Slide raises question: Why isn’t program capitalizing?

Harry

The assumption when North Texas made the move to Conference USA a couple of years ago was that life would get easier for the Mean Green.

That only made sense considering UNT would play more Texas rivals that fans and — more importantly high school players in the state — care about.

Throw in a beautiful new venue in Apogee Stadium and an experienced coach like Dan McCarney and it seemed like the pipeline to the treasure trove of talent across the state would finally start to open.

Following the events of the last week, and particularly a 30-20 loss to Southern Miss that dropped the Mean Green to 2-5 on the season, one has to wonder why UNT isn’t cashing in like it hoped.

UNT knew coming into the season that this would be a rebuilding year to a certain degree. But no one anticipated the way the Mean Green have struggled this year while trying to fill some glaring holes.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20141019-brett-vito-slide-raises-question-why-isnt-program-capitalizing.ece

The SFA vs Dallas Baptist..(No I didn't know DBH was in the Southland) game was on TV this weekend.

Both D Tackles for DBH go 285 lbs, one from Bedford TX, the other from Spring TX. One of them, forgot which one, got his 5th sack on the year in the beginning of the game.

Both D Tackles for SFA go 272 lbs from Daingerfield TX, the other 292 lbs. from Irving TX.

The game was played at DBH and it is easy to make the wrong assumption at first glance that DBH plays in a CVS Pharmacy parking lot. I'm not kidding.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually its Mac's job to "WIN" football games and if that entails changing the culture of the team so be it.

Mac has had four years. He has failed. He has already admitted " this isn't the easiest place in the world to recruit to." And the results on the field give testament to his failure at this very important aspect of his job. Now stop and think very carefully meanie greenies, what makes any of you believe for one second that all of a sudden Mac is going to become a great recruiter here at UNT? In essence he has already admitted defeat. Please wake up.

Mac is nothing more than a lame duck head coach who thanks to a very incompetent Athletic Director doesn't even have to win for the next four years (or whatever), because he knows the University is cash poor and can't afford to buy out his contract.

This is the worst possible position our football program could be in especially at this time with Texas State and UTSA surging.

Very sad. Very pathetic. No accountability.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

The SFA vs Dallas Baptist..(No I didn't know DBH was in the Southland) game was on TV this weekend.

Both D Tackles for DBH go 285 lbs, one from Bedford TX, the other from Spring TX. One of them, forgot which one, got his 5th sack on the year in the beginning of the game.

Both D Tackles for SFA go 272 lbs from Daingerfield TX, the other 292 lbs. from Irving TX.

The game was played at DBH and it is easy to make the wrong assumption at first glance that DBH plays in a CVS Pharmacy parking lot. I'm not kidding.

Rick

Houston Baptist. Dallas Baptist doesn't field a football team...

but yes, all the rest is factual and correct

• Upvote 4

Actually its Mac's job to "WIN" football games and if that entails changing the culture of the team so be it.

Mac has had four years. He has failed. He has already admitted " this isn't the easiest place in the world to recruit to." And the results on the field give testament to his failure at this very important aspect of his job. Now stop and think very carefully meanie greenies, what makes any of you believe for one second that all of a sudden Mac is going to become a great recruiter here at UNT? In escense he has already admited defeat. Please wake up.

Mac is nothing more than a lame duck head coach who thanks to a very incompetent Athletic Director doesn't even have to win for the next four years (or whatever), because he he knows the University is cash poor and can't afford to buy out his contract.

This is the worst possible position our football program could be in especially at this time with Texas State and UTSA surging.

Who is the magic man that is going to lead us to the promised lands?

Mac has had four years. He has failed. He has already admitted " this isn't the easiest place in the world to recruit to." And the results on the field give testament to his failure at this very important aspect of his job. Now stop and think very carefully meanie greenies, what makes any of you believe for one second that all of a sudden Mac is going to become a great recruiter here at UNT? In essence he has already admitted defeat. Please wake up.

Mac is nothing more than a lame duck head coach who thanks to a very incompetent Athletic Director doesn't even have to win for the next four years (or whatever), because he knows the University is cash poor and can't afford to buy out his contract.

