtz at La Tech would be my top three targets if I was there.

The Mack Brown (or similar) hire shows SMU has the money and is willing to commit it to being relevant. It gets them in the papers and it separates them from the rest of their G5 peers by showing they have the cash to make a big splash. From a perception perspective, it's a better move.

Whether or not it translates to success on the field, however, is an entirely different subject matter.

Edited by Eagle1855

Honestly the impression I get out of SMU is that there is a group of old school donors who are actually proud of the pre-death penalty days, who want to throw as much money as could ever be needed at the program to bring it back up to top five caliber by whatever means necessary.

Then, there are these academically minded board people who are just fine sticking around as a G5 program, if there is to be football at all.

Meanwhile, the public at large is indeed used to seeing the letters SMU in the newspaper, but to my somewhat outside point of view, those letters in a Dallas newspaper hold about as much weight as do the letters UNLV in the Las Vegas Review Journal, wherein the editors of the papers are graduates of their respective programs and want to give it as much press as possible regardless of lack or success or relevance.

The thing that may be the tipping point in favor of SMU is that as college football gravitates more and more toward television and more and more away from actual fans in stands, leading to an eventuality where college football games are played in empty sound stages for best television production values, SMU has the cash to weather the storm and end up in studio number 7.