The Positive

Rudy

The brightest note in all of this...at least we're not in the Sun Belt anymore. I saw part of the Arkansas State/Louisiana game tonight. When they showed the standings, all I could think about is how bad would it be to still be in that conference? Almost half the conference is made up of recent move ups, a couple of recent start ups, and, aside from ASU and UL, the lowest teams in FBS. The worst part of it is that they're all behind recent move up Georgia Southern. And don't forget that robot anus logo.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

We also scored a notch higher in the ratings over the Tech game locally...

¯_(ツ)_/¯

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/10/fsu-notre-dame-top-of-the-local-ratings-heap-lots-of-folks-watched-alabama-texas-am-too.html/?hootPostID=5949ec68d4cd77d511033c7896afd044

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 4

U La La prefers to go buy just University of

Louisiana now.

Cool. So can UTA call themselves the University of Texas now that Austin calls themselves University of Texas-Austin? Or UNT-D call themselves the University of North Texas?

If ULL called themselves just Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns it wouldn't be a fight. The "University of Louisiana" crap is borderline illegal.

Flagships are called "University of _____________" and ULM has every much right to calling themselves The University of Louisiana as ULL.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Downvote 2

I thought this, too, when I saw that game on last night. I felt sorry for both of those schools, in part, because they are both fairly solid G5 programs and would fit nicely in CUSA, but they will be in the SBC for awhile. Then I though about Texas State, who has basically become us in the SBC--the lone Texas school in a conference full of teams that almost nobody cares about at all. At that point, I thanked the Big East/AAC for taking SMU away and giving us that slot. If we had gotten stuck in the SBC with Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, Troy, New Mexico State, Idaho, Texas State, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, South Alabama, and Appalachian State, I don't know if we could have really even averaged 15k for annual attendance. As much as CUSA is SBC 2.0, it is still light years ahead of that collection just mentioned. Just by playing Rice, UTEP, UTSA, La Tech, Southern Miss, and UAB, we are in the best conference/division setup we have ever been in since the MVC days--if not better.

• Upvote 1

Cool. So can UTA call themselves the University of Texas now that Austin calls themselves University of Texas-Austin? Or UNT-D call themselves the University of North Texas?

If ULL called themselves just Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns it wouldn't be a fight. The "University of Louisiana" crap is borderline illegal.

Flagships are called "University of _____________" and ULM has every much right to calling themselves The University of Louisiana as ULL.

As far as I know, ULaLa IS the flagship of the "University of Louisiana" system.

• Upvote 4

In all seriousness, I really lament that I never got to attend a road game there. I would be all for a home and home with them if for no other reason than to go molest their tailgate someday.

As much as you love college baseball you could always just go down there for a weekend series...

ETA: while I'm sure it isn't as expansive as their football tailgate I would think they still get a tailgate fired up for baseball.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1

As much as you love college baseball you could always just go down there for a weekend series...

ETA: while I'm sure it isn't as expansive as their football tailgate I would think they still get a tailgate fired up for baseball.

I have certainly heard worse ideas in my life. I'll have to keep that in mind. In this neck of the woods I've been to LSU (sweet Jeebus, if this is what their baseball tailgating is like what the HELL is football like?), Texas (more Shiner, please), TCU (screw those hoity toity wear Armani suits to freaking baseball game pricks), and Baylor (hospitable, but hardly noteworthy).

LaLa would be a welcome addition to that list.

There is no flagship of the University of Louisiana System. Similarly, the Texas State University system does not have a flagship either.

Yet the Texas State University system has only one school who chooses to call itself Texas State, which is the name of THE SYSTEM NOT ANY ONE OF THE THREE MEMBERS. In the Hayden Fry era we were told we could not become Texas State and just drop the North because every other Ag college in the country was a "State" i.e. Okla. State, New Mexico State, Ark. State, etc. Thus T$M had reserved the name and had the option to change to it to be in conformity with the other Ag schools in the nation. San Marcos which is officially TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY AT SAN MARCOS, has no more right to the name TSU than UTA has to call itself UT. No one has chosen to challenge them on this. I personally would like to see changes to Texas State at Huntsville for Sam Houston and Texas State at Nacogdoches for SFA. Justice would only then be served for this sneaky end run pulled off by San Marcos!

There is no doubt that I'd rather be in CUSA but I wouldn't totally bash the Belt. For example, the SBC actually leads CUSA in average attendance albeit only a couple of hundred or so. Six of their teams have better attendance figures than we do. If attendance is any part of a gauge of popularity then the Sun Belt will do alright.

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette is not a flagship university but they would've been the only University of Louisiana were it not for some LSU legislators. They went through the proper channels obtaining the name from the original University of Louisiana (Tulane) and at the 11th hour some members of the legislature, almost always dominated by LSU grads, thought that if they were the only University of Louisiana it would give them too much prestige and challenge the dominance of Louisiana State. So, they made the proviso that if another university would also consent to be called the University of Louisiana (thereby greatly reducing the prestige) then the bill would be allowed to pass.

I call them Louisiana because that's what they want to be called. Notice Louisiana on their uniforms and at their stadiums. On the other hand the University of Louisiana at Monroe uses ULM on uniforms and end zone of their football stadium and prefer to do that. Some of the sports writers and publishers (notably Phil Steele) use those forms of identification as well. UL-Lafayette is the older and larger of the two.