Rice Owls Are The Best Football Team In Houston

Harry

The most entertaining football team in Houston is not the Houston Cougars. The most professional football team in Houston is not the Texans. The best prepared, and easily the most motivated, football team in Houston is the one that plays in Rice Stadium, the Rice Owls.

Most of Houston ignores the Owls, judging by the attendance figures at Rice Stadium. The Owls don't get high ratings and generally play games at awful times. Nobody talks about the team on the radio (well, aside from N.D. Kalu). And when the Owls do get prime time games, they have to go on the road to places like South Bend and College Station because the big-boy schools refuse to travel for the likes of Rice.

The Owls won their fourth straight game on Saturday afternoon, defeating the North Texas Mean Green (2-6) by a 41-21 score to improve their record to 4-3. The Owls scored on the first play from scrimmage when quarterback Driphus Jackson hit a wide open Jordan Taylor on a nice pass over the middle then watched as Taylor sprinted the rest of the way for the 82-yard touchdown.

It was a fun play to watch unfold in realtime. But after the game, learning that Rice had figured out earlier in the week what the North Texas defense was going to do, and then learning that Jackson and the offense were ready to run the play once they hit the field, just made it that much better.

"When we went out there, we wanted to make sure we had the look," Jackson said. "When we got it, it was just a matter of timing."

read more: http://blogs.houstonpress.com/news/2014/10/owls_football_flies_high.php

Rice's best win? 3-5 USM? At least Houston has beat 2 teams with winning records.

And I guess Rice is better because their offense is more entertaining... They score 3 more points per game than UH. But I guess defense doesn't matter to this writer. UH is #10 in scoring defense at 17.9 PPG vs Rice at #87 at 30.0 PPG.

• Upvote 2

Rice's best win? 3-5 USM? At least Houston has beat 2 teams with winning records.

And I guess Rice is better because their offense is more entertaining... They score 3 more points per game than UH. But I guess defense doesn't matter to this writer. UH is #10 in scoring defense at 17.9 PPG vs Rice at #87 at 30.0 PPG.

It's a bizarre article. And UH is probably a better football team than Rice. But who really cares?

• Upvote 1

Yea, thinking about that makes me feel a lot better about how this season is unfolding.

Everyone needs to just think about how much worse this season could be. We could be SMU. We still have a lot more football left to play and I know nothing looks bright for us but you never know. All you have to do is believe

giphy.gif