Something I wish we would've done with Dajon (and we still can)

meangreen15

Did anyone on this board watch TCU during Andy Dalton's freshman year? GMFP would bench him the drive following a turnover to really make sure he learned the importance of protecting the football. Marcus Jackson, his backup, was a pretty good quarterback but he didn't have near the upside of Dalton. I think its clear Dalton learned the message and everyone at TCU was better off for it. I wish this is something we would have been doing with Dajon. I think doing this would have made him mature a lot more in the past couple weeks. I think the GMFP method is a lot better than Mac method of letting him continue to get rattled and then rip into him in a post game press conference. As one of the bigger DW fans on this board, I can admit I think he's a mental midget (right now). He looks like someone who reacts poorly to criticism. If he ever does get the reins back, I hope they try to handle the situation like this or at least different than we did beforehand.

• Upvote 5

The Dajon experiment is over because Dajon didn't put in the work to be a starting QB.

Maybe if he had put in said work, the 3 INTs returned for TDs doesn't happen against UAB.

Maybe if he put in the work to be a leader, he would have realized how pouting on the sidelines doesn't help his teammates.

There is a lot of blame on this coaching staff for this season, but not playing a guy who refused to prepare himself to play isn't one of them.

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 6

The Dajon experiment is over because Dajon didn't put in the work to be a starting QB.

Maybe if he had put in said work, the 3 INTs returned for TDs doesn't happen against UAB.

Maybe if he put in the work to be a leader, he would have realized how pouting on the sidelines doesn't help his teammates.

There is a lot of blame on this coaching staff for this season, but not playing a guy who refused to prepare himself to play isn't one of them.

As far as putting in the work, I don't know what to say on that. I've heard conflicting things from players, coaches, and this board.

On the leadership note, you need leaders all over the team not just at QB. That was something that was really special about last years team. That is one one of the two qualities DT had that makes me appreciate him (the other was toughness). To quote a great movie, "Attitude Reflects Leadership". I think we have 0 leadership based on the teams actions in the off-season, their on the field play, and demeanor. DW is a part of the problem, but NOT the entire problem. Was Sed Ellis putting in the work to become a leader by stealing TVs? This team lacks in every department right now, not just in talent.

This post was just a general observation about the coaching staff and the way the DW situation was handled. I want to see them handle future QB situations like this going forward. Whether it's DW again, Means, or someone who isn't even on our radar yet. I think this style teaches QB to protect the ball without completely destroying their confidence.

My only request for this post is that it doesn't turn into another "DT vs the rest of the world" conversation....

• Upvote 4

It wasn't just the UAB game. Dajon opened the Indiana game throwing an interception on the game's third play. Indiana cashed in for a TD. He threw another one in the second half.

Against Indiana, he threw two of those three TDs after we were behind 42-10. So, it wasn't as if he was lighting it up in that game either.

The interceptions and fumbles have led to 42 points for opponents over two games. Plus the sacks he takes when he doesn't just throw the ball away. You just can't put a defense, already young and breaking in six new players in the front seven, into that kind of hole game after game. Dajon did it two games in a row.

Look, you can either play it at this level or you can't. You either put in the time or your don't. No one is waiting around for your to finally get it. When a school invests a scholarship in you, you are expected to put in the work.

Dajon hasn't put in the work, okay? And, he's been here two years. At the very least, with Greer you can say, okay it's his first year. But, after having seen him, then knowing he beat out Dajon? I think that shows how little work, behind the scenes, that Dajon was putting in.

The coaching staff knows who is and isn't working. Their workouts are monitored. They know who is and isn't putting in extra time with game film.

Dan McCarney is being paid to win football games, no babysit players with fragile egos and psyches. There isn't time for that.

