McCarney: Mean Green ‘not as talented’

Harry

do we have a coach who left here with a winning record in the last 70 years??? i honestly don't know but i would guess Fry and that's pretty much it.

This is the problem. We have been the butt of the every Texas college football joke for years, and rightfully so. Like most things in life, we got out of it what we put into it, and for decades that was very, very little.

You can't except one non-conference winning (hell, non-division winning) 9 win season to magically change all the damage that has accumulated for decades. That ain't gonna cut it. If Mac doesn't understand this, he really shouldn't be the head football coach for UNT.

It's been said on here a million times. It's going to take consistent winning (which means a consistent commitment by the UNT administration to winning) to turn this thing around,

Hell, I have 2 college friends who make fun of me for being a UNT fan. The school from which they graduated.

Win conference multiple years in a row and either beat a ranked P5 or obtain a top 25 ranking and you will see a change.

Until then? Bout 21k a game.

(I know TFLF knows this, so he must be posting from a perceived Mac perspective?)

• Upvote 2

Winning = better recruiting = consistency = attendance surging.

Mac talked the entire offseason about not being just a flash in the pan. He's one more losing effort away from being just that. Big game on Saturday. GMG

Actually, we could lose on Saturday, and then win out for an 8-4 record. The same as last year...

I think Ben was talking about the season in general, not this weekend's game specifically.

Well, if that is the case, he may be a little more right.

Everyone still needs to remember that this team is young. There is every possibility that we follow the La. Tech trajectory. Good, graduate a bunch if seniors, disappointing season, then good again.

The fact is senior laden teams win in G5 conferences. See UNT 2013.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

He has a losing record at North Texas, he doesn't really have a right to bitch.

Yes, but who has a winning record at North Texas? These guys don't live in a vacuum. They understand what an uphill battle guys like McCarney accept when they come to these schools.

If nothing else, it likely impresses them that he was able to take schools like Iowa State and North Texas and turn them into bowl teams. Not an easy feat. You notice that Iowa State hasn't exactly been the bowl regular without McCarney as it had grown into with him.

Coaches at this level understand.

I think what he probably has a right to bitch about his working his ass off, doing more than his predecessors with trying to help attendance and interest, yet coming out on Saturday home games to a beautiful new stadium that isn't near full. At some point, that might wear even a high energy guy like Mac down.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

Yes, but who has a winning record at North Texas? These guys don't live in a vacuum. They understand what an uphill battle guys like McCarney accept when they come to these schools.

If nothing else, it likely impresses them that he was able to take schools like Iowa State and North Texas and turn them into bowl teams. Not an easy feat. You notice that Iowa State hasn't exactly been the bowl regular without McCarney as it had grown into with him.

Coaches at this level understand.

I think what he probably has a right to bitch about his working his ass off, doing more than his predecessors with trying to help attendance and interest, yet coming out on Saturday home games to a beautiful new stadium that isn't near full. At some point, that might wear even a high energy guy like Mac down.

I agree with the let down from the fan base might be giving Mac, but at the same time getting throttled 2 of the last 3 weeks on TV doesn't help his cause. North Texas is a must win place to bolster attendance numbers. Not win over a dilapidated SMU team and fcs Nicholls, but against the schools like the ones that have curb stomped us on tv. I said 2 weeks ago if we were to upset Indy and beat UAB the Oct 18th game at home would be interesting to see the attendance. Now, I'm not so sure. Even if we beat UAB, the perception is still "same ole, same ole." 6-6 is a must this year. We have to at least hit bowl eligibility. This is year 4 and there are no excuses, except for of course, "we aren't as talented." Comments like that fly at North Texas and that is BS.

The 2011/2012 recruiting classes have not given us the needed production. A lot of the guys we signed out of high school in those years have flamed out and the only JUCO player who contributed was TE Andrew Power (JUCO recruiting has been way more miss than hit)

OL Grant Shaw

WR Chaz Simpson

LB Michael Stok

CB Jamone Greer

DT Terrell Brooks

JUCO QB Brent Osborn

S Kerry Swarn

JUCO CB Deleon McCord

OL Boone Feldt

S David Busby

JUCO CB DQ Johnson

WR Nick Schrapps

DE Brad Horton

CB Xavier Kelly

S Devante Davis

LB Dustin Clark

Edited by ntmeangreen11

The 2011/2012 recruiting classes have not given us the needed production. A lot of the guys we signed out of high school in those years have flamed out and the only JUCO player who contributed was TE Andrew Power (JUCO recruiting has been way more miss than hit)

OL Grant Shaw

WR Chaz Simpson

LB Michael Stok

CB Jamone Greer

DT Terrell Brooks

JUCO QB Brent Osborn

S Kerry Swarn

JUCO CB Deleon McCord

OL Boone Feldt

S David Busby

JUCO CB DQ Johnson

WR Nick Schrapps

DE Brad Horton

CB Xavier Kelly

S Devante Davis

LB Dustin Clark

Yep. The ugly truth.