Mac has not failed. ! He got us to a bowl game in his 3rd year, our 7th bowl game EVER. They have failed to develop a QB, and although Williams is our future, they fail to stick with him and let him learn on the job. Mac is not the type to accept defeat, so I don't see him throwing in the towel at any time. The administration needs his personality and desire for success.

• Upvote 6

Rick

Nichols had some big guys too that i am sure would come to north texas if thats all you want. Football isn't just about big. Can they run and are they strong and do they have football instincts.

• Upvote 3

Mac has not failed. ! He got us to a bowl game in his 3rd year, our 7th bowl game EVER. They have failed to develop a QB, and although Williams is our future, they fail to stick with him and let him learn on the job. Mac is not the type to accept defeat, so I don't see him throwing in the towel at any time. The administration needs his personality and desire for success.

I could argue that the pregame atmosphere and decent crowd proves things are slowly changing for the better, but one 9-4 season isn't going to change a lifetime of pitiful football and a culture built on the foundation of losing. Coach Mac was an instant shot to the arm for the program, but his inability to recruit is very troublesome and he's on the verge of losing all the momentum the program has gain the past couple seasons. I'm starting to wonder if his old school, ultra-conservative approach is a turnoff to today's recruits. If that's the case, then get ready for some dark days because no matter the results he's our coach through 2016, IMO.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I could argue that the pregame atmosphere and decent crowd proves things are slowly changing for the better, but one 9-4 season isn't going to change a lifetime of pitiful football and a culture built on the foundation of losing. Coach Mac was an instant shot to the arm for the program, but his inability to recruit is very troublesome and he's on the verge of losing all the momentum the program has gain the past couple seasons. I'm starting to wonder if his old school, ultra-conservative approach is a turnoff to today's recruits. If that's the case, then get ready for some dark days because no matter the results he's our coach through 2016, IMO.

+1, but he'll be here through 2017, minimum. Much more likely 2018. Unless he retires.

• Upvote 1

I might agree with you a bit if I didn't see this great defensive coach's D get run over the the thousandth time. A little bit of regression from last year is acceptable if you're seeing improvement as this year goes along. Also, after watching BTG this week spotlighting Chad Polk, I'm just amazed.

I've got absolutely nothing bad to say about Polk, in fact, he seems like a great kid and has a good motor and is quick. But he's basically my size and I was too small to play DE 30 years ago. There's no way we should be putting someone his size at DE.

I've been a big Mac supporter, but where are the recruits to fill these positions. He's starting to lose me fast.

• Downvote 1

I go back to looking at whether or not I think Mac is hurting the program. I see the growth in numbers at the camps. I perceive there to be more respect from the media. I see larger student turnouts. I see more alumni turnout.

When those trends start reversing themselves, I may change my mind, but for now I am keeping a stiff upper lip and focusing on the longer term.

I would not be opposed to infusing some energy with a new coordinator or two. Mac's job is to hire strong coaches and give them the authority to manage their area and recruit. To a lesser extent, he also has to play to the larger boosters to make them feel involved. He is basically the manager and motivator. The face of the program.

• Upvote 2

Something else that I hadn't thought of before now...remember last year, when nobody projected we would do all that well our first year in the conference and everybody scheduled us for their Homecoming games? Derek Thompson worked extra hard in the offseason to win his job back and everyone's questions about the defense turned out to be unwarranted as they ended up being better than expected, plus of course we had Brelan. In addition, some of our competition, like USM, La Tech, etc. had down years last year. So maybe this year we're getting what we should have expected last year? I know that doesn't justify the poor performance against a USM team that's still struggling, but last year had a lot of pleasant surprises and this year, not so much.

Essentially, is this the season we should have expected to deal with last year?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

We don't want to be known as a resting place for coaches but you have to have expectations and accountability.

I am 100% behind Mac. I do expect him to identify and fix the problems we are seeing right now. If we have issues with recruiting - fix it. He fixed it with Gaines and I'm sure he will do it again.

Nichols had some big guys too that i am sure would come to north texas if thats all you want. Football isn't just about big. Can they run and are they strong and do they have football instincts.

This.

People get way overly keyed up about size and speed, which is too often mistaken for "athleticism."

Unless we are talking about sprinting, straight line speed is nothing for football.

