McCarney: Mean Green ‘not as talented’

Harry

here were times last season when North Texas didn’t need to excel in all phases of a game to come out with a win.

The Mean Green’s standout defense was perfectly capable of carrying the load.

UNT forced turnovers in vital spots and came up with defensive touchdowns in wins over Rice and Louisiana Tech when the Mean Green’s offense struggled.

When UNT coach Dan McCarney looks at his team five games into its season, he sees an entirely different situation.

“There isn’t one phase of this team that can carry the Mean Green of 2014,” McCarney said on Monday. “We have to be good on offense. We have to be good on defense.

We have to be good on special teams. Clearly last year, there were games where our defense could carry our football team. You don’t see that now. I don’t see it at all.

There is not one phase that can carry the other phases until they get to where we want them to be.”

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20141006-football-mccarney-mean-green-not-as-talented.ece

"not as talented"

And who's fault is that, Mac? What have you been doing for the last four years? Certainly you knew you would have to replace Dodge's recruits one day.

Must be nice to be able to publicly admit you didn't recruit well the last four years after just getting a raise and contract extension.

Look, we all like getting behind a good slogan, "why not North Texas" but your admission that we aren't as talented this year begs the question to be asked, "this is just the beginning of what?"

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 15

I am often confounded by our recruiting. We sit in this hotbed for recruiting with great facilities and have solid academics with favor admittance standards, yet our classes are always rated low, no matter who the coach is. I don't know if its because a lot of local high school talent just wants to go away for a true college experience further away or if our culture and losing has really soured parents and Texas High School coaches on UNT against other similar schools. I mean, McCarney is such a vibrant and passionate guy--you'd think his optimism would really rub off on the recruits and their parents and coaches. Again, it doesn't matter who the coach has been, the overall class we end up with is never highly rated, and often times, especially under Dodge, those kids we were originally excited about never even came close to playing here or contributing much.

But I will say this, as small as we are right now, we looked like the freaking NFL compared to what SMU threw out there in week 2.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

"not as talented"

And who's fault is that, Mac? What have you been doing for the last four years? Certainly you knew you would have to replace Dodge's recruits one day.

Must be nice to be able to publicly admit you didn't recruit well the last four years, get a raise and contract extension and know that your job is safe.

Look, we all like getting behind a good slogan, "why not North Texas" but your admission that we aren't as talented this year begs the question to be asked, "this is just the beginning of what?"

Not to say that there aren't questions.... but how many seniors did we lose before this season? How many big time contributors? How many of these guys like Orr, Trice, Chancelor and Abbe are just going to be easy to replace? How many of those guys took several years to develop?

Your post makes it sound like you just cal up a store to order these great players then these guys come in and are gangbusters... easy peasy... I don't think it works that way. We have good players here, and good prospects coming in, but when you lose as much as we did how can you not expect something of a drop off.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Not to say that there aren't questions.... but how many seniors did we lose before this season? How many big time contributors? How many of these guys like Orr, Trice, Chancelor and Abbe are just going to be easy to replace? How many of those guys took several years to develop?

Your post makes it sound like you just cal up a store to order these great players then these guys come in and are gangbusters... easy peasy... I don't think it works that way. We have good players here, and good prospects coming in, but when you lose as much as we did how can you not expect something of a drop off.

Well, many said as much months ago, but what you're seeing is typical after a thrashing and 2-3 start. Carry on.

Well, many said as much months ago, but what you're seeing is typical after a thrashing and 2-3 start. Carry on.

Yes! There were a number of threads during the 2012 season about how vital it would be to do well during the 2013 season as we would graduate a lot and 2014 would likely be a rebuilding year.

• Upvote 1

Any chance Dan just gets bored of or frustrated with it? Bored of/frustrated with the inability to draw fans even when successful?

He's not on the climbing up side of his career. And, while I loudly called for experience in the next hire, I fully understand the reality of apathy the coaches and department are up against in trying to get non-UNT and UNT grads alike excited about UNT sports.

This message board is like preaching to the choir. The converts are out in the world, but they are not easy to convert. Dan could probably still command a pretty decent salary as a DL coach at a Criminal 5 school should his term here end, whether that end be voluntary or involuntary.

So, in the back of my mind, I wonder what his jumping off point is. Forget firing. I'm talking about him just sayin, "F*ck it. I've begged these people long enough, delivered better results than what were here before me. I can make enough scratch coaching a line at Texas, OU, Michigan, Iowa...wherever, and not have the headache and bitching of this place."

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Talent? I still remember and repeatedly point out; how big a deal Mac made out of the fact that there were few players on the team with multiple offers when he arrived. He as mentioned already pointed out, how small and slow the team was.