OL Grant Shaw

WR Chaz Simpson

LB Michael Stok

CB Jamone Greer

DT Terrell Brooks

JUCO QB Brent Osborn

S Kerry Swarn

JUCO CB Deleon McCord

OL Boone Feldt

S David Busby

JUCO CB DQ Johnson

WR Nick Schrapps

DE Brad Horton

CB Xavier Kelly

S Devante Davis

LB Dustin Clark

You can also add WR Rod Lancaster, DB Jamarcus Jarvis, and RB Mark Lewis as 2012 guys who have defected prior to their third year on campus. The coaches have done a better job lately of signing classes that didn't have so many guys who quit or transferred out. But because of the 25 cap scholarships per class, plus the fact that a decent amount of those spots are usually filled by transfers and walkons being awarded scholarships in less than two years, the coaches can't afford to have that many guys not pan out.

OL Grant Shaw

WR Chaz Simpson

LB Michael Stok

CB Jamone Greer

DT Terrell Brooks

JUCO QB Brent Osborn

S Kerry Swarn

JUCO CB Deleon McCord

OL Boone Feldt

S David Busby

JUCO CB DQ Johnson

WR Nick Schrapps

DE Brad Horton

CB Xavier Kelly

S Devante Davis

LB Dustin Clark

Just curious, how does this compare with other teams in our conference?

One thing I know for sure after 30 years of UNT sports. Some of the greatest turncoat fans in College Sports!

Because in those thirty years... things have been just peachy keen? Having a conversation about Mac's job security right now is beyond ridiculous, but what failed coach (any sport) during that 30 year time span wasn't kept around at least a year or two too long?

Because in those thirty years... things have been just peachy keen? Having a conversation about Mac's job security right now is beyond ridiculous, but what failed coach (any sport) during that 30 year time span wasn't kept around at least a year or two too long?

I guess it could be argued that Jankovich deserved another year or two since he was replaced with Trilli.

I don't think anyone has said "fire him." I think what people have asked is, "After four years and a bowl, why do we still have so many question marks at so many positions?"

My opinion is one that few people like - North Texas has sucked for so long that it will be difficult for any coach to recruit well here.

Many posters to this board get really worked up over the two-star recruits we sign. And, that's fine. They even denigrate the star system itself. Fine. But...

...for whatever reason, the schools who sign the highly starred players seem to do the best. Do they go undefeated every year? No. But, they do well. I don't see Alabama, Florida State, OU, Texas, etc. saying, "To hell with this star system, we'll just sign anyone." I'm not saying they recruit based on the stars. But, the people who made the system are somehow identifying, more often than not, the better players.

Few, few coaches who have been in our situation - stuck with taking Unrated to two-star players, to an occassional three-star player - have done well for long. You can throw TCU's Gary Patterson into that camp. Also, the several coaches who have coached at Boise throughout the years. Until last season and this, Tulsa had made a good habit of it (see...who you hire at AD and football coach counts, TU...idiots).

Mac did build Iowa State's success on unheralded guys. Will he do the same here? We don't know. Last year's squad was teeming with Dodge leftovers. I know we all despised Dodge. I certainly had no love for him football-wise. But, in the end...his last couple of classes had a few gems.

Understand this...

...we've seen the post on the other thread showing how many kids from Mac's first two recruiting classes left or "didn't pan out" (or transferred to a JUCO, then to Baylor to sit on their bench as they had success without him contributing much). That's left us with less depth and talent than many of us thought we'd have by now.

So, what to do?

Nothing. Just suck it. You can sit and be wistful and unrealistic for only so long. But look, if everyone had a chocolate flavored penis, we'd all be more popular with the girls. We don't have chocolate flavored penises, so it is what it is; and, you'll have to work, scratch and claw for your own wool. Same with McCarney and his team.

And, whatnot.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1