Some kids are born big, but do not have the "killer instinct" that makes them hate to lose. The instinct that drives them to work hard in the off season to prepare for the battles ahead during a long season.

Some kids are born fast, but do not have other traits, which coupled with speed, would make them exceptional players. To wit:

(1) What good is speed to a defensive back who does not have agility or is not disciplined enough to learn the techniques required to play the position at this level?

(2) What good is speed to a wide receiver who cannot catch the ball or who is not disciplined enough to learn the plays, block, and properly run routes?

(3) What good is speed to a running back who isn't patient enough to let his blocker open holes for him or who isn't agile enough to make defenders miss or who fumbles or who can't be counted upon to block well in pass protection?

(4) What good is speed to a quarterback who won't learn the playbook or who doesn't assume leadership of the team or who can't complete passes or who turns the ball over?

There are many different facets to being an athlete. No one with speed or strength alone should automatically be assumed to be "more athletic" than another player with less strength or speed.

Where is agility? Where is intelligence? Where is mental toughness? Where is self discipline? All of these things, in equal part, make a successful athlete. When meshed together with hours, days, weeks, and years or hard work, instinct is then born of it all. A knack for knowing where to be; for seemingly "being in the right place at the right time" more than others.

Many, many coaches have spouted this very true cliche: "You create your own luck through hard work." And, that work is not confined just to running, bench pressing and squatting.

Football is not a 40 yard dash. Nor is it a bench press or squatting contest. Those things can tell a coach how hard a player is willing to work, thereby building up trust.

These kids who are scholar athletes, their journey is just beginning. However, I have come to believe that many view it as the end. They've made it. Someone is paying for their school. They are taken care of for four or five year, so they don't put in all the work effort they should every time out.

Or, they initially put in the work, discover that there are others in the program who are in front of them on the depth chart, so they mentally check out, only putting forth the minimum effort in order to keep their "ride" for the remainder of their eligibility.

Work, work, work. Many of these player may have the raw materials to someday be successful athletes. But, at the end of the day, if they do not put in the work...they look up at the scoreboard someday, and realize they are having their asses handed to them by the likes of UAB.

What else can a coaching staff do? They are 50% culpable because they lead the program. But, in every bargain there are two parties. And, if both parties do not hold up their end of the deal, the deal goes south.

No matter what you think or believe about Dan McCarney, you are either blind, a fool, or a blind fool to believe that he hasn't busted his ass for our school and his team. At his age, he'd be crazy not to, because this may be the last shot he has to captain the ship at this level.

What do we know about the players and their end of the deal? That is: for your scholarship, you bust your ass for the program as hard and long as your head coach does.

If many of them are not putting up their end of the deal, they are cheating themselves, the coaches, the program, the school, the alumni, and the fans. And, if they slack here, they will slack throughout the rest of their lives.

If pussy is more important to them, they will be losers. If dope smoking, getting drunk, and the general party scene is more important to them, they will be losers. If xbox and video games are more important to them, they will be losers. If hanging out with their friends is more important to them, they will be losers. If huntin' and fishin' is more important to them, they will be losers. If twitter followers and facebook friends/likes are more important to them, they will be losers.

Winners sacrifice present pleasures for bigger and better future gains.

So, at 2-5, you've got to ask yourself, what is it they are doing instead of learning the playbook? What are they doing instead of learning to run routes? What are they doing instead of watching game film?

It's really past time for someone in that locker room to be a man and lead the team for the rest of the season. Commit himself to making the team better, then become the unpopular enforcer of making the rest of the team commit.

Dan McCarney and his coaching staff can't go to their dorms and apartments every night, holds their hands, read them a bedtime story, give them milk and cookies, and tuck them in. It's time for them to be men.

If I were a coach, and my team was 2-5 with few contributors, I'd go over to the Wal Mart that the players shoplift from and buy the biggest box of diapers I could find. And, while going over game film, I'd have the assistants hand out diapers to all the players who screw up, blow assignments, or don't give their best effort. And, I'd have them hand them out at practice all week to those who make the same errors in practice.

What else can you do at this point? If they want to be pampered, give them Pampers.

And, finally...

