UNT Football Scholarship Spreadsheet

NorthTexan95

Even if he were, we could not sign him to a scholarship right now.

I have no idea why this has been such a hard concept for people to grasp. The total scholarship/85-cap was never the problem. It was always the 25-per-class-cap. Like I've said the whole time, these defections were inevitable and I'd be shocked if all 82 of the scholarship players on our spreadsheet are still here in the fall. Between the chances of some of our 4 fall-arriving JUCOs and our high schools signees not making it in, and chances some of the guys currently here transfer out, there are plenty of spots open for another May-grad JUCO or two. But we signed the maximum this class.

What these defections do is open spots for potential walkons to get put on scholarship and for spots for our next class (2016).

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

But, we have an open scholarship!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol Billy, The walk ons we put on Scholly this year, will affect the 2016 class correct? As in the Total Number we have? Lets say for kicks and giggles, we have 82 ships leaving us with 25 for 2016 +3 to get to our total of 85 ships, and 28 for the signing class. Is that correct?

But, we have an open scholarship!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol Billy, The walk ons we put on Scholly this year, will affect the 2016 class correct? As in the Total Number we have? Lets say for kicks and giggles, we have 82 ships leaving us with 25 for 2016 +3 to get to our total of 85 ships, and 28 for the signing class. Is that correct?

You can only sign more than 25 in a class if you failed to sign 25 the year before. For example, if we had signed 22, 3 under 25, players in 2015, then we could sign 28, 3 over 25, in 2016. But at least 3 of those signees would have to be midterm enrollees (guys like Cortney Finney and Creighton Barr).

We signed 25 last year, so we can only sign 25 in 2016.

• Upvote 1

Dang, so how do we make up the 3 we lost?? Walk on schollys but don't they affect the 25 for next class? Or is that only a guy like Cedric Fernandes a 1 year walk on guy then scholarship?

• Upvote 1

Dang, so how do we make up the 3 we lost?? Walk on schollys but don't they affect the 25 for next class? Or is that only a guy like Cedric Fernandes a 1 year walk on guy then scholarship?

Guys like Rice & Epps transferring, paying their own way for a year, then getting schollies awarded. Then our walk-on program yields some nice players every year too. Cedric Fernandez sounds like he's going to be another in that vein. Scholarships awarded in that way don't affect our signing classes.

Guys like Finney & our other JUCOs who enroll mid-term count though.

• Upvote 1

Came in overweight and out of shape and hasn't seemed to regain what he once had. Wasn't he going through some problems with a family member being deathly ill or something? I can't remember if that was him or not.

Came in overweight and out of shape and hasn't seemed to regain what he once had. Wasn't he going through some problems with a family member being deathly ill or something? I can't remember if that was him or not.

i heard the same. hear he is real strong though. weight is an issue, especially if we plan on running hurry up.

I believe we previously showed that we had 25 recruits/transfers sign LOIs. We just announced 3 walk ons that received scholarships. I believe all 3 would count against this year's class.

Does this imply that we are expecting 3 HS/Juco players who have not yet enrolled to be no-shows come August?

I believe we previously showed that we had 25 recruits/transfers sign LOIs. We just announced 3 walk ons that received scholarships. I believe all 3 would count against this year's class.

Does this imply that we are expecting 3 HS/Juco players who have not yet enrolled to be no-shows come August?

Short answer: Nah man. We're good.

Billy,

I'm sorry man.

Harry/Cerebus,

Is there a way we can program a system reply to football scholarship queries? Including information around how many players can be signed per class VS the total 85 scholarship limit VS how walk-on scholarships are awarded?

Short answer: Nah man. We're good.

Billy,

I'm sorry man.

Harry/Cerebus,

Is there a way we can program a system reply to football scholarship queries? Including information around how many players can be signed per class VS the total 85 scholarship limit VS how walk-on scholarships are awarded?

I feel like I am pretty familiar with the rules on recruiting, but it seems you are pretty confident we are ok.

Care to elaborate?

I feel like I am pretty familiar with the rules on recruiting, but it seems you are pretty confident we are ok.

Care to elaborate?

There are 85 total scholarships available to a team, per year.

You are able to sign up to 25 players to scholarships per class. There are caveats to this, but those do not apply to UNT, and haven't since as far back as I can remember. (If you undersign one year, you can oversign up to +3, to average that number out to 25 each year.)

Unfortunately for North Texas, we've had such awful attrition over the past few years, especially the 2012 class, that even though we've signed 25 players per year for the past 4 years, we still have fewer than 85 total scholarship players.

That opens up spaces for walk-ons to be signed to scholarships to fill out the 85 spaces. In order for a walk-on to be eligible for this & not count against the signing class for that year, the walk-on has to have been on campus for a year on their own dime. All 3 of the walk-ons awarded scholarships for next year have been here for a full year, so they do not count against the scholarships available for next year's class (or this years class).

Clear as mud?

I get all that (I think), but NCAA bylaw 15.5.6.3.6 actually indicates a 2 year period instead of 1.

Bylaw 15.5.6.3.6: A student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least two academic years may receive athletically related financial aid for the first time without such aid counting as an initial award, provided the aid falls within the overall grant limitation

Rice and Bean have been here a year and Fernandes just got here. I am sure the coaching staff has it all under control, but it will be worth keeping an eye on it to see how it turns out.

I get all that (I think), but NCAA bylaw 15.5.6.3.6 actually indicates a 2 year period instead of 1.

Bylaw 15.5.6.3.6: A student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least two academic years may receive athletically related financial aid for the first time without such aid counting as an initial award, provided the aid falls within the overall grant limitation

Rice and Bean have been here a year and Fernandes just got here. I am sure the coaching staff has it all under control, but it will be worth keeping an eye on it to see how it turns out.

This is the reason we had to count Buyers, Macek, Kirby, and Skip Caldwell towards our 2014 class. By this rule we should've had to count Andy Flusche, Sheldon Wade, Erick Evans, Eric Keena, and I believe Michael Banogu towards our 2015 class. However, we didn't and we were able to sign 25 high school and JUCO players.

I don't know if there was a rule change or what, but those guys I mentioned only spent 1 season on the team as walkons before being put on scholarship, yet still were not counted towards our class. I would imagine that will be the case with Fernandes, Bean, and Rice.

• Upvote 1