LSU Extends J.J. through 2019

This should put all the JJ won't get it done at LSU crap to a rest. Guy is a decent coach but outstanding recruiter. His players love him. To me the coaching and development is important but the ability to recruit and,maintain the top talent even moreso. That is why JJ was so damn successful here and I think it also played into why Benford was hired. You have to either recruit as well or out recruit the other teams in your conference or you are toast.

• 2 weeks later...

This should put all the JJ won't get it done at LSU crap to a rest. Guy is a decent coach but outstanding recruiter. His players love him. To me the coaching and development is important but the ability to recruit and,maintain the top talent even moreso. That is why JJ was so damn successful here and I think it also played into why Benford was hired. You have to either recruit as well or out recruit the other teams in your conference or you are toast.

LOL. Anyone who hires a recruiter first and a coach second shouldn't be in the business of hiring anyone.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

LOL. Anyone who hires a recruiter first and a coach second shouldn't be in the business of hiring anyone.

Rick

I don't know...in the college game I think the X's and O's make up about 35-40% of the difference and the remainder is talent...which is recruiting.

• Upvote 1

I don't know...in the college game I think the X's and O's make up about 35-40% of the difference and the remainder is talent...which is recruiting.

Vic Trilli disagrees.

Fact of the matter is you need someone who can do BOTH effectively, as we saw in Bedford's 1st year.,

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Vic Trilli disagrees.

Fact of the matter is you need someone who can do BOTH effectively, as we saw in Bedford's 1st year.,

You do need someone who can do both effectively. Thirty five to forty percent is a big percentage! I am just saying, no matter how good of a X's and O's guy you are, you need the horses to win big. I've seen folks elsewhere say that the college game is 90% talent and 10% bench. I know that is giving the in-game coaching way too little credit. I think it's probably closer to 40 than 35, but still you need to talent out there to be able to mold first.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

You do need someone who can do both effectively. Thirty five to forty percent is a big percentage! I am just saying, no matter how good of a X's and O's guy you are, you need the horses to win big. I've seen folks elsewhere say that the college game is 90% talent and 10% bench. I know that is giving the in-game coaching way too little credit. I think it's probably closer to 40 than 35, but still you need to talent out there to be able to mold first.

And I think you have to have both. As Benford proved year one, talent is worthless if you don't know how to develop it.

Obviously, you can't develop something that you don't have, so...

I'd put it right at 50/50 on talent/coaching and player development.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Vic Trilli disagrees.

This.

When Johnny left to go back to LSU, we should've hired an experienced head coach, or at least hired a coach from Johnny's staff to take over and keep some continuity going for the players. What was a bad idea was to hire an assistant coach from outside the program that has never been a head coach. What was a worse idea was to hire one who was known to be a great recruiter, not an x's and o's coach, just like Trilli was when we hired him. What was the worst idea was to hire one who was an alum of a giant P5 school in the state, so if he was any good, he would've been Tech's head coach wihihn a year or two. And if he wasn't any good, we were stuck with him for 4 years.

We went the worst route possible...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This.

When Johnny left to go back to LSU, we should've hired an experienced head coach, or at least hired a coach from Johnny's staff to take over and keep some continuity going for the players. What was a bad idea was to hire an assistant coach from outside the program that has never been a head coach. What was a worse idea was to hire one who was known to be a great recruiter, not an x's and o's coach, just like Trilli was when we hired him. What was the worst idea was to hire one who was an alum of a giant P5 school in the state, so if he was any good, he would've been Tech's head coach wihtin a year or two. And if wasn't any good, we were stuck with him for 4 years.

We went the worst route possible...

Completely agree.

• Upvote 1

This.

When Johnny left to go back to LSU, we should've hired an experienced head coach, or at least hired a coach from Johnny's staff to take over and keep some continuity going for the players. What was a bad idea was to hire an assistant coach from outside the program that has never been a head coach.

I think people get too wrapped into the template of what kind of coach we should hire. The consensus of who we needed to replace Todd Dodge with was a coach who was an experienced D1 head coach. You can hire a good high school coach or a good 1st time coach. Dodge didn't work out, but Gus Mahlzahn sure has (even though he was an OC first). Dodge wasn't a bad hire because he was a high school guy with no D1 HC experience. He was a bad hire because he could recruit but couldn't coach. Malzahn has proven to be good at both.

As for basketball, Brad Underwood at SFA was a first-year D1 coach, and outside of the program hire. He led then to 30+ wins and an NCAA tournament win in his first year, last year. Tasty's favorite HC candidate is Steve Lutz; a guy with no D1 HC experience at Creighton. He thinks Lutz would be a good coach and good recruiter. Benford has been an okay recruited and a bad coach so far. Maybe he turns it around, but if doesn't it's not because he had no prior D1 HC experience.

Tasty's favorite HC candidate is Steve Lutz; a guy with no D1 HC experience at Creighton. He thinks Lutz would be a good coach and good recruiter.

I do like Lutz a lot... I don't know why he hasn't landed a head coaching job yet. I do think he could jumpstart this thing in two years or less, no matter what Benford leaves behind. Assuming, of course, that Lutz has the ability actually be a HC and not just a recruiter. DFW is the perfect spot for him to make that jump, if he's capable.

Also, stating for the record again: I don't criticize the Benford hire, and I don't second-guess it now. The choice made sense at the time. What I do criticize our program and department about are what we've allowed Benford to do (including things that MUST have required AD approval, like cutting checks to Cody Hopkins or bringing in new scholarship players a month before school started, with no ships actually available), and for not terminating Benford after last season.

I do like Lutz a lot... I don't know why he hasn't landed a head coaching job yet. I do think he could jumpstart this thing in two years or less, no matter what Benford leaves behind. Assuming, of course, that Lutz has the ability actually be a HC and not just a recruiter. DFW is the perfect spot for him to make that jump, if he's capable.

Also, stating for the record again: I don't criticize the Benford hire, and I don't second-guess it now. The choice made sense at the time. What I do criticize our program and department about are what we've allowed Benford to do (including things that MUST have required AD approval, like cutting checks to Cody Hopkins or bringing in new scholarship players a month before school started, with no ships actually available), and for not terminating Benford after last season.

You're better than me, then, because I thought the Benford hire was at-best questionable. I wanted an experiecned head coach, as well. Someone like Shields at UALR or the head coach at ULL that used to be at Sam Houston. I liked the Fraschilla idea, too. But, if you went the assistant route, then Coach Forrest from the previous staff under Johnny Jones would've made more sense to me, just for continuity.

Going forward, I'd go after Brad Underwood for sure, but he's probably not going to be available by then.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...