...I'd like to thank RV again for the great new helmets. Of all the things we traditionally bitch about, at least there won't be anymore helmet threads to go alongside the questioning of the coaches and players threads.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I'm thinking we have a new Offensive Coordinator next year unless Skladany retires, then Mac may not want to try and refill both Coordinator positions at the same time. Mac knows our offense has been running into a brick wall for quite some time now but RV wanted to hold on to Chico. I love Chico's attitude and commitment, but our offense from QB, most skill positions, and play calling have been sub-par. Mac knows that too. Defense needs a make over too, but Mac is all about Skladany - mutual loyalty. The Strength and Conditioning coach Wintrich (sp?) now there is a keeper, watch his career rise. LEE JACKSON needs to step in and make this program become as special and respected as the North Texas fan base / market deserve. MAN UP LEE, we are boosters and alums. Make it work, don't back off and hide.

• Upvote 2

I'm thinking we have a new Offensive Coordinator next year unless Skladany retires, then Mac may not want to try and refill both Coordinator positions at the same time. Mac knows our offense has been running into a brick wall for quite some time now but RV wanted to hold on to Chico. I love Chico's attitude and commitment, but our offense from QB, most skill positions, and play calling have been sub-par. Mac knows that too. Defense needs a make over too, but Mac is all about Skladany - mutual loyalty. The Strength and Conditioning coach Wintrich (sp?) now there is a keeper, watch his career rise. LEE JACKSON needs to step in and make this program become as special and respected as the North Texas fan base / market deserve. MAN UP LEE, we are boosters and alums. Make it work, don't back off and hide.

I didn't get a sense that Mac was bailing on any of his coaches at this point listening to the coaches show tonight. There is a lot of effort, long nights etc going into the preparation of these games. I do think every assistant will be evaluated at the end of the season. That's why even though we aren't realistically in the bowl picture these final 5 games mean a lot for all involved.

This.

People get way overly keyed up about size and speed, which is too often mistaken for "athleticism."

Unless we are talking about sprinting, straight line speed is nothing for football.

Some kids are born big, but do not have the "killer instinct" that makes them hate to lose. The instinct that drives them to work hard in the off season to prepare for the battles ahead during a long season.

Some kids are born fast, but do not have other traits, which coupled with speed, would make them exceptional players. To wit:

(1) What good is speed to a defensive back who does not have agility or is not disciplined enough to learn the techniques required to play the position at this level?

(2) What good is speed to a wide receiver who cannot catch the ball or who is not disciplined enough to learn the plays, block, and properly run routes?

(3) What good is speed to a running back who isn't patient enough to let his blocker open holes for him or who isn't agile enough to make defenders miss or who fumbles or who can't be counted upon to block well in pass protection?

(4) What good is speed to a quarterback who won't learn the playbook or who doesn't assume leadership of the team or who can't complete passes or who turns the ball over?

There are many different facets to being an athlete. No one with speed or strength alone should automatically be assumed to be "more athletic" than another player with less strength or speed.

Where is agility? Where is intelligence? Where is mental toughness? Where is self discipline? All of these things, in equal part, make a successful athlete. When meshed together with hours, days, weeks, and years or hard work, instinct is then born of it all. A knack for knowing where to be; for seemingly "being in the right place at the right time" more than others.

Many, many coaches have spouted this very true cliche: "You create your own luck through hard work." And, that work is not just confined to running, bench pressing and squatting.

Football is not a 40 yard dash. Nor is it a bench press or squatting contest. Those thing can tell a coach how hard a player is willing to work, thereby building up trust.

These kids who are scholar athletes, their journey is just beginning. However, I have come to believe that many view it as the end. They've made it. Someone is paying for their school. They are taken care of for four or five year, so they don't put in all the work effort they should every time out.

Or, they initially put in the work, discover that there are others in the program who are in front of them on the depth chart, and they mentally check out, only putting forth the minimum effort in order to keep their "ride" for the remainder of their eligibility.

Work, work, work. Many of these player may have the raw materials to someday be successful athletes. But, at the end of the day, if they do not put in the work...they look up at the scoreboard someday, and realize they are having their asses handed to them by the likes of UAB.

What else can a coaching staff do? They are 50% culpable because they lead the program. But, in every bargain there are two parties. And, if both parties do not hold up their end of the deal, the deal goes south.