I'm sorry, but as I've said before, if Dajon still needs handholding after two years, he's really better off going down a level or two to play for a coach that will cater to his whims, and so he can be on the field with athletes who are slow enough for him can compete well, as was the case with Nicholls State.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Downvote 2

Macs already anointed mini Mac the QB of the present and future. The Dajon experience ended after 1 bad game. Mac would rather have a QB go 11-24 119 yds 1 td 1 int over 21-32 297 3 tds 2 ints

Where did you see this? What article or was it on the radio show? In fact, in every comment on Dejon from the coaching staff I hear he has the most talent and would be the best IF HE APPLIED HIMSELF. Dajon can put himself back into competition, if he chooses to do so! Nothing is set in stone.

• Upvote 2

As far as putting in the work, I don't know what to say on that. I've heard conflicting things from players, coaches, and this board.

On the leadership note, you need leaders all over the team not just at QB. That was something that was really special about last years team. That is one one of the two qualities DT had that makes me appreciate him (the other was toughness). To quote a great movie, "Attitude Reflects Leadership". I think we have 0 leadership based on the teams actions in the off-season, their on the field play, and demeanor. DW is a part of the problem, but NOT the entire problem. Was Sed Ellis putting in the work to become a leader by stealing TVs? This team lacks in every department right now, not just in talent.

This post was just a general observation about the coaching staff and the way the DW situation was handled. I want to see them handle future QB situations like this going forward. Whether it's DW again, Means, or someone who isn't even on our radar yet. I think this style teaches QB to protect the ball without completely destroying their confidence.

My only request for this post is that it doesn't turn into another "DT vs the rest of the world" conversation....

Richard Abbe also got into trouble pre-senior season. But, worked to get out of the dog house and contribute.

You are correct, though, leadership - as I posted a couple of days ago - is sorely lacking. Last year, Derek was a great leader. And, he was joined by Trice and Orr, in that.

The coaches, again, can only do so much. The players have to police themselves in the locker room. Last year, we had guys in the locker room who held the team accountable. This year, not as many. I'd count Y'Barbo as a leader, for sure. But, I think you have to have your QB step up in there.

McNulty is now a leader by default. Perhaps he can finally reign in the team and pull them out of the ditch. But, he'll need help.

So agree you can not trust him to not lose a game for you with attitude and work ethic he now has!

• Upvote 1

Theres a lot of assuming about Dajon. He needs work, but he isnt some lazy bum that is uncoachable. Is he a workout warrior? Probably not...like most redshirt freshmen. Is he an outspoken leader? No. probably not.

Dajon isnt a pouter like some think. He is lax, but he is not a crybaby. He's probably more mad at himself than anything.

Not working in the offseason had nothing to do with those picks. He forced those throws. He thinks he can fit passes into tight coverage. That is a mindset that has to change. Nothing to do with weights, leadership, or film study. It was a stupid decision that can only be evaluated during live reps with tight coverage.

Apparently this was not seen and corrected in practice. With our dbs giving 10 yard cushions in games, I doubt we have great tight coverage in practice and on scout team.

• Upvote 5

Theres a lot of assuming about Dajon. He needs work, but he isnt some lazy bum that is uncoachable. Is he a workout warrior? Probably not...like most redshirt freshmen. Is he an outspoken leader? No. probably not.

Dajon isnt a pouter like some think. He is lax, but he is not a crybaby. He's probably more mad at himself than anything.

Not working in the offseason had nothing to do with those picks. He forced those throws. He thinks he can fit passes into tight coverage. That is a mindset that has to change. Nothing to do with weights, leadership, or film study. It was a stupid decision that can only be evaluated during live reps with tight coverage.

Apparently this was not seen and corrected in practice. With our dbs giving 10 yard cushions in games, I doubt we have great tight coverage in practice and on scout team.

Not working in the offseason has everything to do with those picks. Recognizing coverage from watching game film? Knowing where receivers are supposed to be on all plays due to studying and mastering the playbook? Being strong enough to take the hits quarterbacks take without fumbling.

If you are not putting in the time in the weight room, in the film room, and in whichever room you choose to study the playbook - it all contributes to poor play once you hit the field.

• Upvote 1

Not working in the offseason has everything to do with those picks. Recognizing coverage from watching game film? Knowing where receivers are supposed to be on all plays due to studying and mastering the playbook? Being strong enough to take the hits quarterbacks take without fumbling.

