MGB: UNT women picked ninth in C-USA

Brett Vito

Both men's and women's basketball programs are in shambles right now. Peterson has been as big a disaster as the Benford hire.

The Women's program wasn't in very good shape when Peterson got here so I don't consider his hire a disaster yet. Though it is concerning that his player turnover is close to Benford's.

I didn't see the Peterson hire as a bad hire or that it would become a disaster. He had success at Wake Forrest as a HC.

Yes he did early but he left WFU before getting canned so of course he was happy to take a cush position at UNT where winning majority is not a priority for Women's Basketball

The Women's program wasn't in very good shape when Peterson got here so I don't consider his hire a disaster yet. Though it is concerning that his player turnover is close to Benford's.

What? It was on the rise. Maybe not great, but I thought it was in good position.

Peterson's turnover is alarming. I liked him based on his first year. Not sure what changed.

What? It was on the rise. Maybe not great, but I thought it was in good position.

Peterson's turnover is alarming. I liked him based on his first year. Not sure what changed.

Is that so?

06-07 9-20

07-08 14-18 (Slinker's last year)

08-09 11-20 (Shanice is hired)

09-10 9-22

10-11 5-25 (Shanice is fired)

11-12 15-16 (Aston's only season)

A one year bump after a historically bad coaching tenure does not a program on the rise make in my humble opinion. That program wasn't very good before Shanice, was Dodge level bad (comical too) with Shanice, and was still a losing program (though with better record than the previous 5 years).

Edited by Army of Dad

Karen Aston tripled the win total with basically the same roster. This program would be competing for conference titles if she were still here. I've never seen someone hate losing quite as much as Karen Aston.

That being said, Peterson was a safe hire. Decent win totals at wake forest but not roaring success either. I hope that he gets it turned around but the roster turnover (including the phenomenal recruiting class that KA left) is certainly concerning. It will definitely be an interesting year for both teams.

No way to know how Aston would have continued to do at NT. I think she would have continued to tun it around also, but one year of under .500 (no matter the turnaround) is way too small a sample size for me. After two seasons, it looks like she's gonna turn Texas in the right direction, but it's also a program with a lot tradition and the power of the brand/money behind it.

No way to know how Aston would have continued to do at NT. I think she would have continued to tun it around also, but one year of under .500 (no matter the turnaround) is way too small a sample size for me. After two seasons, it looks like she's gonna turn Texas in the right direction, but it's also a program with a lot tradition and the power of the brand/money behind it.

I suppose you are right on the small sample size. It is speculation on my part that she would have kept things going in the right direction...no way to know for sure.

Petersen took over a lot better program than Aston did. He had two Aston recruits that made the Belt All freshman team after fine first years, unfortunately Petersen has lost both of them.

It now appears that recruiting is in decline despite his statement that he is now getting players that fit into his system.