No matter what you think or believe about Dan McCarney, you are either blind, a fool, or a blind fool to believe that he hasn't busted his ass for our school and his team. At his age, he'd be crazy not to, because this may be the last shot he has to captain the ship at this level.

What do we know about the players and their end of the deal? That is: for your scholarship, you bust your ass for the program as hard and long as your head coach does.

If many of them are not putting up their end of the deal, they are cheating themselves, the coaches, the program, the school, the alumni, and the fans. And, if they slack here, they will slack throughout the rest of their lives.

If pussy is more important to them, they will be losers. If dope smoking, getting drunk, and the general party scene is more important to them, they will be losers. If xbox and video games are more important to them, they will be losers. If hanging out with their friends is more important to them, they will be losers. If huntin' and fishin' is more important to them, they will be losers. If twitter followers and facebook friends/likes are more important to them, they will be losers.

So, at 2-5, you've got to ask yourself, what is it they are doing instead of learning the playbook? What are they doing instead of learning to run routes? What are they doing instead of watching game film?

It's really past time for someone in that locker room to be a man and lead the team for the rest of the season. Commit himself to making the team better, then become the unpopular enforcer of making the rest of the team commit.

Dan McCarney and his coaching staff can't go to their dorms and apartments every night, holds their hands, read them a bedtime story, give them milk and cookies, and tuck them in. It's time for them to be men.

If I were a coach, and my team was 2-5 with few contributors, I'd go over to the Wal Mart that the players shoplift from and buy the biggest box of diapers I could find. And, while going over game film, I'd have the assistants hand out diapers to all the players who screw up, blow assignments, or don't give their best effort. And, I'd have them hand them out at practice all week to those who make the same errors in practice.

What else can you do at this point? If they want to be pampered, give them Pampers.

And, finally...

...I'd like to thank RV again for the great new helmets. Of all the things we traditionally bitch about, at least there won't be anymore helmet threads to go alongside the questions of the coaches' and players' threads.

Maybe the best post I have read. But you can't teach raw size and raw speed. Recruit those two very important characteristics and coach up the rest. Great post and I agree with it all.

I nominate Silver Eagle for the best post I have read. It IS a culture thing.

This coach, who I believe may be the best since I have been here (I got here in Fall 1980), sees pretty much the same thing the other 25 or 30 coaches I have seen since 1980. We are a teachers school morphed into a music school that turned into a commuter school. It is not in the nature of teachers, musicians or commuters to DEMAND excellence from athletics. Demanding athletic excellence happens at schools with land grant oil fields, prominent business and law schools and inherently richest-of-the-rich entitled alumni.

This is the culture and mindset that our athletic department was built upon.

I never thought about it before SE put it so eloquently, but we often simply check off the boxes to provide our students the "college experience."

I love Saturdays and "winning" the tailgate (allegedly) as much as the next guy. I get together with guys who live across the street, down the street, two blocks away and one county over six times a year (spare the repetition UNT90....5 games next year) that, without football, probably wouldn't happen.

But culturally, there are a few hundred that care sitting amongst a few thousand that are there when the weather is nice.

I would like NT to reconvene the "committee that cares" to figure out what can be done to turn this ship around.

GMG

Edited by untcampbell

Rick

Think it is actually Houston Baptist, they joined Southland Conference in 2013

Maybe the best post I have read. But you can't teach raw size and raw speed. Recruit those two very important characteristics and coach up the rest. Great post and I agree with it all.

Its not all about athleticism, but you also cant judge an ATHLETE by some of the off the field stuff either. Its not a job interview. Its football. It should be a combination of both.

These guys are young and immature out of high school. Some teams/coaches know how to use that raw athleticism to win games. Some kids may not be ready to handle a full time role or be a team leader until their Jr or sr year. That does not mean they cannot help the team in some capacity and DEVELOP.

Tim Tebo started out as a situational player. He had a role and had his package. There ate plenty of athletes that run some very predictable and basic offenses every sat. The difference is they have coaches that have worked around the player's strengths and weaknesses. Texas am tweaked their offense to fit manziel's skills.

Even with DT, the system and personell was not catered to his physical skill set. If we have a lot of talent at rb, then why not go with a two back set?

you have to get the most talent/playmakers on the field as possible.