Mac has no idea what he's doing!

EagleGreen

There is a reason why there aren't many old school coaches around. That philosophy has been dead for a long time. mac needs to change his coaching philosophy or realize how irrelevant he is in today's coaching world. Even Snyder at K-State has evolved over the years.

Edited by GreenMachine
  • Upvote 3

It is time for McCarney to retire. June Jones knew when it was time to go at SMU. Mac needs to do the same. Regarding the contract extension, I thought it was a bit premature. He will be on the hot seat going into next season.

At his salary, there is no way he's in any danger of being fired as soon as next season or the next season or the season after that or probably even the season after that. Regardless of record.

• Upvote 3

If that is the case, then I'll go a step further and say the next coach here will be hired by a different athletic director than the one we have now, especially if you consider the state both basketball teams are in as well. In that case, hopefully Mac retires first. If UNT had not had the season they had last season, McCarney would almost certainly be fired this season.

I don't know if this would've made any difference but I commented a while back that UNT made a huge mistake by giving Dodge that fourth year leaving us in a position you don't want to be in, opening a new stadium with a new coach and another rebuilding program. Had Dodge been given his walking papers after year three, a new coach could've come in and started laying the foundation during the final year at Fouts so there would've been some momentum going into the first year at Apogee. Might that have made a difference. Maybe not, but maybe so.

• Upvote 5

No one is going to retire from a high paying job and NT doesn't have the money to terminate them. We are stuck with three more years of Benford and Petersen. Mac has four after this year and don't forget RV with his continued contract extensions. NT might terminate someone with a year left but the enormity of the problem seems insurmountable.

Bad hires happen everywhere, but RV's track record has got to be one of the worse. There was no reason to give Mac a new contract last year, although most of the fans were all for it. It gained NT absolutely nothing even if the football remained at a high level. It reminds of Slinker having a great first half of a year and RV giving her a raise and extension mid season and the team tanking right after that.

It all starts with a BOD that apparently is satisfied with anything, giving Jackson an extension was a signal that at good ole NT; performance is a minor factor in employment. The athletic department's only hope is that the new President will demand excellence or at least the pursuit of excellence. It is obvious and has been for a long time that changes need to be made at the top of the athletic department.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4

Look, you had to give DMac a contract extension last year. It was pretty standard for the way college football operates. Recruits like to know that the coaches they commit to will be there 2 years down the line.

Problem is, it's also pretty standard college football operations to fire a coach with 2, 3, or even 4 years left on a contract if it is painfully obvious that said coach can't get the job done. THAT IS NOT STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE AT UNT. We keep coaches around long after everyone knows they have failed. And we do it because we are cheap. Winning doesn't matter if we can save a perceived extra buck or two.

I honestly don't blame any alumni who wants nothing to do with UNT (and I know a lot like that). Why should you care about something that clearly doesn't care about itself?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If that is the case, then I'll go a step further and say the next coach here will be hired by a different athletic director than the one we have now, especially if you consider the state both basketball teams are in as well. In that case, hopefully Mac retires first. If UNT had not had the season they had last season, McCarney would almost certainly be fired this season.

I don't know if this would've made any difference but I commented a while back that UNT made a huge mistake by giving Dodge that fourth year leaving us in a position you don't want to be in, opening a new stadium with a new coach and another rebuilding program. Had Dodge been given his walking papers after year three, a new coach could've come in and started laying the foundation during the final year at Fouts so there would've been some momentum going into the first year at Apogee. Might that have made a difference. Maybe not, but maybe so.

You're kidding about the bolded part, right? On field/court success has never been a prerequisite for keeping a coaching job and RV damn sure isn't judged by his coaching hires (failures)...that's just not how we do business at North Texas.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You're kidding about the bolded part, right? On field/court success has never been a prerequisite for keeping a coaching job and RV damn sure isn't judged by his coaching hires (failures)...that's just not how we do business at North Texas.

RV will cry at a hastily called pressed and everyone will then talk about how much he cares about UNT and how he should be allowed to retire when he wants.

Never mind that he has failed to schedule ONE out of conference home game next year.

• Upvote 1

It really is pathetic that Mac came out of camp with no QB, no toughness, and WAY too much talk. ...and RV enters this season with no OOC homer next season. We look like a bunch of ass clowns and the buck stops with the head coach and athletic director. IT'S TIME!

Edited by EagleGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Mac is a good coach and good for this program. He needs to clean house though. This season will show who can coach and who can't. There are areas of this team with compatible talent which are obviously under performing.

I am not saying Mac will or will not be successful here long term, but Mac Is the one that picked all of these assistant coaches, so if the answer is indeed to "clean house", well that may or may not ultimately fix the problem. For better or for worse, and we have had tastes of both under the current regime, Mac is responsible for the success of the football program. That goes for just about any profession.