MGB: UNT hoops madness preview

Brett Vito

The team looks like they have great chemistry. Free throw shooting was still terrible but the players seemed to love being there. I also liked seeing the "7 foot" (more like 6'10") recruit who was having a blast on the sidelines. Great showing by both the men and women. We need to pack the pit and support these players!

On a side not there are 16 players on this team. Brett who are the three walk ons? One of them was Cambell who played solid minutes and is a junior. The other seemed like a big bodied banger. The other looked like he was 12 and never touched the floor. Any news on these guys?

Also why did Harris not play? Minor injury I assume... We need him and TJ healthy is Reese cannot go to start the season.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I remember sitting there watching a future top 10 pick. Chris Jones a big east caliber player. Hopes of the top 25 and tourney run. Now I'm not sure if we will win 10 games.

These guys looked like a great team. I believe they have the chemistry this year. The key is to stay healthy (get TJ back soon!) and have Reese eligible. We have some great young players and it looks like we are getting some decent recruits in 2015. Let's win 20 this season and get a couple wins in the conference tourney and start the turn around.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I talked to Jordan Williams after it was all over. He told me that he firmly believes UNT will win 20 games this year.

He said I could quote him on it.

Benford needs to have Jordan tested for drugs. This is a 16 win team at best.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Benford needs to have Jordan tested for drugs. This is a 16 win team at best.

I have a ton of respect for Jordan Williams. He has stuck it out even when EVERYONE in his heralded recruiting class bailed on UNT and Benford.

I hope he is right. That guy deserves a season like that

• Upvote 4

I remember sitting there watching a future top 10 pick. Chris Jones a big east caliber player. Hopes of the top 25 and tourney run. Now I'm not sure if we will win 10 games.

There are enough cupcakes that we should get into double digits in the win column. Even losing to a D2 Benford was still able to win more than that in his disastrous first season here.

There are enough cupcakes that we should get into double digits in the win column. Even losing to a D2 Benford was still able to win more than that in his disastrous first season here.

This schedule is tougher then any schedule I remember JJ having.... We have always had easy games with 2 FCS or D2 teams coming to town. We always played jacks tin state, SE Louisiana, Grambling, Sam Houston State and the like... I do agree that we should win all of our non conference home games. Even so Delaware is decent and Iona and Creighton will be tough. Arkansas ,Oklahoma state, SFA, and Texas tech are all going to be tough games. CUSA is leaps and hounds tougher than the sunbelt in basketball.

Either way this teams looks fun and has a lot of energy. Free throws still looked terrible however. Defense will hopefully be better with our quick guards and long forwards. The chemistry is there. They are a family and they want to win. Let's make this happen!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This team will be a bit undersized , but competitive. Guard play is the biggest concern IMO

If we are healthy I am not concerned. TJ is a baller and if he is healthy we will be alright. A lot of this also hinges in Reese being eligible. I am hoping he can go immediately. That would really boost this team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm hopeful. It was easier to be hopeful last year. I think they have some talent but in the end they will be judged by results.

The two big men were big time busts last season. Hopefully the guys we have to replace them on the roster can be more productive.