Well there are few if any here, but his recruits. He has only marginally improved recruiting despite having by far more to sell than any NT football coach.

Despite all that, I am not sure last year's team was more talented. They were a lot more experienced.

Mac is just not getting the kind of athletes that are immediately difference makers. What he hopefully is getting is players that can develop into solid players, but that takes time.

• Upvote 1

Any chance Dan just gets bored of or frustrated with it? Bored of/frustrated with the inability to draw fans even when successful?

He's not on the climbing up side of his career. And, while I loudly called for experience in the next hire, I fully understand the reality of apathy the coaches and department are up against in trying to get non-UNT and UNT grads alike excited about UNT sports.

This message board is like preaching to the choir. The converts are out in the world, but they are not easy to convert. Dan could probably still command a pretty decent salary as a DL coach at a Criminal 5 school should his term here end, whether that end be voluntary or involuntary.

So, in the back of my mind, I wonder what his jumping off point is. Forget firing. I'm talking about him just sayin, "F*ck it. I've begged these people long enough, delivered better results than what were here before me. I can make enough scratch coaching a line at Texas, OU, Michigan, Iowa...wherever, and not have the headache and bitching of this place."

Here's a good question for all of you? Why wouldn't Kansas call Dan McCarney to be their next head coach? He would be very affordable, which they can use since they have to pay off Weis. Or why wouldn't Coach Mac go up there? He can go there with the idea of rebuilding (his specialty) and go back into a conference he is VERY familiar with. And he and KU would know this is his last stop--however long it lasts. KU fans have watched ol' man Snyder resurrect that KSU program twice and he is still coaching. It would seem like a younger version of Snyder, even with the Fry connection. McCarney's optimism and ability to connect with boosters, alumni, and recruits would be a perfect fit for them. If KU gave him what ISU did--five years to rebuild the worst FBS program in America--I'd think that it would be intriguing to both parties.

And, at this point, Canales would almost certainly get RV's support and the BOR's backing to be the new head coach here, since he wouldn't cost much and he has been here for awhile now.

Not saying this has a chance of happening, but it doesn't seem that far-fetched to me...

Ya, trashing by those who filleted the people warning them months ago.

So much in the moment on this forum. If we win Saturday, you will see post after post by these same people claiming we are on our way to the West division title.

Craziness.

• Upvote 1

Man, I love the 'criminal 5' wording.

I believe in being honest. All they are doing is forming a union of conferences and schools to be able to do what they gave SMU the death penalty for. They got tired of policing themselves, so they just decided the infractions weren't going to be infractions anymore: "We're all committing these crimes, so they are not crimes."

(By crimes, I mean breaking their own rules they made as NCAA members...and, by allowing the general lawlessness of certain players who brought them money for their athletic prowess.)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here's a good question for all of you? Why wouldn't Kansas call Dan McCarney to be their next head coach? He would be very affordable, which they can use since they have to pay off Weis. Or why wouldn't Coach Mac go up there? He can go there with the idea of rebuilding (his specialty) and go back into a conference he is VERY familiar with. And he and KU would know this is his last stop--however long it lasts. KU fans have watched ol' man Snyder resurrect that KSU program twice and he is still coaching. It would seem like a younger version of Snyder, even with the Fry connection. McCarney's optimism and ability to connect with boosters, alumni, and recruits would be a perfect fit for them. If KU gave him what ISU did--five years to rebuild the worst FBS program in America--I'd think that it would be intriguing to both parties.

And, at this point, Canales would almost certainly get RV's support and the BOR's backing to be the new head coach here, since he wouldn't cost much and he has been here for awhile now.

Not saying this has a chance of happening, but it doesn't seem that far-fetched to me...

On the other hand, you assume Canales would accept. If he doesn't accept, that means RV has to make a new coaching hire. Let that set in for a minute.

Benford'd

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't buy "Not as talented". Frankly I think they are more talented. They are just not playing to their ability. I am not concerned. Dajon gives me more hope than I have had in a long time.

Dajon has a lot of potential. He has to start making throws, and get some help from his receivers. Harris played his guts out last week. Somebody else has to step up with him.

• Upvote 3

I believe in being honest. All they are doing is forming a union of conferences and schools to be able to do what they gave SMU the death penalty for. They got tired of policing themselves, so they just decided the infractions weren't going to be infractions anymore: "We're all committing these crimes, so they are not crimes."

(By crimes, I mean breaking their own rules they made as NCAA members...and, by allowing the general lawlessness of certain players who brought them money for their athletic prowess.)

Don't forget about child rape. Apparently that's fine with them, also.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He has a losing record at North Texas, he doesn't really have a right to bitch.
  • Upvote 1