If you are not putting in the time in the weight room, in the film room, and in whichever room you choose to study the playbook - it all contributes to poor play once you hit the field.

Really? You are reaching. Qbs get hit and fumble every weekend on every level. Lifting weights wont stop that. I guess the linemen that allowed thier qb to get hit need more film study and time in the weightroom too.

Dajon has flaws and may not be ready, but theres no need to reach. He made dumb decisions. It is what it is. He forced some passes. overestimated his athletic ability.

If he studied more, he would know more plays. I can give you that. Still does not stop the flaw in his execution and mentality. You dont need film study for a qb to throw the ball away when everyone is covered.

• Upvote 1

Really? You are reaching. Qbs get hit and fumble every weekend on every level. Lifting weights wont stop that. I guess the linemen that allowed thier qb to get hit need more film study and time in the weightroom too.

Dajon has flaws and may not be ready, but theres no need to reach. He made dumb decisions. It is what it is. He forced some passes. overestimated his athletic ability.

If he studied more, he would know more plays. I can give you that. Still does not stop the flaw in his execution and mentality. You dont need film study for a qb to throw the ball away when everyone is covered.

Except that the QB has to be able to read the defense and check into a different protection package. That's only one possible explanation, but that was less of a reach than you are implying.

Man, so very much irony in the above post. I am almost busting a gut laughing so hard.

So, let's see...in football it's the players who are responsible for doing the work required in season and off season, doing the study required to learn the system and the plays, executing those plays properly and in maintaining the proper attitude and work ethic...but in basketball the players are never responsible for the same things and it falls 100% on the coaching staff? Why are you always blaming the players?

Oh, the irony of it all. Hey, we all need a good laugh every now and and then.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Man, so very much irony in the above post. I am almost busting a gut laughing so hard.

So, let's see...in football it's the players who are responsible for doing the work required in season and off season, doing the study required to learn the system and the plays, executing those plays properly and in maintaining the proper attitude and work ethic...but in basketball the players are never responsible for the same things and it falls 100% on the coaching staff? Why are you always blaming the players?

Bingo was his namo.

Mark, I agree with what you are pointing out.

I think there is a shared responsibility. In any sport.

• Upvote 1

If he studied more and worked harder, he would have been the starter game one, he would have had 1st team reps all fall and spring. He wouldn't just be able to react to coverages and knowing where receivers should be, it would be second nature. As would protecting the football when scrambling out of the pocket.

I do love the attempt to blame our own defense for DW's turnovers. Classic stuff.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

If he still died more and worked harder,

Uh, Carlos Harris was just joking when he called DW "Jesus." He isn't actually going to die, roll aside a stone placed in front of Fouts three days later, and then lead the Mean Green into heaven.

No wonder you are so hard on DW, your expectations are WAY too high.

Apparently you have missed the questioning of the entire coaching staff about failing to raise recruiting standards.

One could also question why someone not doing what they were supposed to at that position still has a scholarship.

The players performance is ALWAYS the responsibility of the coaching staff.

ALWAYS.

Clear enough?

Edited by UNT90

If he studied more and worked harder, he would have been the starter game one, he would have had 1st team reps all fall and spring.

I do love the attempt to blame our own defense for DW's turnovers. Classic stuff.

I agree with that first part. He could have had the starting job earlier and had more reps. Does it stop him from improvising and forcing throws? Not a guarantee.

Vick, Favre, Romo are qbs who try to fit passes into tight spots. They also try to extend plays and get careless with the ball. Its their style of play. Kaepernick also does it. Its great when it works. Horrible decision when it doesnt.

the pick dajon threw straight to the uab defender was pressure and choking. No weight or film session is going to prepare him for that. The stupid decision to throw it to pegram with close coverage instead of throwing it away. Bad choice.

We got on here and said dajon would make mistakes BEFORE he took a snap. Once he got the starting job, we said he will make stupid decisions. That was based on the years of seeing rookie qbs and freshmen qbs make bad plays. But when he goes out and actually does it, some are shocked and think those mistakes were due to weights and the offseason?

• Upvote 2